Ex-Time magazine reporter: the Day I knew journalism died in America

The process was completed during the Clinton years but I would say Watergate started journalism down the slippery slope of activism and Democrat partisanship.

Some would say biased journalism has been around since newspapers first began printing the news, several hundred years ago. And sometimes it was pretty vitriolic, the presidential election in 1800 between John Adams and Thomas Jefferson was particularly vicious. And of course newspapers were particularly partisan in the years leading up to the Civil War, and again during WWI and WWII where isolationists wanted to stay out of the conflicts and others wanted in. Vietnam was the same way, most of the news about the Vietnam war was slanted against that war.

So, biased journalism is nothing new, there's just more of it and it's all pretty much out there for consumption. There are all sorts of websites and blogs on every side of a particular issue, and people tend to gravitate towards the sources that they agree with. That's human nature I suppose, it ain't easy to be a critical thinker, and it ain't easy to find sources that are unbiased.

All of which is to say that IMHO journalism isn't dead but it is changing. But it's always been biased and probably always will be. We just have to try to figure out what the truth is.

Very true, the MSM became complete shills during the Clinton era.

It always cracked me up when a lefty says DT ruined America's trust in MSM.
He was just pointing out on stage what many of us already new- they were all fake news.

I remember we called CNN the Clinton News Network back in the 90's & it has gotten much worse over the years

Some would say biased journalism has been around since newspapers first began printing the news, several hundred years ago.
The difference during the past 50 years is that journalism has become a united mouthpiece for one political party. This is not just ideological. There is a direct money connection in the revolving door of Government, NGO and Media employment. This also involves special benefits to spouses and family members. Money talks, and journalism walks.

The difference during the past 50 years is that journalism has become a united mouthpiece for one political party. This is not just ideological. There is a direct money connection in the revolving door of Government, NGO and Media employment. This also involves special benefits to spouses and family members. Money talks, and journalism walks.
I got fooled by all this leftwing propagandizing --- I subscribed to The Week, a newsmagazine that looks like Newsweek used to inside. They send out teaser issues to prospects that are NOTNOTNOT representative of the actual magazine, so watch out. I'm dying for a nice conservative, or at least plain factual newsmagazine, but they can't be found, by me at least. The actual magazine propagandizes very leftwing stuff in every article and sub-article. Constant complaining and criticizing against the right.

Drat, I shoudda known. :45:

Forum List

Back