FBI investigates Puerto Rico power contract - WSJ

Fuckin LefTards...like usual, have no fucking clue what they're talking about.
WhiteFish Energy is a company that hires union workers through the International Brotherhood Of Electrical Workers...a huge union with access to thousands of highly qualified, highly trained union hands. The size of the company with the contract means very little.
Company X is given a contract, hires workers through a union, hires a book keeping firm....TA-DA!
See how this works now morons? You're welcome in advance.

Nice explanation but you haven't explained how this little shit company with ties just happen to land a huge sweetheart deal. Fuck off stupid

If you fuckin Loons could pull your heads from your asses long enough to think logically you'd realize that no-bid contracts aren't that uncommon in urgent situations where time is of the essence and the time for due-process isn't afforded.

"U.S. law permits the government to award sole source contracts under specified circumstances (48 CFR Ch. 1, Part 6) but no-bid contracts are illegal under European Union commissioning law.[citation needed] Usually the reason is cost and urgency as a no-bid contract allows the government to get contractors working as quickly as possible in an "urgent" situation.
Legal reasons for sole source contracts in the USA include; 1. only one firm has a product that will meet the projects needs or only one firm can do the work; 2. The existence of an unusual and compelling urgency; 3. For purposes of industrial mobilization or expert services; 4. On international agreement; 5. Sole source is authorized or required by law, e.g., socio-economic programs; 6. National security and 7. The public interest."

Now go ahead and please shut the fuck up. Thank you.

Bullshit - plenty of ESTABLISHED utility companies approached, they couldn't get a call back.

But this company with 2 employers and relatively small job experience got the contract.

Haha...RIGHT.
Is that what CNN told you?

If you don't have a real response just stfu.

That was a real response....where did you hear that? Can the timelines be verified?

Nice explanation but you haven't explained how this little shit company with ties just happen to land a huge sweetheart deal. Fuck off stupid

If you fuckin Loons could pull your heads from your asses long enough to think logically you'd realize that no-bid contracts aren't that uncommon in urgent situations where time is of the essence and the time for due-process isn't afforded.

"U.S. law permits the government to award sole source contracts under specified circumstances (48 CFR Ch. 1, Part 6) but no-bid contracts are illegal under European Union commissioning law.[citation needed] Usually the reason is cost and urgency as a no-bid contract allows the government to get contractors working as quickly as possible in an "urgent" situation.
Legal reasons for sole source contracts in the USA include; 1. only one firm has a product that will meet the projects needs or only one firm can do the work; 2. The existence of an unusual and compelling urgency; 3. For purposes of industrial mobilization or expert services; 4. On international agreement; 5. Sole source is authorized or required by law, e.g., socio-economic programs; 6. National security and 7. The public interest."

Bullshit - plenty of ESTABLISHED utility companies approached, they couldn't get a call back.

But this company with 2 employers and relatively small job experience got the contract.

Haha...RIGHT.

That was a real response....where did you hear that? Can the timelines be verified?

Yes it can - HENCE THE FBI INVESTIGATION.

You think they got nothing better to do than waste time on "emergency situation" as you put it?

This thing is straight swamp.

Haha...RIGHT.

You think they got nothing better to do than waste time on "emergency situation" as you put it?

I'm telling you because I know.....this shit happens all the time with government contracts. They can award these contracts to who ever they want and simply hide behind "urgency" as their reason anytime there's even a slight bit of urgency involved.
This is just another overblown "we got him this time" crock of crazy bullshit concocted by desperate LefTards....THE END.

Haha...RIGHT.

I'm telling you because I know.....this shit happens all the time with government contracts. They can award these contracts to who ever they want and simply hide behind "urgency" as their reason anytime there's even a slight bit of urgency involved.
This is just another overblown "we got him this time" crock of crazy bullshit concocted by desperate LefTards....THE END.

...who did we get this time? Trump? Is this what everything comes down to for you? Trump concerns?

This contract stinks like corruption, lets have investigators do their job.

Haha...RIGHT.

...who did we get this time? Trump? Is this what everything comes down to for you? Trump concerns?

This contract stinks like corruption, lets have investigators do their job.

All no-bid (sole-source) government contracts reek of corruption by nature of "no-bid".
Aren't you people tired of standing in the way of shit getting done yet? Aren't you tired of wasting taxpayer dollars on unfounded, fabricated bullshit. How much more of D.C. do the Loons want to hand over to the Right on a silver platter?

