EV owners sure look stOOpid now!!

Bob Blaylock, what is it, specifically, you disagree with in my post?

It's NOT easy to add charging stations to existing parking lots. I can't think of a single legit electrician who would do that job. The liability is astronomical.

To build a charging point in an existing parking lot would require a complete redesign of the lot itself, multiple tie ins to power poles, or even better a vault, thus the entire lot would have to be rebuilt.

It's NOT easy to add charging stations to existing parking lots. I can't think of a single legit electrician who would do that job. The liability is astronomical.

To build a charging point in an existing parking lot would require a complete redesign of the lot itself, multiple tie ins to power poles, or even better a vault, thus the entire lot would have to be rebuilt.

No it wouldn't. You could run conduit down the side, run lines to each parking spot. If you need to reach inside spots, use a horizontal directional boring machine. I've worked plenty of jobs where conduit was run under parking lots.

No it wouldn't. You could run conduit down the side, run lines to each parking spot. If you need to reach inside spots, use a horizontal directional boring machine. I've worked plenty of jobs where conduit was run under parking lots.

No, you can't. To run that amount of amperage would require a dedicated circuit. I can't remember the specifics, but you can't use a plug in system it must be hardwired. 240 volts, and based on multiple chargers at 7.5kwh minimum you would need a distribution node, hence the vault.

Obviously it has to be three phase, and the conduit underground must be at least 2 feet deep. Each charging point needs to be anchored otherwise if some nimrod backs into it you have a potential car lot full of bombs.

Like I said, it ain't easy. No city planner would approve it, you would also need to do an EIR, and the insurance premiums would be quite prohibitive.

Once again, we're at the point that if you're too damn stupid to understand, then there is no way that anyone can explain it to you that you would understand.

Kudos to westwall for his attempt, but I do not think that this pig will ever learn to sing.

Oh, so you refuse to say, specifically, what you disagree with in my post?

Fine. No, I am not an electrician. But I worked for 2 decades running cable, fiber optics and powerlines all over the eastern have of the US. And what I described above is easily done.

But yeah, stick with "you're too stupid to understand". That way you don't have to actually explain anything.

No, you can't. To run that amount of amperage would require a dedicated circuit. I can't remember the specifics, but you can't use a plug in system it must be hardwired. 240 volts, and based on multiple chargers at 7.5kwh minimum you would need a distribution node, hence the vault.

Obviously it has to be three phase, and the conduit underground must be at least 2 feet deep. Each charging point needs to be anchored otherwise if some nimrod backs into it you have a potential car lot full of bombs.

Like I said, it ain't easy. No city planner would approve it, you would also need to do an EIR, and the insurance premiums would be quite prohibitive.

A dedicated circuit would mean one conduit from the source to each charging station. Using HDD machines would mean you could be 2 feet down easily. I have been on jobs that installed insulation conduit varying in depths from 2 to 6 feet down. No trenching necessary.

Yes, solid barricade posts would have to be installed surrounding the charging stations. It would be similar to the concrete filled vertical iron pipe barricades at the end of each island at a gas station.

As for an EIR, depending on the size of the parking lot and how many charging stations would need to be installed, it could be a minor deal. If you care to look, in 2010 - 2013 a company rebuilt and expanded all the Georgia Power vaults in Savannah GA. The EIR documents and the DOT documents/permits were standard. And all the vaults were opened, expanded, and rebuilt without ever have the power cut off.

A dedicated circuit would mean one conduit from the source to each charging station. Using HDD machines would mean you could be 2 feet down easily. I have been on jobs that installed insulation conduit varying in depths from 2 to 6 feet down. No trenching necessary.

Yes, solid barricade posts would have to be installed surrounding the charging stations. It would be similar to the concrete filled vertical iron pipe barricades at the end of each island at a gas station.

As for an EIR, depending on the size of the parking lot and how many charging stations would need to be installed, it could be a minor deal. If you care to look, in 2010 - 2013 a company rebuilt and expanded all the Georgia Power vaults in Savannah GA. The EIR documents and the DOT documents/permits were standard. And all the vaults were opened, expanded, and rebuilt without ever have the power cut off.

Yes, expanding vaults isn't hard. But that's not the issue.

The unemployed typically fail to realize that persons in nearly every industry and profession, from doctors to street sweepers, often work nights.

Reality is hard to grasp for people whose only occupation is 18 hours a day of PlayStation.

LMAO!! Unemployed? Well, technically that is true. But I am retired. No Playstation in this house.

It will depend on the Peak Hours as well. But spare me the condescending attitude.

The grid is static, it cannot 'adapt'. Have you folks bothered to calculate the carbon footprint of all work that would be needed to get this even remotely viable?

They want to greatly expand electricity consumption while eliminating base load coal, nuclear and natural gas power plants. What could go wrong?

They want to greatly expand electricity consumption while eliminating base load coal, nuclear and natural gas power plants. What could go wrong?
All the while ignoring how damaging battery production is on the environment. Not to mention there is no viable alternative renewable sources. The utter lack of forethought is ridiculous.

The grid is static, it cannot 'adapt'. Have you folks bothered to calculate the carbon footprint of all work that would be needed to get this even remotely viable?
Our power grid is archaic and inefficient
Why we need to pass Biden’s infrastructure bill

Our power grid is not sufficient for our current consumption. Whether EVs are here or not, it desperately needs upgrading.

And while there may be a large carbon footprint to the upgrade process, the results will drastically lower that footprint.

Our power grid is not sufficient for our current consumption. Whether EVs are here or not, it desperately needs upgrading.

And while there may be a large carbon footprint to the upgrade process, the results will drastically lower that footprint.
That is the case in some areas, certainly not in all.

Can you point out the grid updates in either of the 'Infrastructures' bills? Otherwise it would be difficult to imagine our policy makers feel the same as you.

Can you point out the grid updates in either of the 'Infrastructures' bills? Otherwise it would be difficult to imagine our policy makers feel the same as you.

There are 3 main power grids in the US. Eastern, Western and Texas. We have seen major problems in all 3. And the potential for problems in these aging systems is only growing worse.

No, I cannot point out anything concerning the grid updates in any bills. But then, I did not mention anything about the Infrastructure bills. I simply commented on the current condition of the grids.

The legislation would fund $65 billion to rebuild the electrical grid, calling for expanding renewable energy, and invest in thousands of miles of new power lines.

Better yet, do a double. Cover the parking spaces with solar panels. Use the same supports to route conduit for the EV chargers. Then you are providing some of the power the apartment complex uses, and also making a profit off of the electricity used to charge the vehicles. Plus you can advertise how you are protecting their vehicles from weather.

Forum List

Back