EV I might buy goes into production.

Be interesting to see the reviews of new owners.

I don't have a problem with an EV conceptually.

However I won't be buying one until the car manufacturers get their act together and design the battery packs to be modular and swappable. Watch a video about a California company that could service battery packs in about 10 minutes. The batteries were scalled in a detachable frame mounted under the car. The whole pageage could be dropped out, a new/charged one moved into place, lifted up and bolted in.

Conformal batters that cost 10's of thousands of dollars to replace isn't going to hack it.

WW

I don't have a problem with an EV conceptually.

However I won't be buying one until the car manufacturers get their act together and design the battery packs to be modular and swappable. Watch a video about a California company that could service battery packs in about 10 minutes. The batteries were scalled in a detachable frame mounted under the car. The whole pageage could be dropped out, a new/charged one moved into place, lifted up and bolted in.

Conformal batters that cost 10's of thousands of dollars to replace isn't going to hack it.

WW
This one has battery size options,,,the largest giving you more range probably than anything currently on the market

I am keeping an open mind but current tech doesn't meet my needs. I also wonder about CA and their 21M grant. The last time I heard of such a thing it involved Solyndra and that was a hole in the ground that laundered the theft of taxpayer $$$.

Oh, these are hardly "new", they have been attempting to make these for over 4 decades now.

And they will simply never work, because solar cells are nowhere near efficient enough to reasonably recharge electric vehicle batteries.

The first instance of this I am aware of was all the way back in 1984, when such a vehicle drove 2,400 miles from California to Florida. That trip was entirely by solar energy, and took over two months to accomplish.

When I worked for Hughes in the mid-1990s, their entry into one of those races sat in the lobby of the main facility. I want to say it finished the race across country entirely on solar power in 3 weeks.

So once again, an old idea rehashed by some con men to try and scam money out of people and the government. And they are doing alright for themselves, as they have secured over 500 "reservations" at over $14,000 each for these phantom cars. That do not even exist yet, they are only a concept and they do not even seem to have created a street legal prototype, just a concept.

Oh, and according to their own website, they have now taken in over $1.4 billion on over 40,000 reservations. And are now asking for $10,000+ for the first 2,000 reservations.

And it strikes me immediately how much this "innovative vehicle" is like the Elio Motors car. That was a very similar looking car designed in 2009 by a company promising something similar, but with an ICE engine and not even solar or electric powered. They have raised over $28 million in deposits, but in 14 years now have yet to deliver a single vehicle. And two years ago they amended their promised design stating it would be available in an electric version also.

Which of course like the ICE one has yet to be delivered to anybody.

Or like another where I live in Oregon, Arcimoto. Also founded in 2007, they have raised millions in pre-orders and investments, and in 15 years have yet to deliver a single vehicle even though they promised deliveries in 2012. 15 years later they are now on the verge of bankruptcy, burned through tens of millions of dollars, and actually delivered nothing.

I see nothing but yet another scam, created by scammers that are likely never going to deliver a single vehicle.

Underscored, I’m talking about battery maintenance.

WW
Some of that is offset by less overall maintenance needed,,,oil changes and in this case charging fees. I would probab;y never need to pay for fuel again or charging fees if I bought this. Perhaps warranties on minimum battery performance. Industry standardization on batteries

Oh, and as an additional FYI, this is not even the "original" Aptera.

The company was started in 2005 with the same tactic, and by 2011 was bankrupt. And this was after trying and tailing to get a $400 million loan from the Department of Energy. SO they simply recreated the company, and this time turned to "crowd funding" to try again.

Theranos, anybody?

A Hybrid is better than an EV, because you can still drive it a long distance.
In fact, Hybrids have a longer driving range than gasoline cars.
At low speeds the car runs on the battery.

Oh, these are hardly "new", they have been attempting to make these for over 4 decades now.

And they will simply never work, because solar cells are nowhere near efficient enough to reasonably recharge electric vehicle batteries.

The first instance of this I am aware of was all the way back in 1984, when such a vehicle drove 2,400 miles from California to Florida. That trip was entirely by solar energy, and took over two months to accomplish.

When I worked for Hughes in the mid-1990s, their entry into one of those races sat in the lobby of the main facility. I want to say it finished the race across country entirely on solar power in 3 weeks.

So once again, an old idea rehashed by some con men to try and scam money out of people and the government. And they are doing alright for themselves, as they have secured over 500 "reservations" at over $14,000 each for these phantom cars. That do not even exist yet, they are only a concept and they do not even seem to have created a street legal prototype, just a concept.

Oh, and according to their own website, they have now taken in over $1.4 billion on over 40,000 reservations. And are now asking for $10,000+ for the first 2,000 reservations.

And it strikes me immediately how much this "innovative vehicle" is like the Elio Motors car. That was a very similar looking car designed in 2009 by a company promising something similar, but with an ICE engine and not even solar or electric powered. They have raised over $28 million in deposits, but in 14 years now have yet to deliver a single vehicle. And two years ago they amended their promised design stating it would be available in an electric version also.

