EV owners sure look stOOpid now!!

Believe it or not, we have records of weather patterns from thousands of years ago

Indeed we do. Tell us of a storm of this magnitude THIS century...

California Megaflood: Lessons from a Forgotten Catastrophe​

A 43-day storm that began in December 1861 put central and southern California underwater for up to six months, and it could happen again
Today, the same regions that were submerged in 1861-62 are home to California’s fastest-growing cities. Although this flood is all but forgotten, important lessons from this catastrophe can be learned. Much of the insight can be gleaned from harrowing accounts in diary entries, letters and newspaper articles, as well as the book Up and Down California in 1860-1864, written by William Brewer, who surveyed the new state’s natural resources with state geologist Josiah Whitney.

In 1861, farmers and ranchers were praying for rain after two exceptionally dry decades. In December their prayers were answered with a vengeance, as a series of monstrous Pacific storms slammed—one after another—into the West coast of North America, from Mexico to Canada. The storms produced the most violent flooding residents had ever seen, before or since.

Solar on the roof, make your own fuel. And that thing about a windmill in the yard is not silly. There are a number of such on the market, and if you live in a windy area, it would probably supply enough for the day to day commute.

Unless you live on a very large property, with much, much more land than just what is needed for your house and a reasonable yard, you're not going to collect enough solar or wind energy to fully cover your basic needs, much less to keep a car charged.

Never said they wouldn't. However, they also plug in at work if the facilities are there.

My work place is a construction site.

I live in an apartment complex.

Where am I supposed to plug in an EV?

20211012_112705-picsay.jpg

A 43-day storm that began in December 1861 put central and southern California underwater for up to six months, and it could happen again
Today, the same regions that were submerged in 1861-62 are home to California’s fastest-growing cities. Although this flood is all but forgotten, important lessons from this catastrophe can be learned. Much of the insight can be gleaned from harrowing accounts in diary entries, letters and newspaper articles, as well as the book Up and Down California in 1860-1864, written by William Brewer, who surveyed the new state’s natural resources with state geologist Josiah Whitney.

In 1861, farmers and ranchers were praying for rain after two exceptionally dry decades. In December their prayers were answered with a vengeance, as a series of monstrous Pacific storms slammed—one after another—into the West coast of North America, from Mexico to Canada. The storms produced the most violent flooding residents had ever seen, before or since.

And?

Unless you live on a very large property, with much, much more land than just what is needed for your house and a reasonable yard, you're not going to collect enough solar or wind energy to fully cover your basic needs, much less to keep a car charged.
You have no understanding of solar

You claimed the storms we have are bigger than this one from over 100 years ago.

Put up, or shut up.

An isolated even is not a trend.

If there was a hurricane in 1900 that was well beyond a Cat. 5, it would be an isolated event.

If, for the year 1900, there were a three Cat. 3 hurricanes, a pair of Cat. 2 hurricanes, and that one monster storm, it would be a decent year.

If, in 2005 there were three Cat. 4 storms and three Cat 5 storms, it would be a much worse year for hurricanes.

Actually, Tesla does have solar powered home systems for electric vehicles. I'm sure other companies do as well, if you don't like Tesla, but there ARE options. People just don't want the RIGHT options, they just want the POPULAR ones to make them "look good"!!!
The problem with solar chargers is that in at least some places, power companies mandate solar cutoffs for when the grid fails. When there is a power failure where I live, I can't even use the power I'm generating because the mandated cutoff isolates the panels from my house so there is no chance of back feeding into the grid and energizing the power lines.

The problem with solar chargers is that in at least some places, power companies mandate solar cutoffs for when the grid fails. When there is a power failure where I live, I can't even use the power I'm generating because the mandated cutoff isolates the panels from my house so there is no chance of back feeding into the grid and energizing the power lines.

You can have a cutoff installed that will allow you to use the solar power in your home, while isolating your entire property from the grid. That way a power failure doesn't leave you in the dark and your solar doesn't endanger power linemen.

The average household uses about 1 kw an hour, or about 24 kw per day. A 20% efficient 5kw array in Oregon would produce about 15 kw per day. An 8kw array about 24 kw per day. Within this decade, I expect to see a vast improvement in the efficiency of the solar panels, and a continuing reduction in price. That will change the the economics greatly. There are small roof mounted windmills available that can add 1 kw to 10 kw a day if you live in an area with wind. In areas that are prone to blackouts, or face the possibility of a major grid outage that would stretch for months, anyone on the west coast, a system with a backup battery could be a real benefit

You claimed the storms we have are bigger than this one from over 100 years ago.

Put up, or shut up.
Still using that same old method of lying, Westwall? Kind of stupid of you as more and more people lose their homes and belongings to floods, storms, and fires. And more and more people realize what stupid liars you "Conservatives" are. The graph below is of numbers of loss events, not the cost. But were it the cost in level dollars of a given year, the graph would look the same.

1634068818521.png

Put up, or shut up.
Now here is what real scientists are saying, not internet poisers.

China the last two years.

60" in Houston in a couple of days, Hurricane Harvey.

An isolated even is not a trend.

If there was a hurricane in 1900 that was well beyond a Cat. 5, it would be an isolated event.

If, for the year 1900, there were a three Cat. 3 hurricanes, a pair of Cat. 2 hurricanes, and that one monster storm, it would be a decent year.

If, in 2005 there were three Cat. 4 storms and three Cat 5 storms, it would be a much worse year for hurricanes.

Ummm, it's not isolated. Below are four random dates I punched in. Feel free to do likewise. You will find that pretty much EVERY year there was a great storm that was more powerful than anything we have experienced in the last century. The 1600's were especially bad, knock yourself out and do some digging on your own. Look up The Great Drowning of Men. Historical FACTS prove beyond doubt that the global warming crowd is doing nothing but lying.

The 1821 Norfolk and Long Island Hurricane was one of four known tropical cyclones that have made landfall in New York City. Another, even more intense hurricane in pre-Columbian times (sometime between 1278 and 1438) left evidence that was detected in southern New Jersey by paleotempestological research.[2] The third was the 1893 New York hurricane, and the fourth was Hurricane Irene in 2011.

The first of three recorded tropical cyclones recorded in the 1821 Atlantic hurricane season, the storm that would eventually strike New York was first observed off the southeast United States coast on September 1, with winds estimated in excess of 135 mph (215 km/h). It moved ashore near Wilmington, North Carolina, and passed near Norfolk, Virginia before moving through the Delmarva Peninsula and New Jersey just inland. On September 3, the hurricane struck approximately near Jamaica Bay, which later became part of New York City, and on September 4 it was observed over New England. This was just 6 years after the destructive Great September Gale of 1815.

The Christmas Gale of 1811

Galveston hurricane of 1900​

GREAT STORM OF 18 AUGUST 1750​

Referred to in Colonial accounts as the "Great Storm of August 18, 1750", this terrible tempest, among other damage, wrecked or drove five ships of the Spanish Flota onto the North Carolina Coast.
A letter from Governor Dobbs to the Earl of Loudoun, July 10th, 1756, states, "Last summer...I found a violent storm about five years ago had carried away Beacon Island, which was near two miles long, and all the banks here in time may be liable to the like fate..." Possibly this was the storm of August 18th, 1750, or one of the September 1752 storms.

Forum List

Back