For Your Consideration

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Hey, I'm not taking sides, seems that's already been done. Maybe some of you might wish to check out links and voice out on your take:

http://corner.nationalreview.com/post/?q=Y2Y0MjRhZTg0Y2MzN2RhZTM5ZTE2YmQwOWQ1MDg1N2Q=

Get Out Now? [Cliff May]

I’ve been deluged by e-mails all day calling me a liar and other nasty names. That’s because Glenn Greenwald over at Salon decided to sic his readers on me. Why? Because of the item I posted here yesterday asking Corner readers if there is evidence to support the left’s talking point that a majority of Americans now want out of Iraq – whatever the consequences.

Greenwald cited a number of polls – by Pew, CNN, and the Washington Post in support of that talking point. To be fair, they do provide a basis – but it’s hardly dispositive as Glenn and his fans so adamantly insist.

For one, as I stated here earlier today, many of the polls frame their questions in a clearly slanted matter.

In addition, there are the polls that Greenwald leaves out – which other readers have now provided. These polls lead to a different interpretation of the public’s mood. A sampling of the results sent to me:

A Bloomberg poll last month found that 61% of Americans believe withholding funding for the war is a bad idea, while only 28% believe it is a good idea.

According to a March USA Today/Gallup poll, 61% of Americans oppose “denying the funding needed to send any additional troops to Iraq.”

That poll also showed that only 20% of Americans want to withdraw the troops immediately.

Public Opinion Strategies (POS) recently reported that a majority of voters (54%) oppose the Democrats imposing a reduction in troops below the level military commanders requested.

A POS poll in February found that 59% of voters believe pulling out of Iraq immediately would do more to harm America’s reputation in the world than staying until order is restored.

That POS poll also finds 57% of voters support staying in Iraq until the job is finished and “the Iraqi government can maintain control and provide security for its people.”

According to a Time magazine poll also taken in March, only 32% want to withdraw the troops within the next year no matter what happens.

Let me add this: The question of whether most Americans want out of Iraq is not marginal. If members of Congress – in both parties – believe that is what their constituents are demanding, support for Gen. Petraeus and his mission will quickly disappear.

Finally, if I were playing tit-for-tat I'd ask Corner readers to deluge Glenn with e-mails (at [email protected]) demanding he apologize for not citing any polls that contradict his beliefs. But I'm too nice a person for that.

04/02 06:13 PM

Forum List

Back