Fusion Energy Breakthrough!!!

Oh look another conservative raging impotently against the future
You are so wrong

The op just brought you the news that nuclear fission can be done

When that happens - in 20 or 30 years - we will have limitless electricity

And we will no longer need petroleum (or windmills/solar panels) for transportation or lights in our home

But it is stupid of libs to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs before her replacement is ready to take over

You're all off-topic.
And you're still not able to understand that it can never be an even swap for EV's with fossil fuel powered vehicles. Think on lines of green mass transit and curtailed lifestyles.

And then apply yourself to a discussion on the topic of the 'fusion' topic.
Donald is one of those lib minimalists who wants us all to settle for less of everything while living dull, drab lives

Will we be dumping the radioactive Helium-3 and -5 material into the atmosphere? ... and what of the radiative properties of Helium, this reacts strongly in the strongest wavelengths of visible light ... (that's how we discovered Helium, you know, in the Sun) ... that'll cook our atmosphere lots and lots quicker than pussy carbon dioxide ...

Let's just bury the Helium waste ... what could possibly go wrong? ... c'mon man, you don't have to be a fruitcake environmentalist to see this is a bad idea ... but it does help ...

“Also known as scientific energy breakeven, the experiment produced more energy from fusion than the laser energy used to drive it.”
What a great breakthrough!
Now... does that solve the ICE to EV conversion costs?
NOPE...
The fact is that right now all the power plants in the USA generated in 2021 over 4,165,030,000,000 kWh.
Now if in fact, all 37,900,000 trucks at 4.3 kWh/ mile for the 84,433 miles used for business purposes and all the cars driven 14,263 miles @0.346 kWh/mile per year by 228,200,000 Americans were EVs the total electricity required, (even if generated by fusion!!!) would be 10,151,170,439,575 kWh.
OR nearly 2.4 TIMES the amount of electricity generated today.
Say in 10 years though just half the number of trucks and cars are EVs... That will still require over 5 trillion kWh PLUS the 5 trillion kWh used for other purposes. Someone will have to pay for the additional power generating processes be it fossil fuels, nuclear or renewables.
The cost of which will be passed on to all of us consumers.
The attached shows it will still cost the 129,930m,000 American consumers
1) 5,448 NEW nuclear plants for the additional 5 trillion kWh $38.133 Trillion or per households directly or indirectly $1,222/mo/for 20 years.
2) or the 17.9 million solar panels at $4 Trillion or $1,510/month for 20 years!
3) or 538,521 Wind Turbines(WT) at $56 Trillion or $1,824/month for 20 years!
Now the attached shows greater detail AND sources for the information.
The point of this is while Fusion energy development is EXCITING and promising and definitely NEEDED... It still doesn't replace the use of electricity will triple with EVs replacing ICE. And this is totally related to this totally divisive statement:
I want you to look into my eyes, I guarantee We Are Going To Get Rid of Fossil Fuels”

View attachment 738294

Things don’t happen overnight smart guy. They come in steps and this is a great one. Finding clean sources for energy is the future. Progress should be celebrated not pissed on.

Things don’t happen overnight smart guy. They come in steps and this is a great one. Finding clean sources for energy is the future. Progress should be celebrated not pissed on.
Who was I pissing on? I am pointing out a gross gross misunderstanding by people evidently like you!
I am pointing out a reality which evidently YOU don't understand.
You want EVs? Then understand the cost! Your household will have to pay
In 2021, the average U.S. household spent $122 per month on electricity, with the average U.S. resident consuming 892 kilowatt-hours per month, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.Jul 18, 2022
But someone will have to pay for the additional 5 trillion kWh MORE than what is produced today of 5 Trillion kWh for
just 50% of cars/trucks being EVs. AGAIN.. to produce 5 trillion more kWh per year will require either:
1) 5,448 NEW nuclear plants for the additional 5 trillion kWh $38.133 Trillion or per households directly or indirectly $1,222/mo/for 20 years...
2) or 17.9 million solar panels at $4 Trillion or $1,510/month for 20 years.
3) or 538,521 Wind Turbines(WT) at $56 Trillion or $1,824/month for 20 years..
4) or a combination of the 3 either way the average monthly for all 3 per month for the next 20 years: $1,518/mo.
Who is going to pay for this? Businesses/govt/etc... no.....! They pass it on to you in higher prices!
I know reality is hard to face but this is reality!
At just 50% cars/trucks being EVs will require 5 trillion additional kWh / year.
Where is that coming from if the current generating plants produce just 5 trillion kWh per year?
The choices are:
1) more blackouts... See Calif... California Avoids Blackouts With Bigger Test Ahead as Heat Looms
2) Build more power plants see above costs.
3) Oh and you say "well I live in a home and will charge with solar panels."
Right... "In 2018, there were 82.64 million detached single-family homes in North America, and this number is set to reach 84.69 million by 2023." of the 129 million households or businesses will put solar panels on their parking lots.. But who will pay for the individual homes or the businesses? You will directly or indirectly!

