Far from the Myth of 'Overpopulation'

Some people still insist on fomenting pointless panic over the idea of global 'overpopulation.' There is no such thing, never has been any such thing, and the world is trending strongly in the other direction (as I've been saying for years). Global fertility rates are converging around 1.7 children per woman of childbearing age. Remember, the 'break even' point for fertility is 2.1 children per. In South Korea, the population decline is so dramatic several sources calculate that if current trends remain unchanged, South Koreans will go extinct by 2750.

We have to start thinking creatively about boosting, or at least maintaining population levels, or plan with open eyes what a world with far fewer people might look like.

Why do we have to boost population levels?

Why do we even have to maintain a population of 7 billion?

I don't buy it.

Reality doesn't hit any less hard just because this one or that one "buys it."

It's conjecture.

What makes the author's version of reality credible?

Look into it further if you want. You'll only find more of the same. Economics is economics.

....The fact is the decline if it happens will be quite slow .....

On the contrary, when a turning point is reached things happen fast and can't be turned around on a dime. Take a look at South Korea today. Take a look at China 30 years from now.

One rather small country is hardly a good comparison to global populations.

I provided you with links. I am not going to teach you an entire course on Demographics here.

Some people still insist on fomenting pointless panic over the idea of global 'overpopulation.' There is no such thing, never has been any such thing, and the world is trending strongly in the other direction (as I've been saying for years). Global fertility rates are converging around 1.7 children per woman of childbearing age. Remember, the 'break even' point for fertility is 2.1 children per. In South Korea, the population decline is so dramatic several sources calculate that if current trends remain unchanged, South Koreans will go extinct by 2750.

We have to start thinking creatively about boosting, or at least maintaining population levels, or plan with open eyes what a world with far fewer people might look like.

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

Look into it further if you want. You'll only find more of the same. Economics is economics.

Lower population, lower demand for products, an equilibrium will be reached.

it doesn't really matter if a global population of 5 billion consumes less than a global population of 7 billion in fact it's to be expected. But some economist calls that a "less productive" society.

....The fact is the decline if it happens will be quite slow .....

On the contrary, when a turning point is reached things happen fast and can't be turned around on a dime. Take a look at South Korea today. Take a look at China 30 years from now.

One rather small country is hardly a good comparison to global populations.

I provided you with links. I am not going to teach you an entire course on Demographics here.
And I read them.

But there is nothing there that provides any real proof of what will happen it's all conjecture.

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

it doesn't really matter if a global population of 5 billion consumes less than a global population of 7 billion in fact it's to be expected. But some economist calls that a "less productive" society.

You didn't read the links all the way through, did you?

We're gonna have to figure out pdq how to manage an economy, a military, and a society with a rapidly declining population. Don't wanna drop this one on the doorstep of the next few generations.
I care more about a "willing population".
What I mean is since the far leftist infiltrated the American education system beginning in the 1970s.... for the past 25 years kids have grown up in an organized system that refuses to teach national loyalty, pride etc. And replaces it with teaching them their country is a fundamentally flawed nation that abuses the world.
Add to that, U.S. military recruitment offices have closed down across liberal cities. In an article by the WSJ in 2018, they correctly state "we are at the beginning of a recruitment crises". A crises not only of reduced enlistment, but the quality of those choosing the military is in a dramatic decline.
This is by design.

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

I read all the links you posted.

Just because i disagree with you doesn't mean I didn't read them.

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

Go find the nearest university and argue with some professors of economics then.

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

Go find the nearest university and argue with some professors of economics then.

No need.

The idea of comparing the productivity of a population of 7 billion to a population of 5 billion and coming to the conclusion that the larger population is "more productive" and therefore better is a specious argument.

in general people do produce more than they consume no matter how big the population is.

Saying that a decline in numbers inevitably results in a lower standard of living just doesn't make sense as an equilibrium of supply and demand will be achieved.

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

No need.

Maybe take a course while you're there.

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

No need.

Ah yes I don't agree with you therefore I am ignorant.

Great argument

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

No need.

Great argument

You don't disagree with me, you disagree with economics. Hence my advice.

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

No need.

Great argument

Oh and economics is infallible?

Every economist agrees 100% with every other economist?

I don't buy it.

It's conjecture.

No need.

Great argument

Oh and economics is infallible?

Every economist agrees 100% with every other economist?

Again, go tell them about it. You can rewrite the entire field all by yourself since you know better.

... replaces it with teaching them their country is a fundamentally flawed nation that abuses the world.

That is not what most students are taught.
Oh yes it is.
I live in Indiana, hardly a bastion of liberal thought. The last time a Democrat won a Presidential election here was 1964.
We are the "reddest" state in a red region.
Both my kids faced not so much anti-American rhetoric in K-12... but GONE was pro-American lessons. GONE was pledge of allegiance. GONE was the flags in all of the classrooms. But then there came college. And with that came liberal professors openly expressing their left rhetoric to students despite the fact it wasn't a political/history course. There is no argument American Universities are liberal think tanks and anti-military. Especially anti-military.

....But then there came college. And with that came liberal professors openly expressing .....

No one is obligated to attend college. Professors have heavily been silly-ass liberals since the 60s. By the time you get to college, if you choose to go, you should know your own mind well enough to weather the storm of a few courses taught by some far left asshole.

Forum List

Back