The problem is this is a tiny company with close to 0 experience. they are farming out all the work & taking money off the top. giving a friend a job is not a problem. giving a job to any one not capable of doing even part of the job them self's, its a big problem when its our money.

Hey, it's just Trump paying off his friends with our 300 million. What's the big deal?
300 million to get power back and stabilized for 3.5 million people really doesn't sound that out of line. Especially taking the location and lack of skilled workers into account. When you have to ship 2,500 tons of equipment and the people that can run it to an island? I'm not sure anyone is getting ripped off here just going over the basics.

Oh stfu with that bullshit. It was a sweetheart deal using your money to enrich their friends. If you're cool with that go ahead and write them checks directly.

Fuckin LefTards...like usual, have no fucking clue what they're talking about.
WhiteFish Energy is a company that hires union workers through the International Brotherhood Of Electrical Workers...a huge union with access to thousands of highly qualified, highly trained union hands. The size of the company with the contract means very little.
Company X is given a contract, hires workers through a union, hires a book keeping firm....TA-DA!
See how this works now morons? You're welcome in advance.

First you talked about what the company does then you started in about how common contracts are. Dance dummy. No one mentioned either one of those things so you might as well reply with how a combustion engine works.

There is nothing out there that will stand up to CAT-5 weather..

I had Cat-5 rated 7.2kv power ran a mile underground to & under my property for $10K. They can bury a power line the entire length of Puerto Rico for $1 million

Last edited:
Hey, it's just Trump paying off his friends with our 300 million. What's the big deal?
300 million to get power back and stabilized for 3.5 million people really doesn't sound that out of line. Especially taking the location and lack of skilled workers into account. When you have to ship 2,500 tons of equipment and the people that can run it to an island? I'm not sure anyone is getting ripped off here just going over the basics.

$120,000.00 per ton is very expensive. Copper is only $5,300 per ton. Every power line was not erased, so dividing the cost by the million homes there is not accurate.
Neither is dividing by the tons of equipment. How much of it is trucks, backhoes, lifts etc? And that's all we heard about for weeks was how the grid was completely destroyed and Trump wasn't fixing it fast enough. Of all the things to complain about I don't see this as one to get worked up over.

Last edited:
Hmm...

FBI investigates Puerto Rico power contract - WSJ

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is investigating a $300 million (227.20 million pounds) contract that Puerto Rico’s government power company awarded to a U.S.-based energy startup, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday, citing people familiar with the matter.

The contract between Whitefish Energy Holdings and Puerto Rico’s bankrupt power utility came under fire after it was revealed last week that the terms were obtained without a competitive public bidding process.

Whitefish had more than 350 workers and 2,500 tons of heavy equipment on the ground for rebuilding electrical lines destroyed in Hurricane Maria, raising concern about Puerto Rico's management of federal disaster-relief funds to the island, the WSJ reported. (on.wsj.com/2zjM0vi)

The Federal Emergency Management Agency, multiple congressional committees and local auditors have begun requesting documents about the deal, according to the WSJ.

A Whitefish spokesman said the company was not aware of any such investigation and that it “is committed to full cooperation with any inquiry or investigation.”
Another Mueller WITCH HUNT to perpetrate a COUPE on our President Donald P. Trump!

I had Cat-5 rated 7.2kv power ran a mile underground to & under my property for $10K. They can bury a power line the entire length of Puerto Rico for $1 million
That's not true.
Yes it is. They plowed in my power line for $2 a foot.
They plowed a trench for that maybe but the underground cable costs more than 2 bucks a foot. That doesn't even include splice trays, connectors, etc. In order to run underground for a mile you have at a minimum 10 splice points.

I don't mind discussing this stuff with people but you have to be honest about it.

That's not true.
They plowed a trench for that maybe but the underground cable costs more than 2 bucks a foot. That doesn't even include splice trays, connectors, etc. In order to run underground for a mile you have at a minimum 10 splice points.

I don't mind discussing this stuff with people but you have to be honest about it.

I also have a friend that had 3K ft installed underground, Transformer, wire & installation was $12k

Puerto Rico already has all the transformers (the most expensive part) still there.

Houses in Puerto Rico are very close together. $2k each max

That's not true.

I also have a friend that had 3K ft installed underground, Transformer, wire & installation was $12k

Puerto Rico already has all the transformers (the most expensive part) still there.

