Far from the Myth of 'Overpopulation'

....The fact is the decline if it happens will be quite slow .....

On the contrary, when a turning point is reached things happen fast and can't be turned around on a dime. Take a look at South Korea today. Take a look at China 30 years from now.

it's only a crisis if you buy into the theiry [sic] that any and all economic contractions are undesirable.

Now we're back to you not reading the links.

I read all the other ones and this is the theory you buy into so I assume the last couple were just going to support the theory you agree with.

Go ahead tell me I'm wrong.

Some people still insist on fomenting pointless panic over the idea of global 'overpopulation.' There is no such thing, never has been any such thing, and the world is trending strongly in the other direction (as I've been saying for years). Global fertility rates are converging around 1.7 children per woman of childbearing age. Remember, the 'break even' point for fertility is 2.1 children per. In South Korea, the population decline is so dramatic several sources calculate that if current trends remain unchanged, South Koreans will go extinct by 2750.

We have to start thinking creatively about boosting, or at least maintaining population levels, or plan with open eyes what a world with far fewer people might look like.

What an ignorant propaganda statement---the world now has 7,8 BILLION people verses the 5 Billion that it had when I was a kid. But watch the lib/globalist Troll or trolls tried to piss on our legs and tell it is rain.

In the developed world the trend toward declining population has been clear and is about as “natural” as anything can be in these societies. Of course choices of men and women to marry later and to have fewer children are mostly voluntary, if conditioned by economics. I see no problem here whatever. The planet will be better off if this is the way population is limited in future.

Population / pollution / ecological crisis will inevitably arise if under-developed countries succeed in raising their standards of living to the level of advanced countries. China has at most a third the per capita GDP of the U.S.and we already see the political panic and economic dislocation and pollution problems created by its own advance. But as China advances, it’s rate of population growth is leveling off and will start to fall. Probably quite rapidly. The universal desire for a higher quality of life on earth will naturally lower population growth and most likely lower it absolutely — if the world successfully resolves its many other pressing problems.

In any case I see no cause whatever to panic over population decline.

Last edited:
Of course it does. The GOP base has no clue what is going on in the world.....

But, let me guess, YOU are oh-so cosmopolitan and sophisticated, right? Is that why you can read minds? Normal people disdain that sort of attitude, Jack.
Well informed people around the world know that the GOP base is out of their minds due to brainwashing by their tiny only in America right wing propaganda machine from Rupert Murdoch Rush Limbaugh and hangers on. Everything they know is wrong. Hundreds of phony scandals conspiracy theories and just pure misinformation.

America has always been better than the foreigners around the world------why pretend that their opinions on america mean more than americans opinions on america.

Some people still insist on fomenting pointless panic over the idea of global 'overpopulation.' There is no such thing, never has been any such thing, and the world is trending strongly in the other direction (as I've been saying for years). Global fertility rates are converging around 1.7 children per woman of childbearing age. Remember, the 'break even' point for fertility is 2.1 children per. In South Korea, the population decline is so dramatic several sources calculate that if current trends remain unchanged, South Koreans will go extinct by 2750.

We have to start thinking creatively about boosting, or at least maintaining population levels, or plan with open eyes what a world with far fewer people might look like.

Why do we have to boost population levels?

Why do we even have to maintain a population of 7 billion?

I don't buy it.

Reality doesn't hit any less hard just because this one or that one "buys it."

It's conjecture.

What makes the author's version of reality credible?

Look into it further if you want. You'll only find more of the same. Economics is economics.

Lower population, lower demand for products, an equilibrium will be reached.

it doesn't really matter if a global population of 5 billion consumes less than a global population of 7 billion in fact it's to be expected. But some economist calls that a "less productive" society.

You didn't read the links all the way through, did you?
I read all the links you posted.

Just because i disagree with you doesn't mean I didn't read them.

Go find the nearest university and argue with some professors of economics then.

No need.

Maybe take a course while you're there.

Ah yes I don't agree with you therefore I am ignorant.

Great argument
The entire GOP base has to be ignorant to believe their ridiculous propaganda about phony scandals and conspiracies with no evidence behind them, just high School grad excokehead DJs and scumbag pundits repeating the same bologna endlessly. They seem to be unable to watch real journalists and what law enforcement have to say. Poor america. Rupert Murdoch is a total scumbag who's not allowed to be on tv anywhere else in the world.
And the drivel you just posted has absolutely nothing to do with the topic
Of course it does. The GOP base has no clue what is going on in the world they are brainwashed with misinformation and Miss 90% of the news, all the news they wouldn't like lol. in this case they don't know that the federal government has continued for decades to not allow any of our foreign services to do anything about birth control around the world and in the United states. There are too many goddamn people in the world and everyone who wants birth control should get it for free.
who mentioned the GOP?

