Former VP candidate dies...

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
...but I doubt many remember him. One of the small, lost chapters of our history.

330px-Patrick_Lucey.png

In 1980, John Anderson (R) launched an independent bid for the presidency against incumbent Jimmy Carter (D) and his main challenger, Ronald Reagan (R). In that election, John Anderson garnered 6.61% of the NPV and had his strongest showing in Massachusetts, where he got 15.15%, allowing Reagan to win by 0.15% in the Bay State.

Anderson's running mate was Patrick Lucey, who died two days ago, on May 10th, at the age of 96. He was a Democrat, and was Governor of Wisconsin when Jimmy Carter was elected in 1976. Carter appointed him to be US Ambassador to Mexico in 1977.

Since Anderson was a Republican and he selected a Democrat to be his running mate, it truly was an independent ticket in many ways.

This was one of Lucey's 1970 gubernatorial ads:

(Kind of interesting to see how ads have changed)

RIP, Mr. Lucey.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember Anderson but not his running mate. No one took them seriously though.

...but I doubt many remember him. One of the small, lost chapters of our history.

330px-Patrick_Lucey.png

In 1980, John Anderson (R) launched an independent bid for the presidency against incumbent Jimmy Carter (D) and his main challenger, Ronald Reagan (R). In that election, John Anderson garnered 6.61% of the NPV and had his strongest showing in Massachusetts, where he got 15.15%, allowing Reagan to win by 0.15% in the Bay State.

Anderson's running mate was Patrick Lucey, who died two days ago, on May 10th, at the age of 96. He was a Democrat, and was Governor of Wisconsin when Jimmy Carter was elected in 1976. Carter appointed him to be US Ambassador to Mexico in 1977.

Since Anderson was a Republican and he selected a Democrat to be his running mate, it truly was an independent ticket in many ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP9kO3hBf0c

This was one of Lucey's 1970 gubernatorial ads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_GIej3NC-U

(Kind of interesting to see how ads have changed)

RIP, Mr. Lucey.

I remember him

I remember Anderson but not his running mate. No one took them seriously though.

He was very popular with the college kids at the time.

But what Anderson's candidacy really represented was the departure of moderation from the GOP.

You wouldn't know "moderation" if it bit you in the ass...

Eisenhower Republican? You have no clue what his mind set was...

Forum List

Back