Federal raid on Gibson Guitars....retaliatory harassment?

Two "Feds Running Amok" threads????

I should have left Gibson off the title.

That would have kept the mods from moving the fucker.

I'm outta here.

If having a thread merged is the worst thing that happens to you today, consider yourself to have had a good day.

There are two ways to derail a thread....start a fight with someone and change the subject or merge it with another thread.

Ether way the the purpose of it is wiped out.

chances are if obama is part of the topoic in the original thead it will not be derailed. no matter which direction the thread decides to go.

Last edited:
Because Gibson supposedly violated Indian law that only Indian workers are allowed to finish the rosewood fret boards that are being exported. Nice how Eric Holder and "Team Obama" work so hard to protect bogus rights of Indian workers while they put Americans out of work.

Okay...but that is NOT retaliation, however.

A stupid law, perhaps, but your use of the word retaliation suggested that enhforcement of this stupid law is payback for some grievance.

Thanks for replying though and clearing that up for me.

Decide for yourself:

This unfortunate event begs the question, Why Gibson?

Putting aside the presumably misguided motivation to enforce another sovereign nation’s laws, why would a homegrown American company be the target of the Department of Justice in the first place?

It’s worth pointing out that Henry E. Juszkiewicz, Gibson’s Chief Executive Officer, is a donor to a couple of Republican politicians. According to the Open Secrets database, Juszkiewicz donated $2000 to Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-TN07) last year, as well as $1500 to Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN). Juszkiewicz also has donated $10,000 to the Consumer Electronics Association, a PAC that contributed $92.5k to Republican candidates

CEO of Gibson Guitar a Republican donor; Democrat competitor uses same wood - Landmark Report

Martin uses the same wood. But their CEO is a Dem.

Apparently they've been told it would be better if they outsourced their labor. No issue if the manufacturing is done by non-Americans. Kinda like rendition. :(

I live in Nashville and have plenty of musician customers.
The actual reason, as reported to me, makes perfect sense.

Gibson had been located in Michigan, where its workforce was all unionized. They moved the company to Nashville, which is in a right to work state, and opened with non-union labor.
This raid is a payback to the unions. It makes sense given the administration's debt to unions for putting them in power.

Oh god, are republicans finally going to admit they don't care about law breaking? Cause I thought they would've said during the whole warrantless wiretapping fiasco but better late than never, I guess

If a law had been broken, charges would have been filed from the first raid. Also, Martin would have been raided.

Neither has happened.

Does that tell you anything?

That tells me you are great at assuming. But where is your proof?
Oh, you're saying charges were filed against Gibson? Martin was raided?

Make your case.

But if your "proof" that this was not politically motivated is your hero-worship of Dear Reader, that's simply not good enough for normal people.

As they say, "History repeats itself"
This is the Obama Administration's Schechter Brother's moment:

FDR's Administration brought the Schechter Brothers, Hungarian immigrant Kosher butchers in Brooklyn, to trial for violating New Deal Regulations. Among the Schechter Brothers sins against the New Deal were the allowing of their customers to choose which chickens they wanted slaughtered.
The Schechter Brothers lost, filed for bankruptcy and lost everything, and the New Deal Marched on.

FDR took an ordinary two to three year economic downturn and turned it into the twelve year Great Depression.The enormous growth of the Federal Government that occurred during FDR's adminstration came at the expense of the everyday American. The Government's growth came out of the mouths of, off the backs of, and off the feet of the average American citizen of the time.

If a law had been broken, charges would have been filed from the first raid. Also, Martin would have been raided.

Neither has happened.
Does that tell you anything?

Make your case.
But if your "proof" that this was not politically motivated is your hero-worship of Dear Reader, that's simply not good enough for normal people.

I said where is your proof that they didn't break the law or that the other company did? Btw, take your last sentence. Proof is not hating Obama and is not good enough for normal ppl.

He probably meant the fretboard... at least that's the way I took it. As an Acoustic Player, I am a Martin man, tried and true. However, if Martin was doing something shady...I'd want them prosecuted.

Those rainforest woods are very scarce... between Luthiers(guitar makers) and mass burnings... Once great tonewoods for acoustics are old stock only anymore. You can't touch a Brazilian Rosewood Guitar for less than $5k-10K... (Blueridge BR-263 and 283 come to mind). almost all of the Brazilian RW available is from people who have been hoarding it.

Deforestation sucks.

The problem at Gibson is not that they are using scarce or endangered woods. The issue is that the wood they're importing is 10 mil thick rather than the 6 mil it would be after finishing. Indian law requires that the wood be finished by Indian labor. Our government has decided to enforce Indian law by way of the Lacey Act even though India has made no complaint. Other guitar companies use the same wood from the same sources. The only difference seems to be that the other guitar manufacturers are union shops while Gibson is not. :eusa_whistle:

Really?

Okay, one of us has been misinformed.

I really do not know which of us has, but the story I got was entirely different than the one you're telling us.

I have no dog is this fight one way or the other so the only thing I can say is that it would be NICE if we could count on the MEDIA to get their facts RIGHT.

I first heard the report on the unfinished wood in a radio report by Justin Owens of the Tennessee Center for Policy Research. I don't have a link I'm afraid, but the following article also supports it.
Government raids Gibson factory
Updated: 2011-09-05 09:36:23
The Federal Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. has suggested that the use of wood from India that is not finished by Indian workers is illegal, not because of U.S. law, but because it is the Justice Department’s interpretation of a law in India, says Jeremy Singer, spokesperson for Gibson UK. (If the same wood from the same tree was finished by Indian workers, the material would be legal.) This action was taken without the support and consent of the government in India, Singer adds.

Joplin Independent:Government raids Gibson factory

Our DOJ is so pro business...you guys are just whiners and cryers.
Obama is making this country more business friendly everyday. :eusa_whistle:

It looks like the DOJ has enough to do finding out who's sending all those guns to mexico, oh that's right the government is sending guns to mexico.

It looks like the DOJ has enough to do finding out who's sending all those guns to mexico, oh that's right the government is sending guns to mexico.

Yeah, American made guns = more business. :lol:
Think of the possiblilities...

Yeah, American made guns = more business. :lol:
Think of the possiblilities...

Really it's not American guitars killing Mexicans is it? Why isn't the DOJ doing someing about those illegal guns going south? OH damn I keep forgetting it was the government sending those guns too mexico, never mind.

See. And you maintain gov't is incompetent. They did a great job supplying American guns to Mexican drug cartels that got 2 agents killed. I couldn't have done it better myself.

See. And you maintain gov't is incompetent. They did a great job supplying American guns to Mexican drug cartels that got 2 agents killed. I couldn't have done it better myself.

well what can I say, the govermnent is very good when it has a goal of total control

Make your case.

I said where is your proof that they didn't break the law or that the other company did? Btw, take your last sentence. Proof is not hating Obama and is not good enough for normal ppl.
My proof they didn't break the law?

No charges have been filed, from this raid or the first one.

If you have proof that the law was broken, let's see it. Or you can continue insisting that Obama Can Do No Wrong.

Forum List

Back