I certainly didn't
Also known around the world by journalists and law enforcement as the problem. They will not allow birth control to be available in the United States or in the rest of the world.
Birth control is widely available in the United States and the rest of the developed world

Fertility rates are falling all around the world anyway.

and more so in affluent countries.

Gee i guess when women aren't relegated to the home they decide not to have as many kids

I guess liberals 'approve' of some choices for women (but not for female babies), but not others. The hypocrisy abounds.

it matters not if anyone approves of another's choices since they are not the business of anyone else

Sometimes they are. Often, in fact.

not if they do not directly affect you ....

If your neighbor chops his brother up with a meat cleaver, does that directly affect you?

not really but murder is one of those things we don't condone

And that's a far cry from a woman choosing not to have kids isn't it?

Depends on how she goes about 'choosing' that.

if it's legal it's none of your business

So, morality is determined by law, not the other way around?
Morality is subjective.

By definition, it is not.

Only if you except [sic] some outside moral authority.

Ironic error. Morality isn't "outside."
and there is no moral authority beyond human beings .....

So insecure. Interesting. I'll leave aside your failure of logic as I suspect it is pretty far over your head. Regardless, laws reflect what society understands to be moral (humans are willfully fallible in this regard all too often). Case in point, if grand theft auto were made 'legal' tomorrow, would YOU go out and steal a car? Would you excuse auto theft on the part of your neighbor because "well, it's legal!"? If slavery were made legal tomorrow, would you go out and enslave your fellow man? Why or why not?

... U.S. military recruitment offices have closed down across liberal cities. In an article by the WSJ in 2018, they correctly state "we are at the beginning of a recruitment crises". A crises not only of reduced enlistment, but the quality of those choosing the military is in a dramatic decline.

Do you see how a shrinking population would likely exacerbate such a situation?
Sure, but honestly... I believe the other aspect of lower birth rates, namely less productive, dumber people still having 3 kids and more... while higher productive, more educated-smarter people having less, is actually a greater problem.
The movie Idiocracy is a good parody of this. It is a parody, so obviously exaggerated, but the point it makes is valid.

Consider the consequences of having fewer and fewer younger people of working age and more and more elderly people living longer and longer. An increasingly imbalanced equation, and one that is playing out before our eyes in several countries now.

On the contrary, when a turning point is reached things happen fast and can't be turned around on a dime. Take a look at South Korea today. Take a look at China 30 years from now.

it's only a crisis if you buy into the theiry [sic] that any and all economic contractions are undesirable.

I read all the other ones and this is the theory you buy into so I assume the last couple were just going to support the theory you agree with.

What is the "theory" as you think you understand it?

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

Look into it further if you want. You'll only find more of the same. Economics is economics.

it doesn't really matter if a global population of 5 billion consumes less than a global population of 7 billion in fact it's to be expected. But some economist calls that a "less productive" society.

Go find the nearest university and argue with some professors of economics then.

No need.

Great argument
The entire GOP base has to be ignorant to believe their ridiculous propaganda about phony scandals and conspiracies with no evidence behind them, just high School grad excokehead DJs and scumbag pundits repeating the same bologna endlessly. They seem to be unable to watch real journalists and what law enforcement have to say. Poor america. Rupert Murdoch is a total scumbag who's not allowed to be on tv anywhere else in the world.
Of course it does. The GOP base has no clue what is going on in the world they are brainwashed with misinformation and Miss 90% of the news, all the news they wouldn't like lol. in this case they don't know that the federal government has continued for decades to not allow any of our foreign services to do anything about birth control around the world and in the United states. There are too many goddamn people in the world and everyone who wants birth control should get it for free.
who mentioned the GOP?

I certainly didn't
Also known around the world by journalists and law enforcement as the problem. They will not allow birth control to be available in the United States or in the rest of the world.
Birth control is widely available in the United States and the rest of the developed world

Gee i guess when women aren't relegated to the home they decide not to have as many kids

I guess liberals 'approve' of some choices for women (but not for female babies), but not others. The hypocrisy abounds.

it matters not if anyone approves of another's choices since they are not the business of anyone else

If your neighbor chops his brother up with a meat cleaver, does that directly affect you?

Morality is subjective.

