Food for Thought

Jews as A chosen people - not 'the'

Jews "....maintain the belief that the Jews have been chosen by God for a purpose."

And so were other Peoples, chosen by GOD for a purpose. We Jews were not given the knowledge of what others' purposes are, nor what is in their Covenants.

There is nothing in Torah which denies that other Peoples are also chosen by YHVH for a purpose - and there certainly are passages where YHVH tells the Jewish People that He has given certain areas to other Peoples. There is a whole Book (Jonah) which is about a prophet going to the people of Ninevah to instruct them to repent so that YHVH can lift a plage from them. Incidentally, we read that one at High Holidays - so it's pretty important. And the punchline is that YHVH cares and is a loving parent to ALL Peoples.

All of that goes into understanding what Jews mean by saying A chosen people.

FTR, my 'denomination' of Judaism has scrubbed the 'chosen' phrase from our liturgy entirely and do not teach any such thing.

Jews "....maintain the belief that the Jews have been chosen by God for a purpose."

And so were other Peoples, chosen by GOD for a purpose. We Jews were not given the knowledge of what others' purposes are, nor what is in their Covenants.

There is nothing in Torah which denies that other Peoples are also chosen by YHVH for a purpose - and there certainly are passages where YHVH tells the Jewish People that He has given certain areas to other Peoples. There is a whole Book (Jonah) which is about a prophet going to the people of Ninevah to instruct them to repent so that YHVH can lift a plage from them. Incidentally, we read that one at High Holidays - so it's pretty important. And the punchline is that YHVH cares and is a loving parent to ALL Peoples.

FTR, my 'denomination' of Judaism has scrubbed the 'chosen' phrase from our liturgy entirely and do not teach any such thing.

So you're not even a real Jew. :anj_stfu:

And I would care what some nameless random trollette on a chat board spews, why?

And anyone else would care what AriyuKKKs Lite has to vomit forth, why?

It depends on *which* Muslims one talks to - some believe only their religion is 'true'. There are some Christians like that as well - entire denominations of 'em.

But there are no Jews who can 'properly' make any such statement - that ours is the ONLY salvific belief system - because it is AGAINST TORAH. While we do not have a 'catechism' per se, and very little of absolute doctrine - if something is AGAINST Torah, it is absolutely NOT tolerable to Judaism.

That is probably the single biggest reason Judaism refused to continue to allow the 'Jesus people' to remain in the synagogues - because they moved from revering Jesus as a teacher of righteousness (as R. Akiva, Hillel and others), to WORSHIPPING Jesus as being GOD.

While I am not a Catholic - I majored in Medieval English Lit, and that had to include a study of the RC faith in the Middle Ages and on to the Renaissance, because what is so very much of the 'Lit' about! So I've got a pretty good background in the teachings of various Church Fathers, etc. And while I don't 'believe' the religion, I certainly have an understanding of its basic doctrines.

To return to what you keep repeating: WE do not say we are 'THE' chosen. We are simply 'chosen for Sinai': others were chosen for other arrangements. It's ALL good.

We are not 'ice cream' to anyone's broccoli: we are ONE FLAVOR of ice cream among many. We DO NOT KNOW what tasks other Peoples have been set, so we have NO BASIS to make any comparison or 'value jusgement' as to our importance to YHVH with regard to anyone else's.

The Torah is the record of the Jewish People's relationship with YHVH. It does NOT presume to be the ONLY record of ANY People's relationship.....

I honestly do not know how to make it any plainer. All I can say is, I've very seldom had such a problem getting the idea across.

I have never heard or read that point made so eloquently and succinctly. Thank you.
As for your attempts to penetrate the self-imposed ignorance and density of those who insist on snidely referring to Jews as the "chosen," you might as well being conversing with their intellectual peers ... a box of rocks. Thanks again. :D

No less so than you are a real human. :D

Notice the fake Jew didn't dispute what I said. Even a sack full of old douches like you can see that MHu is full of shit.

Notice the fake Jew didn't dispute what I said. Even a sack full of old douches like you can see that MHu is full of shit.

That others tend to ignore your silliness isn't a sign they agree with you, Princess, but rather that your silliness is just too silly to bother responding to. :D

so...jews wrote the book and push the word.

my gods do not believe in bigotry, racism, or special people. my god is egalitarian.

All religions believe they are chosen. They just have different words for it. Alot of Protestant Christians believe that their god arbitrarily (sp?) chose a tiny fraction of people, whom they call "the Elect of God" to be "saved" while the rest of mankind is doomed to eternal damnation. And Muslims call themselves the "true believers" while others are infidels.

no. not all religions believe they are chosen.

i have never met a muslim who called me an inidel. they have all respecteed my "belies."

Just because you have "never met" such Muslims, doesn't mean they don't exist, or that it isn't a tenet of Islam. And what about the "Elect of God"?

"Aquila non captat muscas" reads one of the old family mottoes.

I'm more by way of a peregrine or kestrel than an eagle - but I still don't bother myself with small buzzing insects like the Soviet shill.....

Last edited:

That others tend to ignore your silliness isn't a sign they agree with you, Princess, but rather that your silliness is just too silly to bother responding to. :D

C'mon, the dude doesn't think Jews are better than others and are god's chosen people, which WHY THEY CLAIM THE LAND CALLED ISRAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD GAVE IT TO THEM!!! What a fucking moron he is.
So now we have a fake Jew in this thread and Sunni, the fake muslim with no beard in the other one. Also a fake agnostic in yet another thread who thinks he's an agnostic and believes in a god. And a bunch of mormons who wears magic underwear in another thread. Are you fucking retards all related?

C'mon, the dude doesn't think Jews are better than others and are god's chosen people, which WHY THEY CLAIM THE LAND CALLED ISRAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD GAVE IT TO THEM!!! What a fucking moron he is. So now we have a fake Jew in this thread and Sunni, the fake muslim with no beard in the other one. Also a fake agnostic in yet another thread who thinks he's an agnostic and believes in a god. And a bunch of mormons who wears magic underwear in another thread. Are you fucking retards all related?
Is it what the religion of agnosticism teaches?

C'mon, the dude doesn't think Jews are better than others and are god's chosen people, which WHY THEY CLAIM THE LAND CALLED ISRAEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GOD GAVE IT TO THEM!!! What a fucking moron he is. So now we have a fake Jew in this thread and Sunni, the fake muslim with no beard in the other one. Also a fake agnostic in yet another thread who thinks he's an agnostic and believes in a god. And a bunch of mormons who wears magic underwear in another thread. Are you fucking retards all related?

It teaches me to think for myself and not get my facts from a 1500 year old book of fairy tales.

It teaches me to think for myself and not get my facts from a 1500 year old book of fairy tales.
Do we claim that the religion of agnosticism gets its fairy tales out of the thin air?

Do we claim that the religion of agnosticism gets its fairy tales out of the thin air?
No fairy tales, only solid proof allowed.
Does it mean religion of agnosticism and the "history of the palistanian people" share the same roots, since both derive solid proof out of the thin air?

Forum List

Back