I am not pissing on progress just simply pointing out the costs.
In summary the average American household paid $122/month for electricity in 2021.
Somehow the cost of adding with just 50% EVs 5 Trillion kWh in generating power that average $1,518/ month will be added to that utility costs you can count on it!

Who was I pissing on? I am pointing out a gross gross misunderstanding by people evidently like you!
I am pointing out a reality which evidently YOU don't understand.
You want EVs? Then understand the cost! Your household will have to pay
In 2021, the average U.S. household spent $122 per month on electricity, with the average U.S. resident consuming 892 kilowatt-hours per month, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.Jul 18, 2022
But someone will have to pay for the additional 5 trillion kWh MORE than what is produced today of 5 Trillion kWh for
just 50% of cars/trucks being EVs. AGAIN.. to produce 5 trillion more kWh per year will require either:
1) 5,448 NEW nuclear plants for the additional 5 trillion kWh $38.133 Trillion or per households directly or indirectly $1,222/mo/for 20 years...
2) or 17.9 million solar panels at $4 Trillion or $1,510/month for 20 years.
3) or 538,521 Wind Turbines(WT) at $56 Trillion or $1,824/month for 20 years..
4) or a combination of the 3 either way the average monthly for all 3 per month for the next 20 years: $1,518/mo.
Who is going to pay for this? Businesses/govt/etc... no.....! They pass it on to you in higher prices!
I know reality is hard to face but this is reality!
At just 50% cars/trucks being EVs will require 5 trillion additional kWh / year.
Where is that coming from if the current generating plants produce just 5 trillion kWh per year?
The choices are:
1) more blackouts... See Calif... California Avoids Blackouts With Bigger Test Ahead as Heat Looms
2) Build more power plants see above costs.
Right... "In 2018, there were 82.64 million detached single-family homes in North America, and this number is set to reach 84.69 million by 2023." of the 129 million households or businesses will put solar panels on their parking lots.. But who will pay for the individual homes or the businesses? You will directly or indirectly!

I am not pissing on progress just simply pointing out the costs.
In summary the average American household paid $122/month for electricity in 2021.
Somehow the cost of adding with just 50% EVs 5 Trillion kWh in generating power that average $1,518/ month will be added to that utility costs you can count on it!
EVs are fine. They aren’t the end solution as batteries are still toxic. EVs are a good bridge until cleaner energy and propulsion tech enters the market.

I very easily paneled my house which now produces enough energy for my home with extra to spare. This can work for many people and communities. It doesn’t need to be all or nothing

EVs are fine. They aren’t the end solution as batteries are still toxic. EVs are a good bridge until cleaner energy and propulsion tech enters the market.

I very easily paneled my house which now produces enough energy for my home with extra to spare. This can work for many people and communities. It doesn’t need to be all or nothing
This means 44.8 million don't live in areas where solar panels could be used like you and I congratulate you for it!
BUT regardless you will be paying for the additional nuclear/solar/WTs indirectly from the businesses you get goods/services from as EVERYONE will pay one way or another for the additional cost to supply the nuclear/solar/WTs plants to create the 5 trillion kWh needed if just 50% of cars/trucks are EVs. There is NO way around it.
You can count on your solar panels but nothing will keep you from your cable service, your supermarket, your department stores from INCREASING their costs to you to pay THEIR electric bills which WILL increase!