So insecure. Interesting. I'll leave aside your failure of logic as I suspect it is pretty far over your head. Regardless, laws reflect what society understands to be moral (humans are willfully fallible in this regard all too often). Case in point, if grand theft auto were made 'legal' tomorrow, would YOU go out and steal a car? Would you excuse auto theft on the part of your neighbor because "well, it's legal!"? If slavery were made legal tomorrow, would you go out and enslave your fellow man? Why or why not?

No I just disagree with you. No insecurity involved.

Morality is subjective there is no universal code that has always applied to every human that has ever existed.

It used to be acceptable to kill any stranger that came into a tribes territory if fact warriors were celebrated for doing so.

And that moral code worked for eons until people started living in closer proximity that was a change on the morality of humans.

The death penalty is a prime example of the subjectivity of morality. Either it's wrong to kill another human or it's not. Sometimes it is OK to kill a person in self defense, sometimes it's not.

There is no absolute moral code on the taking of a human life.

... U.S. military recruitment offices have closed down across liberal cities. In an article by the WSJ in 2018, they correctly state "we are at the beginning of a recruitment crises". A crises not only of reduced enlistment, but the quality of those choosing the military is in a dramatic decline.

Do you see how a shrinking population would likely exacerbate such a situation?
Sure, but honestly... I believe the other aspect of lower birth rates, namely less productive, dumber people still having 3 kids and more... while higher productive, more educated-smarter people having less, is actually a greater problem.
The movie Idiocracy is a good parody of this. It is a parody, so obviously exaggerated, but the point it makes is valid.

Consider the consequences of having fewer and fewer younger people of working age and more and more elderly people living longer and longer. An increasingly imbalanced equation, and one that is playing out before our eyes in several countries now.
Absolutely

What an ignorant propaganda statement---the world now has 7,8 BILLION people verses the 5 Billion that it had when I was a kid. But watch the lib/globalist Troll or trolls tried to piss on our legs and tell it is rain.

And what happens when there are not enough people of working age to support and sustain a rapidly growing and rapidly aging senior population beyond working age as we define it now? What happens when crucial industries lay idle? What happens when the country is faced with a real military threat but we cannot field a full response because there just aren't enough men of fighting age? A lot of people get their panties in a wad over illegal immigration, but when we literally don't have enough people to keep the economy going, will you change your position?

What is the "theory" as you think you understand it?
In a nutshell, smaller population leads to less productivity and that is undesirable.

But a smaller population will have fewer material needs so a lowering of productivity is to be expected.

There are pros and cons to both.

The population will peak then decline that is inevitable. People adapt that's why there are 7 billion plus people on the planet

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

No need.

Great argument
who mentioned the GOP?

I certainly didn't

Morality is subjective.

Oh, of course not! :rolleyes-41: :lol:

And what happens when there are not enough people of working age to support and sustain a rapidly growing and rapidly aging senior population beyond working age as we define it now? What happens when crucial industries lay idle? What happens when the country is faced with a real military threat but we cannot field a full response because there just aren't enough men of fighting age? A lot of people get their panties in a wad over illegal immigration, but when we literally don't have enough people to keep the economy going, will you change your position?
so technology can increase food production increase output of all industrial processes but cannot be used to fight a war with fewer soldiers?

so technology can increase food production increase output of all industrial processes but cannot be used to fight a war with fewer soldiers?

You wanna bet your existence on that?

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

No need.

Great argument
who mentioned the GOP?

I certainly didn't

Morality is subjective.

Oh, of course not! :rolleyes-41: :lol:
ah yes you are the intellectual paragon of the message board and anyone who disagrees with you is insecure

And not to mention how technology and globalism exacerbate these problems.
Several times here I have repeated what the Chinese Minister of Finance said several years ago when asked - 'what is the greatest challenge facing the world today economically" - his answer was a great one. "What to do with the excess population". Basically even though population is on a decline, the number of people needed to provide the needs and services for that countries population is becoming smaller every year.
20 years ago, it might have taken 150,000 working people to provide for a million population. Today that number is more like 110,000 per say. Technology, corporatism and globalism is already creating a mass economic problem... as jobs for the masses are disappearing.

....The death penalty is a prime example of the subjectivity of morality. Either it's wrong to kill another human or it's not. ...

Incorrect. The death penalty is not arbitrary killing, quite the contrary.

....The death penalty is a prime example of the subjectivity of morality. Either it's wrong to kill another human or it's not. ...

Incorrect. The death penalty is not arbitrary killing, quite the contrary.

It is a killing that serves no purpose.

and some people get the death penalty for murder and some don't that is pretty arbitrary.

Forum List

Back