Exclude Secret Service from prisons?

Robert Urbanek

Platinum Member
Nov 9, 2019
Vacaville, CA
Should Congress suspend Secret Service protection for any time a former office holder is in prison? One objection to a prison term for Trump is that it would put the Secret Service in the awkward position of having to post their people inside the prison to provide the former President with around-the-clock protection.

Last edited:
Should Congress suspend Secret Service protection for any time a former office holder is in prison? One objection to a prison term for Trump is that it would put the Secret Service in the awkward position of having to post their people inside the prison to provide the former President with around-the-clock protection.
The problem will be with Joey Capone, not Trump.

IF 'imprisoned', he will likely be 'imprisoned' at one of his properties.
With full SS coverage.

Nah...just stick him in SUPER MAX and he'll have his own private room where he can drink from the toilet.

The Judge can avoid the conflict as posed by the OP.

Place Trump in house arrest is a modest setting in DC, with no internet or computer or other devices.

The VP and the Cabinet then would forward a 25th Amendment protocol to accept the removal of the President for cause.

I can't imagine that would be the most awkward situation the secret service has been in, particularly with Trump. Congress can do as it likes, but I wouldn't expect to see such a thing to make it to a floor vote as long the GOP holds the house.

Congress has nothing to do with it, I think.

The Judge will rule, I bet, that Trump would not have computer, phone or internet access, and that any of his meetings would have to be supervised by personnel from the FISA court system.

His VP and Cabinet would be under incredible pressure to invoke 25th Amendment. That could lead to Trump's removal from the Presidency, then a pardon by a new President, the resignation of the VP, and the appointment of Trump to that position.

That would have to be approved by Congress.

Fun days.

Should the Secret Service be immune from charges if they intentionally destroyed evidence that might implicate the current administration in a crime?

The secret service should be charged if they intentionally thwart any investigation of a current or a past President and administration.

AG Garland made it quite clear to them to toe the line when the investigators came.

Six or seven retired and stonewalled the investigation.

Forum List

Back