Endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights

an inalienable right

example

a right to ''think'' what you want....there is no way for others to control your own thoughts...this is self evident, this is your own right that can not be given up.

an inalienable right

example

a right to ''think'' what you want....there is no way for others to control your own thoughts...this is self evident, this is your own right that can not be given up.

That's a bad example because it's virtually impossible to restrict whereas the uh.....inalienable rights we're discussing in this document are possible to restrict and so it seems it's a different sort of "self evident," I'm assuming.

an inalienable right

example

That's a bad example because it's virtually impossible to restrict whereas the uh.....inalienable rights we're discussing in this document are possible to restrict and so it seems it's a different sort of "self evident," I'm assuming.

do a google on inalienable rights.....that's what i got out of it....

i don't totally understand it...admittingly!

Well, I guess I'd contend that that's not exactly a "right," it's just a fact of life. It's like saying having a kidney, the actual organ, is a "right," it's just impossible not to have really.

It says in the declaration of independence that all men (he would have said women to if he were alive today) are endowed by their creator certain inalienable rights

Yeah, so?

They're wrong.

Or, more like your interpretation of what they meant is goofy, take your pick.

It is obvious as the day is long that NOBODY has inalienable rights.

I can alienate YOU from every right you think you have in the blink of an eye.

It says in the declaration of independence that all men (he would have said women to if he were alive today) are endowed by their creator certain inalienable rights. I know some of you 'liberals' who read this will deny that as an historical fact but let me cut and past the exact words from the text for you.

that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights

Thomas Jefferson did not say that rights were given to us by God in this document but by their creator which could mean different things to different people. A person who believes that God created the universe believes that his creator gave him those inalienable rights. It does not matter if you think that the universe was a statistical accident because whatever was responsible for your existence also gave you those same rights. In other words, no matter what you believe was responsible for your existence it does not change the fact that that thing that was responsible for it also granted you "certain unalienable Rights" with it.

Those that say rights are God-given are just paraphrasing this concept because they believe God is their creator and that creator gave them those rights.

Now, since governments are created by people then, by the same token, it should make sense that whatever rights the government has was given to them by the people that it governs since it was the people that created it.

Bullshit.
When Jefferson wrote "their Creator" he clearly meant God. What else? They are endowed by their parents with inalienable rights?
QUOTE]

=================

not so clearly to me....

I don't believe in any god

so when he said "creator" i assume he was being vague for everyones own personal religious perceptions.

the words "god" and "america is a christian nation" are NOT in the constitution

and as every moronicon KNOWS and REPEATS DAILY....
if it aint in the constitution then it aint a right

all Americans have the right to believe in any god or NO GOD whatsoever.

Freedom in America means that we can choose/decide for ourselves.

Now ...
I KNOW you NEED TO WIN!
it drives you crazy to think that some Americans are "getting away with NOT believing in YOUR god!"

so you have to twist and spin and misinterpret the constitution in order to FORCE everyone to bow to YOUR beliefs....

seek help...

before you kill someone

It says in the declaration of independence that all men (he would have said women to if he were alive today) are endowed by their creator certain inalienable rights. I know some of you 'liberals' who read this will deny that as an historical fact but let me cut and past the exact words from the text for you.

Thomas Jefferson did not say that rights were given to us by God in this document but by their creator which could mean different things to different people. A person who believes that God created the universe believes that his creator gave him those inalienable rights. It does not matter if you think that the universe was a statistical accident because whatever was responsible for your existence also gave you those same rights. In other words, no matter what you believe was responsible for your existence it does not change the fact that that thing that was responsible for it also granted you "certain unalienable Rights" with it.

Those that say rights are God-given are just paraphrasing this concept because they believe God is their creator and that creator gave them those rights.

Now, since governments are created by people then, by the same token, it should make sense that whatever rights the government has was given to them by the people that it governs since it was the people that created it.

Bullshit.
When Jefferson wrote "their Creator" he clearly meant God. What else? They are endowed by their parents with inalienable rights?
QUOTE]

=================

not so clearly to me....

