Evangelicals Have Higher-than-average Divorce Rates

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
Evangelicals Have Higher-than-average Divorce Rates, According to a Report Compiled by Baylor for the Council on Contemporary Families

Feb. 5, 2014

WACO, Texas (Feb. 5, 2014) -- Despite their strong pro-family values, evangelical Christians have higher than average divorce rates -- in fact, being more likely to be divorced than Americans who claim no religion, according to findings as cited by researchers from Baylor University.

The research is part of a new report released by the Council on Contemporary Families.

The council report coincides with the 50-year anniversary of the passage of the Civil Rights Act, which made it illegal to discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, national origin, religion or gender. The council's report, which included findings by a dozen researchers, dealt with changes in the past half century for each of the populations affected by the law: religious groups, racial and ethnic minorities and women.

Baylor's portion of the report dealt with 50 years of religious change, from 1964 to 2014. Other findings by Baylor were:

Evangelicals Have Higher-than-average Divorce Rates, According to a Report Compiled by Baylor for the Council on Contemporary Families

ABOUT BAYLOR UNIVERSITY

Baylor University is a private Christian university and a nationally ranked research institution, characterized as having "high research activity" by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. The university provides a vibrant campus community for approximately 15,000 students by blending interdisciplinary research with an international reputation for educational excellence and a faculty commitment to teaching and scholarship.
------------------------------------------------
What do you have to say about this , Christians. There doesn't seem to be very many article about this as I assume the Evangelicals and Fundy's do not want to advertise it.:)

Evangelicals are often like Catholics. No reading ability. Liars on a pulpit own them.
Marriage is a covenant with God and witnessed by many....except in Vegas.

Evangelicals are often like Catholics. No reading ability. Liars on a pulpit own them.
Marriage is a covenant with God and witnessed by many....except in Vegas.

Well the Christians believe in God, yet they get divorced more than atheists.

It seems like people are reveling in this alleged failure by Evangelicals. Sucks to be those revelers.

So the Christians aren't as good as one would suspect, believing in the God and Jesus. I see it everyday, Christians do horrendous things, and acting badly, in the name of Jesus.

Its a fact of life.

BRB. Got me summa that thar Evanelicalization to get after. I missed Sun Day (not the Sabbath)
god-guns-guts-abstract-background-concept-scene-uses-metaphors-gun-rifle-weapon-holy-bible-beer-bottle-32557326.jpg

prolly cuz theyre weird/culty

Actually it's probably because they marry at a higher rate, and earlier then the general population.
That's irrelevant, since it's a RATE of divorce, i.e. per capita. That means they're comparing Divorce per x-number of marriages, not comparing overall number of divorces.

I've actually never met an evangelical that wasn't super odd-seeming...like jehovah's witness sorta creepy

Actually it's probably because they marry at a higher rate, and earlier then the general population.
That's irrelevant, since it's a RATE of divorce, i.e. per capita. That means they're comparing Divorce per x-number of marriages, not comparing overall number of divorces.

It isn't irrelevant because they are more likely to be married, and married earlier than the general population.

I've actually never met an evangelical that wasn't super odd-seeming...like jehovah's witness sorta creepy

Jehovah's witnesses aren't evangelicals as the term is used in general practice.

It isn't irrelevant because they are more likely to be married, and married earlier than the general population.
More likely to BE married is not an excuse for being more likely to BE divorced. It's a comparison of MARRIED COUPLES who end in divorce, PER CAPITA.

That means, I'll type it slow..

Comparing A random sample of FIVE MARRIAGES
& An evangelical sample of....

(you guessed it...FIVE MARRIAGES...)

Has the evangelicals' sample set producing more divorces.

When something is a RATE, it controls for sample-set. Guess the statistics class missed you.

Jehovah's witnesses aren't evangelicals as the term is used in general practice.
It was a comparison. Are you daft, this a.m.? I wasnt calling jehova's witnesses evangelicals. Try reading it again, slower this time.

More likely to BE married is not an excuse for being more likely to BE divorced. It's a comparison of MARRIED COUPLES who end in divorce, PER CAPITA.

When something is a RATE, it controls for sample-set. Guess the statistics class missed you.

You are ignoring the human factor in all of this. Being married earlier, and being in a culture that believes in sex after marriage probably leads to people who wouldn't be married if not evangelical being married when evangelical.

You are arguing hows, and not whys.

Barna should, however, acknowledge that the divorce rates for conservative Christians are higher than for liberal Christians. He also doesn't take the further step of acknowledging that perhaps conservative Christianity and conservative religion, in general, are unable to provide a sound basis for marriage - that perhaps there are other, more secular foundations for marriage that conservative Christians are missing. What might they be? Well, an obvious possibility is treating women like fully autonomous equals in the relationship, something which conservative Christianity frequently denies.
Divorce Rates for Atheists Lower Than Christians

---------------------------------------
The Statics Show the Difference
The Barna Research Group, an evangelical Christian organization that does surveys and research to better understand what Christians believe and how they behave, studied divorce rates in America in 1999 and found surprising evidence that divorce is far lower among atheists than among conservative Christians - exactly the opposite of what they were probably expecting.

Barna should, however, acknowledge that the divorce rates for conservative Christians are higher than for liberal Christians. He also doesn't take the further step of acknowledging that perhaps conservative Christianity and conservative religion, in general, are unable to provide a sound basis for marriage - that perhaps there are other, more secular foundations for marriage that conservative Christians are missing. What might they be? Well, an obvious possibility is treating women like fully autonomous equals in the relationship, something which conservative Christianity frequently denies.

---------------------------------------
The Statics Show the Difference
The Barna Research Group, an evangelical Christian organization that does surveys and research to better understand what Christians believe and how they behave, studied divorce rates in America in 1999 and found surprising evidence that divorce is far lower among atheists than among conservative Christians - exactly the opposite of what they were probably expecting.

Atheists could also be more likely to just cohabitate instead of getting married, thus ruining the comparison.

You are ignoring the human factor in all of this. Being married earlier, and being in a culture that believes in sex after marriage probably leads to people who wouldn't be married if not evangelical being married when evangelical.

You are arguing hows, and not whys.
They whys are already established. It's their culture. It's inferior... for marriage.

All you're doing is reiterating the same thing that the statistic already shows, numerically.

Forum List

Back