February 22, 1980. Where were you?

HelenaHandbag

Shoots back
Nov 20, 2013
Wouldn't you like to know
Another Olympics, another disappointment for Team U.S.A.

So I will just have to once again recall that wonderful evening in 1980, when my family gathered to witness what would become known as the Miracle on Ice.

I'm not even a real big hockey fan. I tried getting into it after that game, but even the Gold Medal game with 1980 Team U.S.A. couldn't live up to that most thrilling game of any kind I have ever seen.

Maybe it was the special night with family.
Maybe it was being witness to the guys in the white hats winning one of the biggest battles of the Cold War.
Maybe it was because the first time only happens once.
Probably it was all those things and more.

Nowadays, we have the "dream teams" of players hand picked from professional teams from around the world. But for that one night, a bunch of young college men, plucked from various schools from across the midwest and northeast, lived the dream and were better than what was billed as the greatest team on the planet.

Makes me misty eyed again just thinking about it and putting together this post.

If you were fortunate enough to see it, how do you remember this historic event?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwpTj_Z9v-c]Miracle - Coach Brooks Addresses Team Pre Game - YouTube[/ame]

The game winner. We went bananas!
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX5hiem8YBU]Mike Eruzione USA Game Winner - YouTube[/ame]

The countdown. You could have sworn it was New Year's Even in Times Square in our living room.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYscemhnf88]Final Minute of the "Miracle on Ice" - YouTube[/ame]

miracle-on-ice.jpg

After winning the gold, goalie Jim Craig looks for his father in the stands. His mother had died of bone cancer just a year earlier.
Miracle-On-Ice_300.jpg

The Gold Medal ceremony. For a few days, it was cool for everyone to be a patriot.
92c08fa9196ba2bf15511292e42b87d1.jpg

Last edited:
It was great. The pros now playing ruined it for me. And the two year baloney

I was in HS and just really remember thinking how cute some of them were. I was always deep :)

I was in HS in south florida. Everyone in the neighborhood was at my house watching the game. After the game for the next year or so street hockey was one our favorite neighborhood pick up games.

It was a very key time in history. A shining moment of hope to life a country that was still in the dumps from the bad times post vietnam, the busing, boat lifts, drug war, unemployment, and the cold war economy.

Feb 22nd, 1980?

Either in a lecture on thermodynamics, sleeping, eating, or getting laid.

I neglected to write a journal entry on that day.

I was raising babies. Don't even remember 1980 OR the Olympics. My husband, still alive then, may have watched.

I did not see that game.

Its to bad we did not win this one though!!

I went to the lab to get my PT INR and there was a group of women in there watching the game. They were whooping and hollering. When the receptionist called me back she said, 'unless you are watching the game.' LOL

I was wrapping up a communications conference I was leading in Pasadena CA before heading home to Kansas. The conference was held at a Catholic Monastery where we had access to no television of any kind for the five days of the conference so we missed most of the last week of the Olympics including the joy of the celebration of the Miracle on Ice.

I was at home watching the game with my father. I had been up in lake placid from sunday to Wednesday. friends of ours owned a cabin in Saranac lake. I saw some ski jumping and enjoyed the events in town and around the Olympic village.

Forum List

Back