EV Sales Will Always Remain Low

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Smug Alert...

192aa7826a116d2dace0773574661425.jpg

Sales for things like the auto, cellphones, tvā€™s etc took off because they filled a void in making life better for consumers. And sales continued because they got better and cheaper.

EV fills no void, costs more and does nothing for the consumer except wave a vanity flag at everyone.

ā€œKind of astonishing how disappointingā€ EV sales have been ā€“ so please donā€™t kill petroleum companies yet please
Electric status symbol for urban areas and short haul, but you can now recharge at Walmart.

Sales for things like the auto, cellphones, tvā€™s etc took off because they filled a void in making life better for consumers. And sales continued because they got better and cheaper.

EV fills no void, costs more and does nothing for the consumer except wave a vanity flag at everyone.

ā€œKind of astonishing how disappointingā€ EV sales have been ā€“ so please donā€™t kill petroleum companies yet please
Electric status symbol for urban areas and short haul, but you can now recharge at Walmart.
I always dreamed of taking +2 hours to refuel my car for a ā€˜nominalā€™ fee!

upload_2020-1-18_20-8-2.jpeg

I only have one goal in life now ... to race past a two-mile long line at the electric charging station at 75MPH ... spewing exhaust.

tesla-queues.jpg

There are a few technological hurdles, that if we ever overcome them, I expect that electric vehicles will take over, and internal-combustion-powered vehicles will very rapidly become obsolete.

There are some very huge advantages to electric vehicles.

Consider that a typical; electric motor has just one moving part; compared to perhaps a hundred or more moving parts in a typical internal-combustion automobile engine.

An electric motor is also electrically-reversible, and has a much wider power band, which means that you don't need nearly as complex a transmission to go with it.

All of this greatly-reduced mechanical complexity ought to mean a lower initial cost to manufacture, lower maintenance costs, and greater reliability and longevity.

An electric vehicle is also much more energy-efficient than an internal combustion engine. My understanding is that in a typical internal combustion engine, only about a third of the power released by burning the fuel comes out the crankshaft in a usable form. Most of it is wasted as heat, vibration, noise, etc. In fact, automobiles have a whole cooling system, just to keep the engine from burning itself up with all the wasted heat. That heat is energy that came from burning the fuel, but which contributes nothing to making the vehicle go.

The big problem is the battery. We still do not have any battery technology, that can store as much energy in a form usable to an electrical car, that is anywhere close to the amount of energy that can be stored in a similar mass and volume of gasoline, diesel fuel, or any other suitable fuel for an internal-combustion engine; nor can we charge a battery nearly as fast as we can pump fuel into a conventional automobile. And the best battery technology that we do have is very expensive, and has a limited usable life. That's where internal combustion engines cars still have a very strong advantage, and will probably keep that advantage for quite some time yet to come.

They are selling more and more each year
As the charging infrastructure gets better, they will take a larger part of the market

Eventually, internal combustion will be banned. Not by us, we are too selfish, but our children

As the charging infrastructure gets better, they will take a larger part of the market

Eventually, internal combustion will be banned. Not by us, we are too selfish, but our children
Fascists and cults ban technology.

upload_2020-1-18_20-17-29.jpeg

There are a few technological hurdles, that if we ever overcome them, I expect that electric vehicles will take over, and internal-combustion-powered vehicles will very rapidly become obsolete.

There are some very huge advantages to electric vehicles.

Consider that a typical; electric motor has just one moving part; compared to perhaps a hundred or more moving parts in a typical internal-combustion automobile engine.

An electric motor is also electrically-reversible, and has a much wider power band, which means that you don't need nearly as complex a transmission to go with it.

All of this greatly-reduced mechanical complexity ought to mean a lower initial cost to manufacture, lower maintenance costs, and greater reliability and longevity.

An electric vehicle is also much more energy-efficient than an internal combustion engine. My understanding is that in a typical internal combustion engine, only about a third of the power released by burning the fuel comes out the crankshaft in a usable form. Most of it is wasted as heat, vibration, noise, etc. In fact, automobiles have a whole cooling system, just to keep the engine from burning itself up with all the wasted heat. That heat is energy that came from burning the fuel, but which contributes nothing to making the vehicle go.

The big problem is the battery. We still do not have any battery technology, that can store as much energy in a form usable to an electrical car, that is anywhere close to the amount of energy that can be stored in a similar mass and volume of gasoline, diesel fuel, or any other suitable fuel for an internal-combustion engine; nor can we charge a battery nearly as fast as we can pump fuel into a conventional automobile. And the best battery technology that we do have is very expensive, and has a limited usable life. That's where internal combustion engines cars still have a very strong advantage, and will probably keep that advantage for quite some time yet to come.
Why would EV sales increase? What can they do that my car canā€™t do? Besides refuel in under 5 minutes that is.

