EVs are not selling well. Dealers are upset

Robert W

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 9, 2022
It turns out Dealers got far too many EVS to sell and buyers are holding back. While the ICE cars are in high demand. Seems the people believing in EVs have bought all that are available to those folks. Meanwhile Tesla keeps dropping prices praying it works.

There's a little problem - they occasionally blow up your house.... or burn it to the ground while you're in it.

Just growing pains.

climate-ev-coal-electric-democrat.jpg

New EV's are just way too expensive for the average person to buy.
Most people with upper incomes wanting to make a fashion or political statement have already bought their EV so now the market for new EV's has stagnated.
Only new car dealerships with sky high labor rates and parts will attempt to repair one.
Independent car repair shops won't touch an EV
Battery milage is cut in half in the fall/winter of cold weather states.
Replacement batteries for older EV's will cost more than the car is worth. Basically, the car will be written off as a total loss and hauled off to the junkyard
In a few years used car lots will be full of EV's nobody wants to by.

Last edited:
EVs are still in their infantsy. Of course there are and will be problems to work out. Nobody expects them to be completely worked out right now.

They have only seen 1% growth in the past 12 months.
So of course it is a "record sales" since 1% more is... more.
At any rate considering it all, 1% growth is abysmal for a product that is supposed to take over the market by 2030.

EVs are still in their infantsy. Of course there are and will be problems to work out. Nobody expects them to be completely worked out right now.
How many of your purchases do you want rammed down your throat where you can't afford them?

In 20 years they’ll be laughing at us and our gasoline powered cars.
I have pointed out many times that a major problem with the current EV is the enormous battery weight. And of course the problem in getting rare earth materials to keep making the batteries. I have suggested the hydrogen powered EV which is safer and that Hydrogen is easy to get. You can even get it from water.

Then why has / is government creating huge incentives (and it has since 2008)? Ding ding .. someone is benefiting and it's not the consumer purchasing these lackluster vehicles.

I'm in Atlanta, the South, and I see EVS and hybrids all over the place.

Couple years ago, I was speaking to the serviceman at well-known auto brand in a well-known suburb and he told me that they're selling like crazy.

In 20 years they’ll be laughing at us and our gasoline powered cars.
In 20 years we will still be looking at cool gas powered muscle cars at car shows, and then we will get in our electric car to go home.

Can't wait for Newsom's Electric Vehicle mandate, which begins phasing out fossil fuel vehicle sales in 2026, to fully mature in 2035. California dealers will no longer be able to sell new fossil fuel vehicles after this point.

The fully loaded, Ford 150 Lightning is 100K+ and probably more in California.

Forum List

Back