Flu bugs of the 80's

Pete7469

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2013
The Real World
One thing that I noticed is that there has not been a "seasonal flu" in the last 2 seasons now. Is that because Wuhan is the seasonal flu? These seasonal flu bugs change an awful lot. In the 1980's when I was a kid the most notable symptom of the flu was almost entirely abdominal. I was 6-12 years old in those days and every year at least once we all barfed our fuckin brains out, pissed out our asses, had a fever/aches/chills and watched MTV in between long naps. I can remember the suffering of the mid 80's flu bugs quite vividly. It went from throwing up everything you've ever eaten, falling asleep for a little while, and then being woke up feverish, getting to a bathroom and dry heaving multiple times. Praying to God for mercy and confessing your sins into the toilet and promising never to do it again.

These bugs from 80-86 were something extremely painful and that have stuck with me because I recall feeling bad that my parents/grandparents would always get them and suffer after we did as kids.

Then it seems like we didn't have serious flu viruses for years. For a lot of years in all memory.

I cherished the time after I recovered and didn't have to go back to school for a day or two. Now we get 2 weeks? My kids weren't even phased by Covid when we got the first strain in 2020 or the new strain in 2021. How long do we have to keep they hysteria going?

One thing that I noticed is that there has not been a "seasonal flu" in the last 2 seasons now. Is that because Wuhan is the seasonal flu? These seasonal flu bugs change an awful lot. In the 1980's when I was a kid the most notable symptom of the flu was almost entirely abdominal. I was 6-12 years old in those days and every year at least once we all barfed our fuckin brains out, pissed out our asses, had a fever/aches/chills and watched MTV in between long naps. I can remember the suffering of the mid 80's flu bugs quite vividly. It went from throwing up everything you've ever eaten, falling asleep for a little while, and then being woke up feverish, getting to a bathroom and dry heaving multiple times. Praying to God for mercy and confessing your sins into the toilet and promising never to do it again.

These bugs from 80-86 were something extremely painful and that have stuck with me because I recall feeling bad that my parents/grandparents would always get them and suffer after we did as kids.

Then it seems like we didn't have serious flu viruses for years. For a lot of years in all memory.

I cherished the time after I recovered and didn't have to go back to school for a day or two. Now we get 2 weeks? My kids weren't even phased by Covid when we got the first strain in 2020 or the new strain in 2021. How long do we have to keep they hysteria going?

As long as the Democrats can use COVID to pass bills spending all of our money.......then they'll think of some other way to rob us blind.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back