Frozen wind turbines hamper Texas power output

Yes, GOP run Texas won't use their own resource.
Worse, the state allows NG producers to Flare Gas as there is no market for it.
They could easily build/run power plant on every day's flared NG for just about -0-.
Morons.
Conservative of course.
They flare gas up here also. Drives me insane when I drive by them. What a waste.
`

So , when the power plant can make all the power you need but your lines are down how is that better?
Which is independent of the technology used to generate electricity. THIS risk though - frozen wind turbines - is unique to wind turbines and not coal fired or natural gas fired electrical generation plants.

Germany is experiencing the same problem.

Mother Nature defeats us all the time, one way or the other. This is just another one of her little love pats.
I think this goes to the question of reliability. Wind and solar are more susceptible to disruptions than the other technologies.

Mother Nature defeats us all the time, one way or the other. This is just another one of her little love pats.
I think this goes to the question of reliability. Wind and solar are more susceptible to disruptions than the other technologies.
I don't. Lines going down during wind, snow and ice storms are a regular part of winter where it gets cold, no matter how it's generated.

I don't. Lines going down during wind, snow and ice storms are a regular part of winter where it gets cold, no matter how it's generated.
Correct. Which is why moonglow's argument that icing is not unique to generating electricity is spurious.

As for the question of reliability - setting icing aside which has been a major world wide disruption of solar and wind this winter - wind and solar are inherently less reliable than traditional power generation technologies because neither is a 24/7/365 technology. They operate in the 50% or less utilization range the last I looked.

Correct. Which is why moonglow's argument that icing is not unique to generating electricity is spurious.

As for the question of reliability - setting icing aside which has been a major world wide disruption of solar and wind this winter - wind and solar are inherently less reliable than traditional power generation technologies because neither is a 24/7/365 technology. They operate in the 50% or less utilization range the last I looked.
Don't they store it for slack times? Don't you think the technology will improve, just as all other technologies have done?

Observe the folly of the 'Green New Deal.'

"Historic winter storm freezes Texas wind turbines; millions without power"

"Millions are without power in Texas after a historic winter storm blasted the state over the weekend, creating freezing conditions that have made the roads dangerous and knocking out nearly half of Texas' installed wind power generation."

Apparently Al Gore and John Kerry didn't think of this.

"This is a unique winter storm that's more widespread with lots of moisture in West Texas, where there's a lot of times not a lot of moisture," said Dan Woodfin, senior director of system operations for the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, the nonprofit corporation that manages the power grid. "It's certainly more than what we would typically assume."

Translation: "We got caught with our pants down" Stupid fucks.

Last edited:

Don't they store it for slack times? Don't you think the technology will improve, just as all other technologies have done?
I don't believe they are storing it at the generation sites but I could be wrong. As for the icing I believe they already have a heat trace technology they can apply but it is expensive because they need to take the blades down to add the coating. I have no idea why they ever installed them without freeze protection in the first place. But they did and so did the Germans and they are considered the world's leader in wind. As for the inherent inefficiency of solar and wind (aka the wind not blowing and sun not shining) there's nothing they can do about that. To me these are technologies that should never be our primary source. Relying on these technologies for peak load seems to be a predictable surprise waiting to happen.

How can this be in breaking news? It is at least the 3rd thread on the exact same thing today. You are at least 6 hours late and no mods on duty.

Solar - especially widespread solar - is a BFI. It should be obvious that capturing radiation from the sun that used to strike the earth's surface will result in less radiation reaching the earth's surface. Do this enough times and there will be consequences. Or as I like to say predictable surprises.

Observe the folly of the 'Green New Deal.'

"Historic winter storm freezes Texas wind turbines; millions without power"

"Millions are without power in Texas after a historic winter storm blasted the state over the weekend, creating freezing conditions that have made the roads dangerous and knocking out nearly half of Texas' installed wind power generation."

Apparently Al Gore and John Kerry didn't think of this.

"This is a unique winter storm that's more widespread with lots of moisture in West Texas, where there's a lot of times not a lot of moisture," said Dan Woodfin, senior director of system operations for the Electric Reliability Council of Texas, the nonprofit corporation that manages the power grid. "It's certainly more than what we would typically assume."

Translation: "We got caught with our pants down" Stupid fucks.

Has anybody blamed Trump yet?

How can this be in breaking news? It is at least the 3rd thread on the exact same thing today. You are at least 6 hours late and no mods on duty.
So you want to cancel my thread. Figures.

I don't believe they are storing it at the generation sites but I could be wrong. As for the icing I believe they already have a heat trace technology they can apply but it is expensive because they need to take the blades down to add the coating. I have no idea why they ever installed them without freeze protection in the first place. But they did and so did the Germans and they are considered the world's leader in wind. As for the inherent inefficiency of solar and wind (aka the wind not blowing and sun not shining) there's nothing they can do about that. To me these are technologies that should never be our primary source. Relying on these technologies for peak load seems to be a predictable surprise waiting to happen.
Is it being used for peak load? I didn't know that was the plan. It would be awesome if all renewable sources could be used that don't pollute our world further, though. They're looking into tidal energy, as well.
Posters who are pointing to wind power as a failure due to a once in a hundred year weather event is not sensible, though. Catastrophes happen. Mother Nature always wins.

Is it being used for peak load? I didn't know that was the plan. It would be awesome if all renewable sources could be used that don't pollute our world further, though. They're looking into tidal energy, as well.
Posters who are pointing to wind power as a failure due to a once in a hundred year weather event is not sensible, though. Catastrophes happen. Mother Nature always wins.
That's my understanding of the plan. What part of no more fossil fuels am I not understanding?

Yes, catastrophes happen. That has nothing to do with poorly thought out aims which will result in predictable surprises and are knee jerk reactions to a problem we don't have.

So you want to cancel my thread. Figures.
Just bored with it. At least other showed how they deice them. You just grabbed an article to have something to post. You need a hobby.

That's my understanding of the plan. What part of no more fossil fuels am I not understanding?

Yes, catastrophes happen. That has nothing to do with poorly thought out aims which will result in predictable surprises and are knee jerk reactions to a problem we don't have.
I understand you are a Texan, so naturally you support your state's greatest natural resource, but it's fucking up the planet, ding.

Forum List

Back