Feelings are not Constitutionally protected

Boss

Take a Memo:
Apr 21, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I recently had a lengthy debate on Facebook with one of my many liberal friends. I don't often do this because I respect the fact that our opinions are different, but this was an exception because of how he set up the presentation of his viewpoint. He began by telling us he was a "free thinker" and an "open minded" person who held "independent" views. That's fine, I think of myself as the same way, as do many people. Most of us simply do not conform to any particular stereotype, we are our own person with our own varying opinions on things. That said, I know this person is very passionate about what they believe. I respect that in him, even though I disagree with him often.

He made the observation that some consider him a conservative because he is a strong advocate of gun rights while others consider him a liberal because he supports gay marriage. I simply pointed out that many liberals are pro-gun and many conservatives are libertarians who support the individual liberty aspects of gay marriage. In other words, you can't put everyone in a liberal or conservative box, we are all different. He also lamented that he didn't think people should be judged or stereotyped, and I really felt my remarks were in line with exactly what he was saying.

His reply to me was, "No offense, but we all know your animosity toward liberals!" I corrected him on this, as I have no animosity toward liberals, I just think they are wrong about things. Well, that was all it took. The next thing I know, all of his liberal friends were weighing in. One after another proceeded to stereotype me, apply labels and judge me based on their false perceptions and assumptions. It was quite astonishing to watch this display from the "open minded free thinkers who don't believe in stereotyping or judging others" but it was happening before my eyes.

You see, liberals seem to believe that "free thinker" means you think about liberal viewpoints and reject everything else. The term "open minded" means your mind is open to liberal opinions and ideas and closed to everything else. Stereotyping and judging are perfectly acceptable behavior for a liberal when applied to a conservative but it is simply called "telling it like it is!" Whenever someone disagrees with a liberal, it must be because they hate the liberal or are angry at them.

I was then told that I should keep my opinions to myself and refrain from commenting on my friend's posts. But wait, what about all that tolerance and respect for individuality? If you've posted your opinion on Facebook, I presume you understand that some people may not agree with your opinion. Certainly no one could be under the delusion that social media is an outlet for your to post your opinions and have everyone heap praises upon your for your brilliant observations without one iota of disagreement.

It seems to me, today's liberal, when not thinking with their hearts are wearing them on their sleeve. It is almost as if they believe there is a Constitutional right to not have their feelings hurt. I think the Sarah Palin quote is applicable here: "Buck up or stay in the truck!" I can dig that you are passionate about your views, but you need to dig that I may not agree with your views, I may have a different view that isn't the same as yours, and I may be just as passionate. Open minded free thinkers should be able to weigh all opinions and consider them equally without casting aspersions.

After a few hours of back and forth name-calling, my friend casually decided to delete his post. I had apparently upset the apple cart by basically agreeing with him, that we should all be able to express our ideas and views without being judged or stereotyped and pointing out that not everyone agreed with his view. I had upset his liberal friends by challenging his viewpoint while they lined up to heap praise on his open minded insight and analysis. I am dreadfully sorry to say that some of our mutual friends decided to 'defriend' me because of that post. So much for bringing unity to discourse, eh?

How are we supposed to move forward with any sort of dialogue in this country? We have a group of liberal people who believe their ideas and views are unassailable and any challenge is viewed as hate speech. They claim to be tolerant but they are completely intolerant. They claim to be free thinking, but their mind is closed to any other thought which deviates from their own views. They don't want to be stereotyped or judged, yet they are the first to stereotype and judge those on the right who may disagree with their views.

The really ironic thing was, I never actually got to articulate my personal viewpoint on an issue. The incident blossomed around my argument that not everyone agrees with liberals. If this is where we are stuck at, we've got some major problems ahead trying to reconstruct purposeful dialogue. I honestly don't know where you go from there.

Liberals don't have a monopoly on speech, or human emotion. The mind cannot be enslaved by feelings or liberals alone.
But the Libs are doing it rather well, aren't they?

Not anymore. The high of hope and change is finally wearing off. All you need do is look around you and read the news and crunch the polls. People are waking up. It's just a matter of time before the inevitable happens. ;)

Liberals don't have a monopoly on speech, or human emotion. The mind cannot be enslaved by feelings or liberals alone.