The average electric vehicle requires 30 kilowatt-hours to travel 100 miles — the same amount of electricity an average American home uses each day to run appliances, computers, lights and heating and air conditioning.
(NOTE: this works out to 0.30 kWh/mile.) Keep this in mind...
BUT.. this is a car.. EV Trucks have an average uses 2 kilowatt-hours per mile Electric truck - Wikipedia)

Electricity demand fluctuates throughout the day; demand is higher during daytime hours, peaking in the early evening. If many people buy electric vehicles and mostly try to charge right when they get home from work — as many currently do — the system could get overloaded or force utilities to deliver more electricity than they’re currently capable of producing.

This means 44.8 million don't live in areas where solar panels could be used like you and I congratulate you for it!
BUT regardless you will be paying for the additional nuclear/solar/WTs indirectly from the businesses you get goods/services from as EVERYONE will pay one way or another for the additional cost to supply the nuclear/solar/WTs plants to create the 5 trillion kWh needed if just 50% of cars/trucks are EVs. There is NO way around it.
You can count on your solar panels but nothing will keep you from your cable service, your supermarket, your department stores from INCREASING their costs to you to pay THEIR electric bills which WILL increase!

The average electric vehicle requires 30 kilowatt-hours to travel 100 miles — the same amount of electricity an average American home uses each day to run appliances, computers, lights and heating and air conditioning.
(NOTE: this works out to 0.30 kWh/mile.) Keep this in mind...
BUT.. this is a car.. EV Trucks have an average uses 2 kilowatt-hours per mile Electric truck - Wikipedia)

Electricity demand fluctuates throughout the day; demand is higher during daytime hours, peaking in the early evening. If many people buy electric vehicles and mostly try to charge right when they get home from work — as many currently do — the system could get overloaded or force utilities to deliver more electricity than they’re currently capable of producing.
I'll repeat, this is not an all or nothing thing. You keep treating it like its an absolute. "Everybody must get them and if so its too expensive and not sustainable", is the argument im hearing from you. Well everybody isn't going to get them. Some are and that some will help add to our energy sector. Yes there will be costs and there will also be benefits. There is not going to be a switch that eliminates all fossil fuel products from being used... but we can start integrating other forms of energy harvesting and work towards cleaner solutions.

I'll repeat, this is not an all or nothing thing. You keep treating it like its an absolute. "Everybody must get them and if so its too expensive and not sustainable", is the argument im hearing from you. Well everybody isn't going to get them. Some are and that some will help add to our energy sector. Yes there will be costs and there will also be benefits. There is not going to be a switch that eliminates all fossil fuel products from being used... but we can start integrating other forms of energy harvesting and work towards cleaner solutions.
I never said it was all or nothing that's your interpretation. I even qualified by saying 50%!
But the problem is the "switch" will INCREASE fossil fuel product COSTs which you haven't taken into consideration as I have.
For example while gas /diesel fuel would be reduced due to EVs where would the costs then for other uses of oil go? UP. And that's what most people are unaware of.
For example:
To make 2 Billion Tires a year REQUIRES 300 million barrels of OIL!
FACTS!!! The “sap” or latex is harvested and refined to produce natural rubber tires. Synthetic rubber is manmade from petrochemical feedstocks. Crude oil is the primary raw material. According to the Rubber Manufacturers Association, it takes “approximately seven gallons” of oil to produce a single tire.Mar 2, 2012
How Oil Prices Impact Tire Pricing
And that is just tires!
Now guess what you drive your car on? asphalt: asphalt that makes up 94% of our roads depends on 3% of all oil production! 1.4 billion barrels!
Historically — over the last 10 years, that is — asphalt prices have risen an average of 0.7% for every 1% increase in the price of crude oil. But that increase is related to the cost of the raw materials necessary to produce asphalt
So what will these prices go if the gas/diesels are reduced?
Finally there are over 6,000 products that use fossil fuels oil. Without gasoline helping with revenue streams what will happen to the prices for these items?
So while people naively convert to EVs thinking they are helping climate change all they are doing is in many ways
actually causing MORE environmental issues.
For example Lithium used to back batteries.
Lithiumbatteriesdamage121322.png

products6000madefrom_oil.png

I was hoping for a bit more than just the red thumb down Richard?

But you got the drift on what I said didn't you!

In fact, the media made this latest one into a nothing-burger as soon as it was introduced last night.

Instead of the moon in 15 years, this one is in 10 years, maybe and maybe not.

You can do this Richard, but dog knows nobody else is going to try.

