For Guitar Players

That's very true. About a half a dozen professional guitarists have tried to sell me their guitars and gear because the bars where they performed were shut down by the lockdown.

In retrospect, I should have bought all of their stuff while they were desperate. Or maybe it's best to wait until they are even more desperate.
Oddly enough, for the past year the pawn shops have been wiped clean - sold out of guitars and most other musical instruments and equipment ( and guns of course).People bored at home looking for new hobbies.

Mike, I started out years ago playing the piano. I taught myself using a World Book Encyclopedia. :).

First music book I bought when I was 12 was Elton John's Greatest Hits. Turns out Elton is a damn fine piano player. :lol: After much work I could just about play some of the easier songs. (Your Song, Border Song).

Rocket Man is in g minor, very tricky to do the right hand shifts and get the feel down. Elton's touch and feel is impeccable imho. Great left hand as well.

Long story short, I was never more than a half assed piano player. Guitar I can play most anything. I am by no means world class, but I have played professionally and can hang with most good players.

The one piece you did based on my chord progression was outstanding. You are truly a fine piano player. If you feel so inclined please post more. Guitar is much more limited than piano harmonically. As a consequence, I like the sound of a solo piano better than guitar.

Regards.

Oh...ps....the Mattaponi piece I posted above was partly built around an Am7-5 chords. Beautiful sound imho if deployed correctly.

The notes are A C Eb G. If you like I will post the full chord progression.

Mike, I started out years ago playing the piano. I taught myself using a World Book Encyclopedia. :).

First music book I bought when I was 12 was Elton John's Greatest Hits. Turns out Elton is a damn fine piano player. :lol: After much work I could just about play some of the easier songs. (Your Song, Border Song).

Rocket Man is in g minor, very tricky to do the right hand shifts and get the feel down. Elton's touch and feel is impeccable imho. Great left hand as well.

Long story short, I was never more than a half assed piano player. Guitar I can play most anything. I am by no means world class, but I have played professionally and can hang with most good players.

The one piece you did based on my chord progression was outstanding. You are truly a fine piano player. If you feel so inclined please post more. Guitar is much more limited than piano harmonically. As a consequence, I like the sound of a solo piano better than guitar.

Regards.

Oh...ps....the Mattaponi piece I posted above was partly built around an Am7-5 chords. Beautiful sound imho if deployed correctly.

Hi WQ thanks for this very interesting and kind reply. Yes Elton John is one of my favorite pop pianists, he is quite a brilliant composer and player. Many don't know he attended the Royal Academy of Music for 5 years. At first listen his music sounds simplistic but it isn't. I think my favorite piece of his to play is Tiny Dancer. It has 3 very distinct sections and how he plays it is so cool. I'll definitely have a go at your latest music. Cheers! Mike

That's very true. About a half a dozen professional guitarists have tried to sell me their guitars and gear because the bars where they performed were shut down by the lockdown.

In retrospect, I should have bought all of their stuff while they were desperate. Or maybe it's best to wait until they are even more desperate.
Oddly enough, for the past year the pawn shops have been wiped clean - sold out of guitars and most other musical instruments and equipment ( and guns of course).People bored at home looking for new hobbies.
The pawn shops are selling guitars and guns faster than they can buy them.

Same thing with fireworks shops.

Hell I've been so bored that I bought 4 e-bikes and I've been using the motors to make a flying saucer. I've been researching the local and state legal aspects, and I can't find anything in Ohio or Toledo law that says you can't fly a flying saucer in this jurisdiction.

Last edited:

Hell I've been so bored that I bought 4 e-bikes and I've been using the motors to make a flying saucer. I've been researching the local and state legal aspects, and I can't find anything in Ohio or Toledo law that says you can't fly a flying saucer in this jurisdiction.
I have a friend in St Augustine - a virtuoso piano player back in high school and plays guitar & performs at the open mic's there sometimes --anyway, his hobby is flying drones lately, at the beach or wherever. Like a big kid. Oh he works out a lot too- he's built like the freakin hulk.

Regards.

Hi WQ thanks for this very interesting and kind reply. Yes Elton John is one of my favorite pop pianists, he is quite a brilliant composer and player. Many don't know he attended the Royal Academy of Music for 5 years. At first listen his music sounds simplistic but it isn't. I think my favorite piece of his to play is Tiny Dancer. It has 3 very distinct sections and how he plays it is so cool. I'll definitely have a go at your latest music. Cheers! Mike

The chord progression For the Mattaponi piece.

