EV's versus Gasoline Power. The Big Lie from the Progressives.

Mikeoxenormous

Diamond Member
May 6, 2015
Floor E Da

This loss amounts to 5 percent at slow charging and up to 40 percent for the rapid one. The car electricity consumption should refer to the electricity flow from the “wall” outlet to the charger, not just from the battery to the motor and auxiliaries. We arbitrarily assume a 20 percent penalty for those three losses which then changes the number to 0.85 MJ/km. When considering the 33 percent efficiency in electricity generation from fossil fuels, the number grows to 2.5 MJ/km.

My Honda Civic, a bigger car than the Leaf and not designed for the extra low friction of electric and hybrid cars, has been getting 39 mls/gal which is 2.0 MJ/km. Gasoline refineries and distribution burn about 15 percent of the energy in the fossil fuel, a consideration that raises the number to 2.3 MJ/km. But since I drive in the style of a “driver who does not need brakes,” I looked up the dealer advertised numbers and found 36 mpg. That mileage brings the number to 2.5 MJ/km.

By coincidence those final numbers for both cars are exactly the same. Their closeness confirms the obvious: If the origin of the energy for powering either car is based on fossil fuels, the energy consumed per distance will not differ much.

But if you are stranded in a blizzard on I-95 in your EV, you will start to freeze a lot sooner than you would in a gasoline powered car.

1659833125459.png

*****SMILE*****

:)

But if you are stranded in a blizzard on I-95 in your EV, you will start to freeze a lot sooner than you would in a gasoline powered car.

You silly man--- all EV cars need to do to fix that problem is install a SECOND 800 pound battery in the car used solely to heat the FIRST battery to keep it warm!

All you need give up to do that is the passenger seat area where your wife used to sit, making it a one person $90,000 car! :smoke:

You silly man--- all EV cars need to do to fix that problem is install a SECOND 800 pound battery in the car used solely to heat the FIRST battery to keep it warm!

All you need give up to do that is the passenger seat area where your wife used to sit, making it a one person $90,000 car! :smoke:
How's the heater core in that '89 Taurus of yours?

Forum List

Back