Family of Black high school student files federal lawsuit over hair discrimination

I do wonder if the school have thought this through ? These petty rulings have no effect on education and in this case are just discriminatory.

Every year we hear of some shool that thinks its a military academy. I believe that this is one of the schools that turned its libraries into jail cells. Ho hum.

The young man is smart and obviously takes a pride in his appearance. What else do they want ?
I disagree with your petty rules comment.
Years ago the 'students' started wearing their gang colors of the Crips and Bloods...blue and red.
Damn, turf wars broke out until they had to put them into uniforms with non combative colors.
Tan, I believe was the color of choice. So don't underestimate what you consider "petty rulings".

You probably conformed to the universal unwritten dress code that most are aware of in that you dressed appropriately for the job.
My hair extends to the middle of my back. I wear Native clothing 24/7.
I would not conform to any dress code, and yes, I've been asked. I refused.

Free to graduate while reading at8th grade level if at all…great!
And this is an example of the racism typical of the right – the unwarranted opposition to how the student styles his hair conservatives find frightening and offensive.

The student is also engaging in freedom of expression, in an expression of individual liberty, and an act of social dissent likewise frightening to conservatives.

Employers need to be taken to task over dress codes as far as hair goes. And I've had short hair my whole life. Management cannot be my friends.

The only dress code was the one imposed on us by the government, which said that non rez Natives were not allowed to wear Native clothes. It lasted until the 1970’s.
That wasn't my question. Do natives have a dress code?

They said the same thin back in the late 70s when my hair was down to about my shoulder blades….I did just fine.
The 'beat' and hippy generations sowed the seeds for the thoughtless, self-absorbed, self-destructive youth of today.

I do wonder if the school have thought this through ? These petty rulings have no effect on education and in this case are just discriminatory.

Every year we hear of some shool that thinks its a military academy. I believe that this is one of the schools that turned its libraries into jail cells. Ho hum.

The young man is smart and obviously takes a pride in his appearance. What else do they want ?

This took place in Houston. I knew it would be a blue city even before I clicked the link.

Sooo, learning isn't really necessary?
How does this stop kids from learning??

b76b43f68f84255c50a7a878ab415d1b.jpeg

Especially if a teacher can walk in with their hair like:

web_extremist-files_stephen-miller-0720.jpeg

FOH

It seems strange that a school district would enforce regulations about hair while boys are wearing dresses in other parts of the country. There must be more to the story. Does the kid have a disease or lice?
According to science, it is 10 times more likely for white kids to have lice than that black kid...so no....

"According to a study done in the ’80s, about ten percent of white children got lice, while a mere 0.3% of African Americans got lice. “African-American hair is shaped differently than Caucasian, Hispanic, or Asian hair, and lice have a hard time getting their grasping hooks around the shaft.”

Just say you hate black kids if they don't conform to what you want and call it a day...

Forum List

Back