C Am7-5 Dm6 G

B7 Em7 G7 C Am G

Bm C D

F C G F C G F C G

Bm C Am7-5 D

B7 Em7 G7 C Am G

F C G F C G F C G

Dm7 Fmaj7 Em7 G

Dm C7 Bb F/A Gm7 C9 G

The Mattaponi River in Virginia is one of the most beautiful and unspoiled in the lower 48. When when listen to the piece this is what I am seeing, :)

R75c1f6b76fecd0c949fcc094c1ee311e
fc2658e07abd6234b5e0b1d0e9b757ac.jpg
48188767927_e8dab3ab92_b.jpg
5b7ae0d30ff90.image.jpg
R9cd1beb806274d6bc719281d5c0629b3

Last edited:

Regards.

Hey, one other thing, This is the song I really wanted to learn to when I was 12 on piano. Never came close. :) I play it much better on guitar, This version was taped about two weeks after he wrote the song, It was not released yet. You can tell because his voice is still really good. :thup:

Hey, one other thing, This is the song I really wanted to learn to when I was 12 on piano. Never came close. :) I play it much better on guitar, This version was taped about two weeks after he wrote the song, It was not released yet. You can tell because his voice is still really good. :thup:

Have you seen his live at Central Park in 1980 ?
I believe he was peaking musically around that time....what pisses me off is that I was living in NYC at the time and missed it --free concert at Central Park.....I did see Johnny Winter that summer and Linda Ronstadt.

Some cool footage of the WTC from a helicopter....at the beginning....
Saturday Night
Little Jeannie
Bennie and the Jets
Imagine (John Lennon tribute just before his death)
Someone Saved My life Tonight
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word
Your Song
Bite Your Lip (get up and dance)

Last edited:

Have you seen his live at Central Park in 1980 ?
I believe he was peaking musically around that time....what pisses me off is that I was living in NYC at the time and missed it --free concert at Central Park.....I did see Johnny Winter that summer and Linda Ronstadt.

I have seen it and actually saw him on that tour in 1980 in Hampton Va, Yes, he still had his tenor voice then and he had a great band backing him. I have had a lot of music theory in the past and I like his stuff because a lot of it is very classical in nature although he tries to hide the classical influence to some degree. John Lennon, Sting, Jerry Cantrell with Alice in Chains and many others say he's the best musician they have ever played with. I would say for rock or pop music he is one of the best ever, Mike can speak more to the piano playing, but much of it is deceptively difficult. Even if you can play the notes his touch and feel are the best I've ever heard in pop or rock. Clapton is the closest I've seen or guitar to his touch and feel. Damn near perfect.

I have a friend in St Augustine - a virtuoso piano player back in high school and plays guitar & performs at the open mic's there sometimes --anyway, his hobby is flying drones lately, at the beach or wherever. Like a big kid. Oh he works out a lot too- he's built like the freakin hulk.
It's my drone nerd friends that got me so interested in flying saucers in the first place. Almost as light as air. With a combination of the right controllers for the air foils, and the right batteries, it doesn't take much power. It's all about buoyancy.

The limiting factor of the technology is helium. The world needs to stop wasting helium on stupid shit like birthday party balloons, IMO. It's a very limited resource on this planet.

Last edited:

Regards.

The chord progression For the Mattaponi piece.

C Am7-5 Dm6 G

B7 Em7 G7 C Am G

Bm C D

F C G F C G F C G

Bm C Am7-5 D

B7 Em7 G7 C Am G

F C G F C G F C G

Dm7 Fmaj7 Em7 G

Dm C7 Bb F/A Gm7 C9 G

The Mattaponi River in Virginia is one of the most beautiful and unspoiled in the lower 48. When when listen to the piece this is what I am seeing, :)

R75c1f6b76fecd0c949fcc094c1ee311e
fc2658e07abd6234b5e0b1d0e9b757ac.jpg
48188767927_e8dab3ab92_b.jpg
5b7ae0d30ff90.image.jpg
R9cd1beb806274d6bc719281d5c0629b3

Beautiful pics! I was wondering what Mattaponi was. I think I got close on the chords, prolly missed a couple :)

That kicks ass! Great playing. And yeah, beautiful tone and control.
He must have locking tuners right ?
With all that bending it seems like that SG would be out of tune halfway into the song..,..but you can see at the end where he's ripping on that open G - amazing tone....and not much distortion or OD- it's just him.

Tremendous guitar player. Yeah, has to be a locking mechanism. I remember Mahogany Rush back in the 70's and he sounds better now. Great playing.

Tremendous guitar player. Yeah, has to be a locking mechanism. I remember Mahagony Rush back in the 70's and he sounds better now. Great playing.
That song Something's Coming Our Way --he's playing it pretty much note-for-note ...he's one of the few perfectionists who can pull that off live. Alex Lifeson is one. Joe Satriani , John Petrucci....Larry Carlton and Eric Clapton.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back