Forget the Mediterranean diet.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
The so-called Mediterranean diet is held up as a gold-standard of healthy eating but there is another meal plan that is packed with just as many nutrients, experts explain.

The Nordic diet emphasises a greater intake of fruit, berries, vegetables, whole grain products, fish and game, and less milk products, meat and poultry.

The key is eating foods that are in season in cold climates, like berries in the spring, courgette in summer and chard in winter. Small amounts of saturated fats and processed meats are also allowed in moderation.

The so-called Mediterranean diet is held up as a gold-standard of healthy eating but there is another meal plan that is packed with just as many nutrients, experts explain.

The Nordic diet emphasises a greater intake of fruit, berries, vegetables, whole grain products, fish and game, and less milk products, meat and poultry.

The key is eating foods that are in season in cold climates, like berries in the spring, courgette in summer and chard in winter. Small amounts of saturated fats and processed meats are also allowed in moderation.

Isn't fish and game meat?

I think either sound pretty healthy compared to how most Americans eat.

Speaking of Americans, for those who may not know: "courgette" is zucchini. I was blown away a few years ago when I learned it's called "courgette" over the sea...I mean, those two words aren't even close!

The thing is, the human body is extremely adaptable to the food that "we" eat. There are countries and cultures where the diets are horrible, according to all the experts. No meat, no green vegetables, no fruit. Rice, rice, rice, and an occasional piece of fish. And they live to be a hundred. Based on what I see, schools kids in the U.S. have terrible eating habits, and yet they thrive, especially look at African American HS athletes.

The only thing "we" have to worry about is the percentage of Americans who are fat. It is a national scandal. Fortunately, the medical community has devised drugs that can keep fat people alive to infinity, but they are a tremendous drain on the economy, requiring constant medical attention, and various kinds of "aids" to help them get around.

I'm sure the Nordic diet is fine but its' not necessary to go to so much effort to be healthy. Eat what you like, in moderation, get some exercise, and be sure you have good genes. That's the ticket.

To reduce your chances of getting some cancers, by around 20%, it is suggested you eat wild caught fish at least twice a week. I love fish but don't eat much of it, so I take fish oil supplements.

Processed meats are best avoided, or just eaten rarely. What is the worst, especially in the U.S., is sugar. Look at all the sugary garbage in the supermarket. So much of it in every aisle.

Any sensible, balanced diet is healthy. Find a sensible diet that works for your lifestyle and tastes and skip the fad diets. Those are nothing but vapid click-bait.

Forum List

Back