Not anymore. The high of hope and change is finally wearing off. All you need do is look around you and read the news and crunch the polls. People are waking up. It's just a matter of time before the inevitable happens. ;)
I see it for sure. Disapproval rate of 53% says something, doesn't it? people waking up finally? Hope so.

How are we supposed to move forward with any sort of dialogue in this country? We have a group of liberal people who believe their ideas and views are unassailable and any challenge is viewed as hate speech. They claim to be tolerant but they are completely intolerant. They claim to be free thinking, but their mind is closed to any other thought which deviates from their own views. They don't want to be stereotyped or judged, yet they are the first to stereotype and judge those on the right who may disagree with their views.

Well, this is the crux of it. They've been able to control the conversation via Political Correctness for so long that it's now they're knee-jerk reaction to anyone who dares to challenge them on something. It appears to be in their DNA.

To answer your question, we're NOT "supposed to move forward with any sort of dialogue" with people like that, because they have no interest in doing so. Up until recently, they've been able to avoid honest dialogue with this tactic.

Looks like that tactic may finally be wearing thin, thank goodness.

I don't quite know what to make of this without being privy to the conversation in question but most conservatives are pretty much incapable of adopting a neutral tone that would give you access to an open minded conversation. Look at this kid here^^^^^^^he's here to scrap with his warrior imagery and harsh insulting tone, he will never be greeted by an open liberal mind with all that shit.

I don't quite know what to make of this without being privy to the conversation in question but most conservatives are pretty much incapable of adopting a neutral tone that would give you access to an open minded conversation. Look at this kid here^^^^^^^he's here to scrap with his warrior imagery and harsh insulting tone, he will never be greeted by an open liberal mind with all that shit.
WTF are you pointing at?

I'd like to share your optimism but do not. 1/2 of our population lives in a household receiving a gov't benefit and 16% are employed by any gov't agency with a significant ripple effect of dependents. This, combined with our slow motion decline forces people to accept 'what is' or the 'new normal'.
Like I said, it would be nice to share your optimism, but......

WTF are you pointing at?

The perpetual asshole with the knights and such on his avatar and sig line. Many of you have incendiary shit and insulting imagery on your profile and wonder why every liberal you talk to seems to think that sweet, reasonable you is some kind of pot stirring jackass.

WTF are you pointing at?

The perpetual asshole with the knights and such on his avatar and sig line. Many of you have incendiary shit and insulting imagery on your profile and wonder why every liberal you talk to seems to think that sweet, reasonable you is some kind of pot stirring jackass.

Given what you said, they are still NOT responsible for how you feel.

The point of the OP is that there are no open progressive minds, unless you are open to 100% acceptance of progressivism.

You are a prime example.

WTF are you pointing at?

Given what you said, they are still NOT responsible for how you feel.

Perception and tone are important if you are looking for an open minded conversation. If you are looking to just bash people for their views then there is no problem with presenting yourself as an asshole. Somehow I doubt anyone on this board is really that interested in a constructive dialog with a political opposite, so I am wondering why anyone is acting as if it is a goal they desire. We are all part of the problem with our parisan axes to grind, anyone here who pretends any different is a liar.

The point of the OP is that there are no open progressive minds, unless you are open to 100% acceptance of progressivism.

You are a prime example.

Are you claiming that there are open conservative minds? You know better.

Why should any one take a neutral tone with a liberal? I've heard all their lame ideas, and they all stink. I'm here to defeat these ideas, not listen to further idiocies.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

You are a prime example.

Are you claiming that there are open conservative minds? You know better.
Thanks for the confirmation. :thup:

well, that is the core of the left - my way or the highway.

didn't you know that BEFORE?

So you are stereotyping and judging people based on their avatars and profiles before even having a conversation with them? And this passes for honest and objective "open minded, free thinking tolerance?"

You've made your mind up about someone before even talking to them. Then you apply your typical list of stereotypes based on your bigoted perceptions and assumptions. Then you accuse others of being closed-minded intolerants.

well, that is the core of the left - my way or the highway.

didn't you know that BEFORE?

Well I suppose I did, but when someone protests they are neither "Liberal" or "Conservative" and they pride themselves in being "open minded free thinkers" and don't like people being judged or stereotyped... I kind of expected more. I certainly didn't expect to be hooted down and castigated, have numerous erroneous assumptions made of me personally, and be told to basically STFU and go away. And all because I simply said that some people disagree with liberals.

Forum List

Back