Which of course like the ICE one has yet to be delivered to anybody.

Or like another where I live in Oregon, Arcimoto. Also founded in 2007, they have raised millions in pre-orders and investments, and in 15 years have yet to deliver a single vehicle even though they promised deliveries in 2012. 15 years later they are now on the verge of bankruptcy, burned through tens of millions of dollars, and actually delivered nothing.

I see nothing but yet another scam, created by scammers that are likely never going to deliver a single vehicle.
Perhaps......dont get me wrong I'm not going to rush right out and buy one. IF they start rolling out we'll find out soon enough.

IF ya get the largest battery you can cover plenty oh ground. I wouldnt be doing that anyway. neither of us can sit that long in a car anymore unless there is no other option

Last edited:

This is true, however - and I could be wrong on this - while EV's have higher intial costs, they save money in the long run based on lower maintenance.

Hybrids get fuel economy, however they still have the ICE engine. So the maintenance savings are not as good as a full EV, maybe a little lower than a full ICE.

WW

Be interesting to see the reviews of new owners.
HAHAHAHAAAA!
It can only go a max of 40 miles on solar power only... so.. it is not really solar powered.
The company already went bankrupt once.
They have yet to deliver a product despite failing deadlines multiple times.
The cars have not underwent any safety inspections which can take several years
Top manufacturing experts say the company will fail again.
It only seats two passengers... it's weight and actual size is more like a motorcycle than a car
Aptera's business model was simple - It entirely relied on getting Government sponsorship and zero interest loans. When it couldn't get those grants/loans - the company failed.
I could go on for paragraphs.

Yet ANOTHER example of failed California politically driven public fund giveaways yet having the largest homeless populations in America.

This is true, however - and I could be wrong on this - while EV's have higher intial costs, they save money in the long run based on lower maintenance.

Hybrids get fuel economy, however they still have the ICE engine. So the maintenance savings are not as good as a full EV, maybe a little lower than a full ICE.

WW
Today someone on TV was stating if you spent 60 thousand dollars on an EV the current battery replacement is 35/40 thousand dollars. If that is the price what person is going to replace the battery on a used vehicle that will lose value as it is.

HAHAHAHAAAA!
It can only go a max of 40 miles on solar power only... so.. it is not really solar powered.
The company already went bankrupt once.
They have yet to deliver a product despite failing deadlines multiple times.
The cars have not underwent any safety inspections which can take several years
Top manufacturing experts say the company will fail again.
It only seats two passengers... it's weight and actual size is more like a motorcycle than a car
Aptera's business model was simple - It entirely relied on getting Government sponsorship and zero interest loans. When it couldn't get those grants/loans - the company failed.
I could go on for paragraphs.

Yet ANOTHER example of failed California politically driven public fund giveaways yet having the largest homeless populations in America.
Several different battery sizes....oooops. All I need is a two seater in a commuter runabout. I drive a mile to work. See the word... "might" buy........ I have no intention of buying something untested.

Several different battery sizes....oooops. All I need is a two seater in a commuter runabout. I drive a mile to work. See the word... "might" buy........ I have no intention of buying something untested.
It is beyond untested.
Didn't even successfully prototype.
By their own admission, their business model was the only way they could get to production was taking government money.
I am totally against that when several other technology options already exist.
Government grants should ONLY be given for new and promising technology/
This company fails both "promising" and new technology.
California just being California using public funds for their favored, chosen companies.

IF they start rolling out we'll find out soon enough.

Well, multiple companies have been trying this for decades. And not a single one (even by major automotive companies globally) has ever come to market. Mostly just an endless string of prototypes until they burn through all the investor money. And of course this is the second time this group has now done this.

However, multiple companies have folded after taking millions of dollars from investors. And according to records, the CEO is making almost $250k a year. And a lot of others are making salaries in excess of $100k per year.

I bet we will actually see one the second week of never. Just like every other failed star-up that has promised the same thing.

And to note - the liberal rag MSN's headline is missleading.
The money will not allow them to "start production to scale".
That is a complete lie. There have been no safety test done because they haven't even made a viable prototype to pass safety regulations yet. You can't start producing cars until you pass all street regulations and safety regulations.
A paragraph down they finally reveal - "the money will provide significant progress in delivering the high efficiency launch edition" - Progress. That is a non definitive word. Also they can't really say it is high efficiency because it hasn't been tested.

So myself, and other conservatives are against this because it is yet another liberal pet project wasting tax dollars that they don't care to give away so they can make dinner conversation about how awesome they are.

So myself, and other conservatives are against this because it is yet another liberal pet project wasting tax dollars that they don't care to give away so they can make dinner conversation about how awesome they are.

I simply see it as yet another scam designed to enrich the founders with super high paychecks until the company is drained of money. However the "green energy" crowd seems to love these Ponzi schemes that go nowhere.

I simply see it as yet another scam designed to enrich the founders with super high paychecks until the company is drained of money. However the "green energy" crowd seems to love these Ponzi schemes that go nowhere.
Not a greenie......but if it works I'll buy one

Forum List

Back