Federal judge tosses lawsuit claiming Trump can't run for office under 14th Amendment.

Cellblock2429

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2016
New York
The judge ruled that Caplan did not have a particular legal injury to bring forth a federal lawsuit regarding the former president and the 14th Amendment.
“Plaintiffs lack standing to challenge defendant’s qualifications for seeking the presidency, as the injuries alleged are not cognizable and not particular to them,” the judge wrote, according to The Washington Times.

Caplan had argued in his filing that a clause in the 14th amendment that says those who “have engaged in insurrection or rebellion” against the government cannot hold office.

“The bottom line here is that President Trump both engaged in an insurrection and also gave aid and comfort to other individuals who were engaging in such actions, within the clear meaning of those terms as defined in Section Three of the 14th Amendment,” Caplan wrote in the filing, citing the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot, according to The Hill.

“Assuming that the public record to date is accurate, and we have no evidence to the contrary, Trump is no longer eligible to seek the office of the President of the United States, or of any other state of the Union," he continued.

The judge ruled that Caplan did not have a particular legal injury to bring forth a federal lawsuit regarding the former president and the 14th Amendment.
“Plaintiffs lack standing to challenge defendant’s qualifications for seeking the presidency, as the injuries alleged are not cognizable and not particular to them,” the judge wrote, according to The Washington Times.

Caplan had argued in his filing that a clause in the 14th amendment that says those who “have engaged in insurrection or rebellion” against the government cannot hold office.

“The bottom line here is that President Trump both engaged in an insurrection and also gave aid and comfort to other individuals who were engaging in such actions, within the clear meaning of those terms as defined in Section Three of the 14th Amendment,” Caplan wrote in the filing, citing the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot, according to The Hill.

“Assuming that the public record to date is accurate, and we have no evidence to the contrary, Trump is no longer eligible to seek the office of the President of the United States, or of any other state of the Union," he continued.
I voted the No one. Just looking for his 15 min of fame, but should have been 15 min of flame. Anyone with a semester or two of law knows, until there is a guilty verdict by a jury, that option is off the table. Though, if found guilty before the election, I fully expect states to move to take his name back off the ballet before the general election.

I voted the No one. Just looking for his 15 min of fame, but should have been 15 min of flame. Anyone with a semester or two of law knows, until there is a guilty verdict by a jury, that option is off the table. Though, if found guilty before the election, I fully expect states to move to take his name back off the ballet before the general election.
So you are in favor of disenfranchising millions of Trump voters?

So he didn't have standing...

Says nothing about the merit of his argument.

His argument is horse-shit.
It's the same argument recently made by Federalist Society scholars.

Do you have any idea how many of them have been appointed to the federal judiciary, by Republicans, in the past 30 years?

So you are in favor of disenfranchising millions of Trump voters?
Today? No. Like I said, without a conviction there is no legal way or reason. With a conviction (and must be one covered under 14th Amendment) absolutely! I don't give a shit if their time and money are wasted. It is wasted anyway. They are just too damned dumb to know it, as he already doesn't stand a chance in hell in the general. The asshole is just wanting the donations for his criminal defense on the 91 criminal charges in 4 separate courts. No. I do not care if the Trumper minority still have a candidate by general election time or not. They can suck on it for their stupidity. If they want to support with their time and money, somebody that cannot win and might not even be on the ballots of some states by the time the general election comes around, that is up to them. It just means they disenfranchise themselves, in my opinion. They should dump the chump and change to somebody like Nicky Haley. She could be the conservative future for that party, though not nearly openly partisan enough for the warped primary season.

Today? No. Like I said, without a conviction there is no legal way or reason. With a conviction (and must be one covered under 14th Amendment) absolutely! I don't give a shit if their time and money are wasted. It is wasted anyway. They are just too damned dumb to know it, as he already doesn't stand a chance in hell in the general. The asshole is just wanting the donations for his criminal defense on the 91 criminal charges in 4 separate courts. No. I do not care if the Trumper minority still have a candidate by general election time or not. They can suck on it for their stupidity. If they want to support with their time and money, somebody that cannot win and might not even be on the ballots of some states by the time the general election comes around, that is up to them. It just means they disenfranchise themselves, in my opinion. They should dump the chump and change to somebody like Nicky Haley. She could be the conservative future for that party, though not nearly openly partisan enough for the warped primary season.
For your information Trump is leading Biden in many polls. You seem happy with our crappy economy, a migrant crisis and rampant crime in the cities. You are just nothing but a partisan democrat with his head buried in the sand.

The Blind Hatred of the (Horrible Orange) Trump (Bad Man) is Truly Incredible To Behold.. :)

For your information Trump is leading Biden in many polls. You seem happy with our crappy economy, a migrant crisis and rampant crime in the cities. You are just nothing but a partisan democrat with his head buried in the sand.
Economy is not bothering me. The unrestricted migrant crossings bother me. The crime in the big Democrat cities bothers me, but a change of presidents will not change that, no matter who is elected, and I have long since chosen not to live in one of those shit holes, for convenience, employment or any other reason. Good luck with your polls. They will not help you. Trump does not have a chance in the general election. Just sayin...:dunno:

Here’s the thing about the 14th ammendment, particularly section 5, that says:

The Congress shall have power to enforce, by appropriate legislation, the provisions of this article.

Sounds like congress has to take action to dq trump. But then, in a way, they did, with the insurrection and rebellion act, US code 2383. So, to enforce the provision of the 14th ammendment, trump will have to be charged and convicted under 2383.

Forum List

Back