Favorite RPG? & why?

I'm playing Far Cry 3, there's a little RPG in there.

God, that game was TERRIBLE. That was one of the worst games I have ever played. Are you in a console? That version might not be so bad but the PC ver. was so buggy that it was nigh impossible to play. The damn rootkit that comes with the game broke my computer and took me MANY hours fixing it as well biasing my outlook on the game. I received the game for FREE and was still pissed.

What are you talking about?

I had ZERO issue with Far Cry 3 - which was a great game in every respect. FC2 sucked and just about killed the franchise, but FC3 was Epic. Combat was awesome, graphics very good, huge sandbox world, and a solid plot. I only play PC.

I don't get the Skyrim love. That game has the worst c9mbat mechanics of any modern rpg. Just terrible

Really? What makes them bad? Granted, Witcher 2 takes RPG combat to a whole new level, but for the standard RPG, I didn't see anything wrong with Skyrim combat. Of course I load 14 add-ons with Skyrim, so some of them may be combat fixes.... Most are high-res packs, but I think there may be a combat fix or two.

I don't get the Skyrim love. That game has the worst c9mbat mechanics of any modern rpg. Just terrible

Really? What makes them bad? Granted, Witcher 2 takes RPG combat to a whole new level, but for the standard RPG, I didn't see anything wrong with Skyrim combat. Of course I load 14 add-ons with Skyrim, so some of them may be combat fixes.... Most are high-res packs, but I think there may be a combat fix or two.

Witcher 2 is miles better as far as combat goes. The Souls series is leaps & bounds better than both. By comparison Skyrim is a clunky disjointed mess.

I'm playing Far Cry 3, there's a little RPG in there.

God, that game was TERRIBLE. That was one of the worst games I have ever played. Are you in a console? That version might not be so bad but the PC ver. was so buggy that it was nigh impossible to play. The damn rootkit that comes with the game broke my computer and took me MANY hours fixing it as well biasing my outlook on the game. I received the game for FREE and was still pissed.

What are you talking about?

I had ZERO issue with Far Cry 3 - which was a great game in every respect. FC2 sucked and just about killed the franchise, but FC3 was Epic. Combat was awesome, graphics very good, huge sandbox world, and a solid plot. I only play PC.

Maybe its FC2 that I am thinking about then. Was FC 2 also a sandbox world? I just know that I refuse to touch FC again after that iteration because of how terrible it was. The root-kit alone means that EA really does not deserve my game dollars. Oh why did they have to be involved in Mass Effect :evil:

Probably because RPG's are more about lore and questing than combat.

Lol wut

Skyrim is CONSTANT combat.

Then you're doin' it wrong. If you want a hack & slash, just get a hack & slash.

There's tons of questing and lore in Skyrim.

That does not excuse the fact that combat was very 2 dimensional and the fact that it has a MASSIVE part to play. One of the core problems I have with skyrim is the combat and difficulty are designed for 2 year olds. I am hoping that Requiem is going to fix that and it seems to be pretty decent so far. Not very far though so I guess I will find out.

There is no excuse for a company that produces AAA titles to fail in an integral part of a major title like that anymore.

I play a mage so at least there was more to that than a fighter class in skyrim. A lot of people hated on the magic system in Skyrim but I thought it was loads better than the combat system.

Maybe its FC2 that I am thinking about then. Was FC 2 also a sandbox world? I just know that I refuse to touch FC again after that iteration because of how terrible it was. The root-kit alone means that EA really does not deserve my game dollars. Oh why did they have to be involved in Mass Effect :evil:

Yes, FC2 was set in Africa and was really disjointed. While some things were cool, EVERYONE attacked you, and they respawned constantly, which was just dumb. If I clear a route, it needs to stay cleared.

FC3 is more like the first one. I found it very well done.

That does not excuse the fact that combat was very 2 dimensional and the fact that it has a MASSIVE part to play. One of the core problems I have with skyrim is the combat and difficulty are designed for 2 year olds. I am hoping that Requiem is going to fix that and it seems to be pretty decent so far. Not very far though so I guess I will find out.

There is no excuse for a company that produces AAA titles to fail in an integral part of a major title like that anymore.

I play a mage so at least there was more to that than a fighter class in skyrim. A lot of people hated on the magic system in Skyrim but I thought it was loads better than the combat system.

I guess a lot of it has to do with expectations. In an RGP, I expect combat to ultimately be dice rolls ala the old D&D rules. I think that SkyRim does a good job of implementing this type of combat, both in magic and melee, since I don't really separate them. I mean, I generally summon a Flame Atronach to harass and annoy, while I launch a frontal attack with Dawn Breaker from the front.

I guess a lot of it has to do with expectations. In an RGP, I expect combat to ultimately be dice rolls ala the old D&D rules. I think that SkyRim does a good job of implementing this type of combat, both in magic and melee, since I don't really separate them. I mean, I generally summon a Flame Atronach to harass and annoy, while I launch a frontal attack with Dawn Breaker from the front.
Meh - I don't think I used a single discovered piece of equipment past lvl 15 - the crap you can crate yourself is just so damn powerful.

Meh - I don't think I used a single discovered piece of equipment past lvl 15 - the crap you can crate yourself is just so damn powerful.

I would create my own stuff, but I took an arrow to the knee...

Although I consider Skyrim to be one of the most complete and best RPGs I've ever played, the melee combat system could have been better. I played archers and mages, for the most part - both of which I thought were executed very well.

In terms of Far Cry - 2 was the really shitty one, where you had malaria and the world was staggeringly large and repetitive. Far Cry 3, on the other hand, was a lot of fun, in my opinion.

With the exception of some of the Daedric artifacts and unique weapons, you're right.

Although on my first playthrough, I did randomly find some dragonscale armor way, way before I could create it - around level 15 or so.

I liked skyrim alot but for some reason I loved Oblivion more...

I enjoyed Oblivion a whole lot, and there were some things I wish had returned in Skyrim - like making custom spells, and leveling up jumping and running - but as a whole, Skyrim was better in every way. The combat, even with it's problems, was better, the story was better, the scenery was much more interesting and dynamic.

Oblivion looked great, but it was boring. The whole world had the same scenery, same trees, same mountains. Skyrim did a much better job of mixing things up. So did Morrowind - both of those places looked unique and new, whereas Oblivion just looked like the most generic fantasy movie every.

Forum List

Back