Florida judges stand out during felon voting rights case

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
TALLAHASSEE — In a case that could have major ramifications ahead of the November election, a panel of federal judges in Atlanta questioned lawyers Tuesday about Florida’s decision to require felons pay off all court fees and fines before voting.

Ten judges from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, half of whom were appointed by President Donald Trump, peppered lawyers representing Gov. Ron DeSantis and more than a dozen felons about the state’s law and whether its requirements to pay off all fees equated to a modern-day “poll tax.”

Most of the questioning, however, fixated on complicated judicial precedents. After more than two hours of back-and-forth that was carried on Zoom, the video conferencing site, judges gave little indication how they would rule.

I'm not sure how I feel about that one. Florida has no way of tracking restitution to victims. That's huge.

TALLAHASSEE — In a case that could have major ramifications ahead of the November election, a panel of federal judges in Atlanta questioned lawyers Tuesday about Florida’s decision to require felons pay off all court fees and fines before voting.

Ten judges from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit, half of whom were appointed by President Donald Trump, peppered lawyers representing Gov. Ron DeSantis and more than a dozen felons about the state’s law and whether its requirements to pay off all fees equated to a modern-day “poll tax.”

Most of the questioning, however, fixated on complicated judicial precedents. After more than two hours of back-and-forth that was carried on Zoom, the video conferencing site, judges gave little indication how they would rule.

I'm not sure how I feel about that one. Florida has no way of tracking restitution to victims. That's huge.
Oh but they do..trust me.

What do you mean no way of tracking restitution?

Apparently they aren't tracking it. Court costs and fines are handled/tracked via the individual counties but nobody is tracking restitution.

Some of the judges Tuesday noted that SB 7066 made it nearly impossible for many people to vote because they don’t know how much they owe in fees, fines or restitution to victims. The state’s system of tracking court fees and fines is an administrative nightmare handled solely by the state’s 67 county clerks of court. Nobody tracks restitution to victims.

I don't understand how that information isn't online to begin with via any of the counties there.

Florida has no way of tracking restitution to victims. That's huge.
trusting a liar would be a trump supporter - cheating to win elections is a florida republican pastime they relish.

Apparently they aren't tracking it. Court costs and fines are handled/tracked via the individual counties but nobody is tracking restitution.

Some of the judges Tuesday noted that SB 7066 made it nearly impossible for many people to vote because they don’t know how much they owe in fees, fines or restitution to victims. The state’s system of tracking court fees and fines is an administrative nightmare handled solely by the state’s 67 county clerks of court. Nobody tracks restitution to victims.

I don't understand how that information isn't online to begin with via any of the counties there.

That is just crazy...they could never regain their rights.

Some states or counties are disorganized as all get out.

trusting a liar would be a trump supporter - cheating to win elections is a florida republican pastime they relish.
Whatever dude. I paid some restitution 20 years ago and they notified me when they paid the alleged "victim" 3 years ago. The State of Florida does NOT forget.
I had to put the money up 20 years ago, they just found the fraudulent douches 3 years ago. They still gave them my money, though.

That is just crazy...they could never regain their rights.

That's what the primary issue is. Trying to find out that information should not be a struggle especially for people who are trying to pay. I think they are essentially looking for a central platform that people can access or find information or at least something of that nature will have to be put in place to keep that requirement of the amendment in place. Or not.

Last edited:

Whatever dude. I paid some restitution 20 years ago and they notified me when they paid the alleged "victim" 3 years ago. The State of Florida does NOT forget.
I had to put the money up 20 years ago, they just found the fraudulent douches 3 years ago. They still gave them my money, though.
Whatever dude.
they passed the amendment w/ an overwhelming majority - the only reason for the legislation was to continue to prevent those people (pot smokers) from voting, slimy republicans - they do not keep records if you follow the situation to give full compliance when restitution completed. they purposely alow it to linger indefinitely.

Forum List

Back