Americans have invented:

The automobile
The airplane
The computer
The Internet
Landed the first person on the moon
The light bulb
The Telephone
The Tractor
The atomic bomb

The list goes on and on....

Why in the world would you doubt that American scientists have successfully harnessed fusion?

I never said it was all or nothing that's your interpretation. I even qualified by saying 50%!
But the problem is the "switch" will INCREASE fossil fuel product COSTs which you haven't taken into consideration as I have.
For example while gas /diesel fuel would be reduced due to EVs where would the costs then for other uses of oil go? UP. And that's what most people are unaware of.
For example:
To make 2 Billion Tires a year REQUIRES 300 million barrels of OIL!
FACTS!!! The “sap” or latex is harvested and refined to produce natural rubber tires. Synthetic rubber is manmade from petrochemical feedstocks. Crude oil is the primary raw material. According to the Rubber Manufacturers Association, it takes “approximately seven gallons” of oil to produce a single tire.Mar 2, 2012
How Oil Prices Impact Tire Pricing
And that is just tires!
Now guess what you drive your car on? asphalt: asphalt that makes up 94% of our roads depends on 3% of all oil production! 1.4 billion barrels!
Historically — over the last 10 years, that is — asphalt prices have risen an average of 0.7% for every 1% increase in the price of crude oil. But that increase is related to the cost of the raw materials necessary to produce asphalt
So what will these prices go if the gas/diesels are reduced?
Finally there are over 6,000 products that use fossil fuels oil. Without gasoline helping with revenue streams what will happen to the prices for these items?
So while people naively convert to EVs thinking they are helping climate change all they are doing is in many ways
actually causing MORE environmental issues.
For example Lithium used to back batteries.
View attachment 738363

View attachment 738361
Well, supply demand would say the opposite, wouldn't it? If less oil is needed for energy because of alternate sources then that increases the oil supply for other products to be produced thus driving the price down and reducing our dependency on foreign sources.

Americans have invented:

The automobile
The airplane
The computer
The Internet
Landed the first person on the moon
The light bulb
The Telephone
The Tractor
The atomic bomb

The list goes on and on....

Why in the world would you doubt that American scientists have successfully harnessed fusion?
All your claims for Americans being the inventors aren't true. Your list would be more attributable to Germans.

And in fact there hasn't been any claim of 'fusion' being harnessed. That's my point! Why has this nothing-burger claim even been attempted?

And then there's the moon thing that's been announced 15 years early!

Maybe if they hadn't destroyed all the technology from the Apollo missions they wouldn't need so long?
Right, they destroyed it? Right?

And of course the UFO's turned out to be a joke.

What is America's motive for this stuff? Predicting 'greatness' in the distant future?

Well, supply demand would say the opposite, wouldn't it? If less oil is needed for energy because of alternate sources then that increases the oil supply for other products to be produced thus driving the price down and reducing our dependency on foreign sources.
Well that's a good point...if that happens. Let's hope that will because as it stands now with Biden saying..
I want you to look into my eyes, I guarantee We Are Going To Get Rid of Fossil Fuels”

What Biden should have said:
"We need to work with the fossil fuels industry to reduce Co2 emissions and the US government will be helping as we consider the fossil fuel industry a totally important building block of our economy"!
This would have definitely reduced the tremendous gas prices that increased with Biden. But higher gas prices
are definitely in the future as more and more fuel companies see a diminishing market for them.

Stop right there! Supply and demand has been proven to not be a factor in the way you're thinking. It's only a factor when it's used as a part of America's economic warfare.

Well that's a good point...if that happens. Let's hope that will because as it stands now with Biden saying..

What Biden should have said:
"We need to work with the fossil fuels industry to reduce Co2 emissions and the US government will be helping as we consider the fossil fuel industry a totally important building block of our economy"!
This would have definitely reduced the tremendous gas prices that increased with Biden. But higher gas prices
are definitely in the future as more and more fuel companies see a diminishing market for them.

yeah yeah yeah, Biden said he's gonna get rid of fossil fuels and Trump said he was going to build a Great Wall that Mexico was going to pay for. Political hot air. Embellished campaign promises don't really have much to do with this conversation though. You started the thread talking about a scientific breakthrough not politics. Wanna get back there?

Forum List

Back