Family of lieutenant killed at University Of Maryland's campus just days before his graduation ceremony seeks White House help for Arlington burial

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
Flashback: President Trump berates London's mayor and says nothing about Lt. Richard Collins killed minutes from the White House by American terrorists - June 4, 2017

Flashback: President Trump berates London's mayor and says nothing about Lt. Richard Collins killed minutes from the White House by American terrorists - June 4, 2017

Sad death but why would he be buried at Arlington? He was never active duty. He was ROTC, not a Lieutenant.

Sad death but why would he be buried at Arlington? He was never active duty. He was ROTC, not a Lieutenant.
Why can't you watch the fucking video? He was a Lieutenant. He had not made it to active duty yet. My daughter was commissioned as an Army officer in May BEFORE she graduated from college the next day, and did not go to active duty until August.

Dumbass!

Why can't you watch the fucking video? He was a Lieutenant. He had not made it to active duty yet. My daughter was commissioned as an Army officer in May BEFORE she graduated from college the next day, and did not go to active duty until August.

Dumbass!
Nonetheless the rules of Arlington are that you must had served active duty. He did not.

To be honest, he should not be there.

Arlington is so full now, that only a few are eligible to be placed there.
  • Members who died on active duty and their immediate family.
  • Retirees and their immediate family.
  • Recipients of the Purple Heart, or Silver Star and above.
  • Any honorably discharged POW who died after Nov. 30, 1993.

And he meets none of those qualifications. And unlike what somebody had earlier said, it is not "served on active duty" as a qualifier, but "died on active duty". A huge difference.

Oh, and the "family"? They are not even given their own plot. They are literally placed above or below their family member (depending on who died first). An individual does indeed get a plot, but any other shares their grave. That is why my grandfather and grandmother share a single plot in a Veteran's Cemetery.

He was a loss to the nation, no doubt. He was airborne qualified and was branched into Military Intelligence, if I'm seeing correctly. I was around that branch in the Army, 1989-1993, and I didn't see very many black officers or enlisted for whatever reason.

He deserves to be buried at Arlington, but there is only so much room there. The people who founded it had no way to know how many lives of great Americans would be sacrificed to the military-industrial complex.

Then you must have been blind.
People are so easily triggered to hostility on here.

Maybe because I was mainly in Germany, and many of the intell guys were linguists whose dream was to be "real spies." In my brigade level unit on Fort Meade, the commander was a black Colonel intelligence branch. That is literally the only black intel officer I remember.

We did have one black civilian who spoke German fluently and would go around telling Germans that he was born in Bremerhaven. I don't know, and would not know, if they ever used him undercover as a German. He wouldn't have been hard to spot at the gasthaus.

To be honest, he should not be there.

Arlington is so full now, that only a few are eligible to be placed there.
  • Members who died on active duty and their immediate family.
  • Retirees and their immediate family.
  • Recipients of the Purple Heart, or Silver Star and above.
  • Any honorably discharged POW who died after Nov. 30, 1993.

And he meets none of those qualifications. And unlike what somebody had earlier said, it is not "served on active duty" as a qualifier, but "died on active duty". A huge difference.

Oh, and the "family"? They are not even given their own plot. They are literally placed above or below their family member (depending on who died first). An individual does indeed get a plot, but any other shares their grave. That is why my grandfather and grandmother share a single plot in a Veteran's Cemetery.
Mushroom, my son was on the Army burial detail at Arlington, I am well familiar with the requirements.

Thank you for admitting you are a dumbass.

Rules get changed all the time. All the Secretary of the Army has to do is make an exception.

I am looking forward to all the lib's heads exploding when Trump is buried there!
Stupid, they are already restricting eligibility now, since the cemetery is almost full.

Thanks for admitting you are a dumbass.

Forum List

Back