Follow the Experts

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
When I hear people (always Leftists) saying that one must listen to the experts and/or follow the science, I am always reminded to a day 40 years ago when my wife was in labor with my son. As it turns out, it lasted about 12 hours.

Her obstetrician was a team of two doctors who could be seen interchangeably before and during the pregnancy, and it turned out that one of them came in to check on her in the early hours and his colleague came in later, and was present when my son was born.

Making conversation with Dr. #1 - we knew we were expecting a boy - I asked him about circumcision. He responded that it was the only logical choice. The foreskin required maintenance, was superfluous, could be a source of inflammation or even infection in later years...have the kid circumcised.

Making conversation with Dr. #2, same question. "Circumcision is a barbaric, cruel, and pointless practice. I would NEVER have a son of mine circumcised."

Partners. Both experts in the field. Two different and mutually-exclusive opinions.

The same phenomenon applies, in spades, with most of the important questions on Covid 19. Masks, therapeutics, the long term efficacy of the vaccines, etc. There may be a "right" answer, but there is major disagreement on what that is, even among the experts. To say or imply that YOUR guy has the right answer and everyone else is full of shit, is childish and incorrect.

When I hear people (always Leftists) saying that one must listen to the experts and/or follow the science, I am always reminded to a day 40 years ago when my wife was in labor with my son. As it turns out, it lasted about 12 hours.

Her obstetrician was a team of two doctors who could be seen interchangeably before and during the pregnancy, and it turned out that one of them came in to check on her in the early hours and his colleague came in later, and was present when my son was born.

Making conversation with Dr. #1 - we knew we were expecting a boy - I asked him about circumcision. He responded that it was the only logical choice. The foreskin required maintenance, was superfluous, could be a source of inflammation or even infection in later years...have the kid circumcised.

Making conversation with Dr. #2, same question. "Circumcision is a barbaric, cruel, and pointless practice. I would NEVER have a son of mine circumcised."

Partners. Both experts in the field. Two different and mutually-exclusive opinions.

The same phenomenon applies, in spades, with most of the important questions on Covid 19. Masks, therapeutics, the long term efficacy of the vaccines, etc. There may be a "right" answer, but there is major disagreement on what that is, even among the experts. To say or imply that YOUR guy has the right answer and everyone else is full of shit, is childish and incorrect.
Forgive me, but I'm not seeing the comparison between an age old difference of opinion between two obstetricians to differing with scientists and virologists on the basics and prevention of the spread of a virus..that has the potential to KILL YOU!! :)
You see, choosing not to get circumcised won't kill you. It might get you made fun of or partners may look askance at it (which, let's face it, is the real reason most circumcisions are done) later on, you might even get the occasional infection or nastiness..but
it won't kill you. It won't leave you gasping for breath in the hospital at the end of your life desperately wishing you'd been smart enough to not listen to the bullshit of the right wing media orgs and just get the damn vaccine. The vaccine has been shown to be
effective. Just as masks have been shown to be effective in helping to slow down the spread of the virus. Are they 100% effective for everyone at all times? No. But we were warned about that up front. No one has all of the right answers all of the time.
However, in the case of COVID, there is enough research and guidance out there to make choosing what to do here a no-brainer...if not for the divisive and caustic political undertones that a certain former dude took to fanning. :)

OK, take schoolchildren wearing masks. What could it hurt? It can only help, right?

Not true. Part of the experience of schooling is socialization. Socialization includes watching teachers and peers...watching their facial expressions to discern meaning, sincerity, attitude and mood. Taking that away involves non-financial costs.

The masks as generally not sanitary, and almost uniformly ineffective in filtering the very microorganisms that are targeted. The size of the interstices of the fabric is too large. Kids get LESS OXYGEN and more CO2 when wearing a mask. The impact on learning, physical conditioning, etc., are unknown. More costs.

Pretending that forcing kids to wear masks has no "cost" is oblivious to reality.

THe top scientists in the field are all over the lot on recommendations for school kids wearing masks.

Follow the science. Right.

OK, take schoolchildren wearing masks. What could it hurt? It can only help, right?

Not true. Part of the experience of schooling is socialization. Socialization includes watching teachers and peers...watching their facial expressions to discern meaning, sincerity, attitude and mood. Taking that away involves non-financial costs.

The masks as generally not sanitary, and almost uniformly ineffective in filtering the very microorganisms that are targeted. The size of the interstices of the fabric is too large. Kids get LESS OXYGEN and more CO2 when wearing a mask. The impact on learning, physical conditioning, etc., are unknown. More costs.

Pretending that forcing kids to wear masks has no "cost" is oblivious to reality.

THe top scientists in the field are all over the lot on recommendations for school kids wearing masks.

Follow the science. Right.
Would you rather children (especially those that cannot be vaccinated yet but seem to be carriers of covid) be kept at home, away from school in the interest of reducing spread amongst students, teachers, and administrators? Or would you rather send them to school with masks and distancing as a requirement and at least be able to have a conversation together..at least be able to SEE each other even if it is with a mask on? Socialization is socialization. It's contact. Masks have been shown to reduce the spread of the virus. Period.

Here's the problem...and wonder of wonders..IT'S YOU! As the adult, here, YOU are exhibiting a classic case of transference. And engaging in pseudo-science explanations parroted and repeated by right wing media.
But...again, I'm left wondering when those of you on the right abandoned your common sense and compassion....and I know. :)

Forum List

Back