Well now we have your friend that paid 4 bucks a foot. Twice what you say you paid but at least we're getting closer to the true cost. I don't know how many transformers were still good after the storm do you? I would say since their power was overhead chances are quit a few of them had the terminals ripped out by the wind swinging the lines or the poles fell over smashing the transformer.

That's not true.

Well now we have your friend that paid 4 bucks a foot. Twice what you say you paid but at least we're getting closer to the true cost. I don't know how many transformers were still good after the storm do you? I would say since their power was overhead chances are quit a few of them had the terminals ripped out by the wind swinging the lines or the poles fell over smashing the transformer.

$4/ft = $2 million to cross the entire island of Puerto Rico. And you claim $300 million is a fair price?

$120,000.00 per ton is very expensive. Copper is only $5,300 per ton. Every power line was not erased, so dividing the cost by the million homes there is not accurate.
Neither is dividing by the tons of equipment. How much of it is trucks, backhoes, lifts etc? And that's all we heard about for weeks was how the grid was completely destroyed and Trump wasn't fixing it fast enough. Of all the things to complain about I don't see this as one to get worked up over.

I buy new trucks, farm & construction equipment all the time. It cost well under $20k per ton delivered. You are claiming $120k per ton is reasonable? Is it Gold Plated with Trump Logo?

That's not true.

$4/ft = $2 million to cross the entire island of Puerto Rico. And you claim $300 million is a fair price?
You do realize it's called a grid for a reason right? You don't just run two wires down the middle of the island and call it good. Is 300 million a fair price? I don't know. But it doesn't sound all that out of line for the scope of the job.

I had a feeling the whole "underground electric construction" topic would come up eventually...

First of all, to the poster who was saying they got 5000+ feet of UG cable installed for $10K - Good for you. You totally screwed either the electric company or your contractor. It sounds to me like you and your friend installed Direct Buried utilities (which most utility companies haven't allowed since the 1980's) and they'll probably be shorting out within the next 20 years.

Now, to how REAL utility companies install underground utilities...

In coastal areas - WE DON'T. Nantucket Island here in Massachusetts has some of the most expensive homes in the region and ALL OVERHEAD UTILITIES. Why? Because the water table is too high to install underground utilities. Much of coastal Puerto Rico is the same way, even with their far less demanding depth requirements.

Proper underground utilities are far more costly to install than overhead facilities. Trenching, concrete encasement, PVC conduits and many other items come into play. Then you add the cost of pad mounted transformers, switchgears, switching modules, manholes and handholes. Now realize that most utility companies require customers to install their own underground secondary service cables from the transformer to their meter - per certified contractor and with proper permits and government inspections. But that's just the distribution side of things.

Now realize that Puerto Rico needs to generate and transmit its own electricity. The cost of repairing/replacing the several dozen generating plants and the probably several hundred above-ground substations will be enormous - and you can't bury these things. You can bury the transmission lines, but the cost is extremely high because we're talking 23kV to 116kV wires.

Now we look at who will pay for all of this.... The people of Puerto Rico. No matter who installs all of this stuff, it needs to be paid for. Whether it's PREPA or some other company, they will need to be repaid for the costs - through the kWH cost of electricity on the island. Puerto Rican citizens have already paid one of the highest kWH costs in the US before the storm. Are they really going to put up with that rate quadrupling or quintupling? I don't think so. Especially when, if this is a private company, PREPAs "blind eye" for non-payment shutoffs goes away..

Unfortunately, most of the island will still have to be served with overhead utilities. The cost and the infrastructure necessary to make Underground facilities a reasonable concept simply doesn't work out. Even the cost of the overhead work that will need to be done will likely measure in the Billions of dollars. Something nobody has figured out how to pay for as of yet.

I spoke with Missouri national guard members who were deployed to Puerto Rico after the storms & have since returned. There was no equipment or organization to allow them to help. They were just stuck there as helpless victims without housing compounding the problem. We did not send any rapid deploy bridges to repair roads, so no equipment distribution or rebuilding was possible.

This is a failure of the CNC Trump. We have the equipment to deploy stuff anywhere on the planet. It is just sitting in a storage lot rusting away.

We sent $Billions in aid & nothing got done.

Reminds me of how much Bush wasted in military spending!
Defense Contractor Was Paid $1 Million to Ship Two .19 Cent Lock Washers

Last edited:

Forum List

Back