Five Dumb Things People Believe About Unions

Count me as one.
I've seen unions close steel mills, textile mills, and cause cities ( Detroit ) to go bankrupt. I've seen union workers sitting around for half a day waiting for material, and wouldn't ( couldn't because of job description ) lift a finger to help fellow workers. I see foreign made goods fill our store shelves because the average person ( non-union worker or family ) can't afford union made products. I've seen unions protecting lazy workers from getting fired. And, if unions are so good, and good for our economy, why have they been in decline for years? It seems to me that if they were so good for workers, the economy, and good for labor in general, their numbers would be growing instead of declining.

Steel mills and textile mills closed because they couldn't compete with cheap foreign labor markets. Why couldn't they compete? They couldn't compete because high union wages and benefits made their products too expensive for the average non-union family to afford. The same goes for appliances, electronics, tools, toys, housewares, automotive parts, and farm equipment. Union labor and union wages can't compete with cheap foreign labor markets. Why does Wal-Mart do so well? Wal-Mart does well because they sell non-union made products, and the general public can afford their products. If shoppers had a choice to either buy an American made pair of jeans, or a foreign made pair of jeans, the majority of American would choose the cheaper foreign made pair. Why? Because most American shoppers are barely making ends meet.

It's very difficult to buy American union made products when you work at McDonalds flipping burgers. Of course, the high rollers and elite buy expensive products, whether they're made here by union labor, or expensive imports. But, considering the fact that we've created a poor and dependent citizenry, folks are robbing their savings and piggy banks to pay for health care, food, utilities, and rent. We're not rich enough to buy union made products. Unions ran all of our good paying jobs out of this country. Of course, our unfair, unjust, and one-sided foreign trade agreements and polices certainly contributed greatly to sending our jobs to foreign labor markets.

The bottom line is, unions are good if everyone works for a union. But, when most of the population is not making union wages, union made products are unaffordable for most. Thus the reason stores like Wal-Mart attract so many shoppers.

Many laws, organizations, and practices are created as answers to problems. Some of the problems that created labor unions have been solved, not all, and as working problems are solved the need for labor unions may have decreased. We have also discovered that organizations have more power than individuals so we organize. Organizations range from Chambers of Commerce for business to the DAV for disabled veterans. Ah, the old song, "Look for the Union Label."

Many laws, organizations, and practices are created as answers to problems. Some of the problems that created labor unions have been solved, not all, and as working problems are solved the need for labor unions may have decreased. We have also discovered that organizations have more power than individuals so we organize. Organizations range from Chambers of Commerce for business to the DAV for disabled veterans. Ah, the old song, "Look for the Union Label."
Yes, we have laws that protect workers. Unions are no longer needed.

Yes, we have laws that protect workers. Unions are no longer needed.

However, republicans lie awake at night devising ways to tear down those laws. Big business uses chamber of commerce, most of the politicians, and the supreme court as their unions, so why not workers?

Unions increase labor costs, leading companies to send jobs overseas
its a given that union wages are higher than non-union wages and that companies move to low wage countries like China to save money. Thus, unions accelerate
this trend to move to low wage countries. Make unions illegal again and this trend would slow down or reverse.[/QUOTE]

I am professionally called a union buster at times. Regent, great take on the Chamber being a union.

I can name great union situations and horrid ones. My experience is that unions know where they sit in the American value chain and are accommodating. I have not yet met a jihadi union boss.

When I sit across the table from a union boss it's a fair match-up. He's bringing his A-game and so am I. That's what I don't get about public sector unions - who's their opposition? There is none.

Forum List

Back