"Ought to mean"? Personally I have no faith whatsoever that EVs are not subject to planned obsolescence by the manufacturers.

"Ought to mean"? Personally I have no faith whatsoever that EVs are not subject to planned obsolescence by the manufacturers.
And after a few years youā€™ve got a huge battery replacement to deal with.

Our children and our grandchildren and our great grandchildren will still have as much need as we do for affordable, reliable transportation. Internal combustion will not be banned until other technology is truly available to affordably take its place. At this point, no other technology is yet anywhere close.

All in all, it's a pretty stupid OP.

Tesla is selling all the cars it can produce. They are kicking their main competitor's ass (BMW 3-series) to the extent that BMW is LYING ABOUT ITS SALES to make the damage look better.

Every major car company in the world is investing BILLIONS to bring EV's to the market. Porsche's sports car is SOLD OUT even though it won't come to market for months! And it STARTS at $130 thousand! The new Mustang (small EV SUV) will sell like hotcakes.

What do they do? (you idiot) THEY RUN ALL DAY ON A FEW CENTS WORTH OF ELECTRICITY! They last longer with fewer repairs. They have been using Model S's in Europe as taxis for YEARS, and the projected battery life is 800,000 KM, and the motors TWICE THAT! And for performance buffs, EV's are faster than almost every ICE car. 0-60 times for AWD EV's are approaching two seconds!

And the vast majority of Tesla/EV owners CHARGE UP AT HOME, when necessary, so they NEVER have to wait in line. And do you honestly think that the shortage of charging stations will persist? They will PROLIFERATE until the wait times will be down to nothing in five years.

They are not for everybody and never will be, but within ten years half the cars and SUV's on the road will be EV's.

We are evolving to new technologies
The days of internal combustion are numbered

What do they do? (you idiot) THEY RUN ALL DAY ON A FEW CENTS [sic] WORTH OF ELECTRICITY!

I'm trying to decide if you're delusional, just plain ignorant, or indulging in some rather extreme hyperbole, here.

At some point, I happened to take a close look at a charging station, and took note of what the price was per KWH. I don't recall the number, but I did calculate at the time, that it was equivalent to paying about $10/gallon for gasoline. I should be able to calculate back from there. I know that gasoline has about 33.7 KHW of energy per gallon. $10 for a gallon of gasoline would equate to 10Ć·33.7=29.673ā€¦ call it about 30Ā¢ per KWH. That sounds about right.

Now, if we can assume that an electric car is three times as efficient as one using an internal combustion engine (which I have to say, is a generous assumption), then the cost per mile ought to be about comparable to running a conventional car that is burning gasoline at about $3.33 per gallon.

Of course, that charging station that I saw is probably costing a premium, compared to what you'd pay for electricity to your home from your utility, so you could probably charge your car more cheaply at home than at a charging station.

But still, if you're buying electricity from a utility at any kind of normal rates, you are most certainly not going to run an electric car all day for only a few cents' worth of electricity, any more than you're going to be running a conventional car all day for only a few cents' worth of gasoline.

Just as an aside, here's what my own utility charges me for electricity. The 30Ā¢/KWH from a charging station is comparable to the very highest rate from SMUD, in peak summertime hours. It's possible, I suppose, that the charging station that I observed may charge different rates at different times, according to what SMUD is charging the operator of that station. I only ever looked at its stated rate one time. It's probably meant to make a profit for its owner, who probably isn't going to sell electricity to its customers ever, without charging enough above whatever SMUD is charging him at the time for that electricity to make a reasonable profit.

And the vast majority of Tesla/EV owners CHARGE UP AT HOME, when necessary, so they NEVER have to wait in line. And do you honestly think that the shortage of charging stations will persist? They will PROLIFERATE until the wait times will be down to nothing in five years.
Unless there's a huge advance in the ability to quickly charge batteries, the wait time, once you get to a charger, will still remain much longer than the wait time while refueling a conventional automobile.

In order for the wait time in line to get to a charger to be comparable to that to get to a gasoline pump, the ratio of chargers to electric cars will have to be much greater than the ratio of gas pumps to gasoline-powered cars.

Last edited:

Forcing people to buy products at the end of a gun - Leftardism.

Forcing people to buy products at the end of a gun - Leftardism.

Seat Belts, Air Bags, Motorcycle helmets, bans on smoking, environmental laws....Guilty as charged

Forum List

Back