I don't believe in any god

so when he said "creator" i assume he was being vague for everyones own personal religious perceptions.

the words "god" and "america is a christian nation" are NOT in the constitution

and as every moronicon KNOWS and REPEATS DAILY....
if it aint in the constitution then it aint a right

all Americans have the right to believe in any god or NO GOD whatsoever.

Freedom in America means that we can choose/decide for ourselves.

Now ...
I KNOW you NEED TO WIN!
it drives you crazy to think that some Americans are "getting away with NOT believing in YOUR god!"

so you have to twist and spin and misinterpret the constitution in order to FORCE everyone to bow to YOUR beliefs....

seek help...

before you kill someone

Because YOU don't believe in any god doesn't mean Jefferson or his society didn't. Can you separate what Jefferson meant from what you believe? Are you that narcissistic? If so, seek help immediately.

Jefferson was just a man, ladies and Gentlemen.

No. He was a man who wrote the Declaration and whose views played a large role in the founding of the country. That doesn't mean every word he wrote was correct, but it does give insight into how at least some of the Founders thought.
They were the products of a particular time and place and educational system. And we have to read what they wrote with that awareness.

Disagree. Men deemed what were and were not unalienable rights, and so, they're alienable.

Actually they were of the opinion that these truths were self-evident. Self-evident is very different from deemed by men.

Have you never read the document?

Who determined they were self-evident again>? Remind me...........:eusa_whistle:

The signers of the Declaration of Independence believed in a Creator who bestows rights on men, therefore it would be the same Creator who also made these rights self-evident to all. No need to determine that which is already self-evident. If I tell you water is wet, we don't need to worry about someone claiming it is dry or who claims it's wet. It's water and, by definition, it is wet. That is self-evident.

The signers of the Declaration of Independence believed in a Creator who bestows rights on men, therefore it would be the same Creator who also made these rights self-evident to all. No need to determine that which is already self-evident. If I tell you water is wet, we don't need to worry about someone claiming it is dry or who claims it's wet. It's water and, by definition, it is wet. That is self-evident.

What they believed in is irrelevant to whether or not they're correct, and in my opinion, it's pretty self evident that there's no *proof* of any creator, thus there's nothing "self evident" about our rights coming from said "creator."

Jefferson was just a man, ladies and Gentlemen.

No. He was a man who wrote the Declaration and whose views played a large role in the founding of the country. That doesn't mean every word he wrote was correct, but it does give insight into how at least some of the Founders thought.
They were the products of a particular time and place and educational system. And we have to read what they wrote with that awareness.

He's just a man.

Yes, we all know that it's in the Declaration of Independence.

But it's rhetoric.

What defines a right?

Classic symptom of mental libtardation. When stuck for an intelligent response, argue reality is just a concept.

By this do you mean that you don't understand what I said, so you're going to attempt to make fun of me for it?

That's what it looks like to me.

Next, accuse others of what you are actually doing to deflect attention from your activities and minimize scrutiny.

The real question is what defines a definition?

See how stupid that sounds?

What they believed in is irrelevant to whether or not they're correct, and in my opinion, it's pretty self evident that there's no *proof* of any creator, thus there's nothing "self evident" about our rights coming from said "creator."

And of course you have the right to your own opinion. Whatever your opinion is is irrelevant to whether or not the right exists and from whom it is granted.

And of course you have the right to your own opinion. Whatever your opinion is is irrelevant to whether or not the right exists and from whom it is granted.

It's also no less of an opinion than anyone else's on the matter, either, it's just a right place right time sort of thing I guess.

It's also no less of an opinion than anyone else's on the matter, either, it's just a right place right time sort of thing I guess.

So one opinion is pretty much as good as any other opinion? Is that what you are saying?

So one opinion is pretty much as good as any other opinion? Is that what you are saying?

In my opinion

not all opinions are equal

yours, for example, are pretty much worthless...

glenn becks opinions are crap

bill oreilly, ann coulter, rush limbaugh...

their opinions are all crap

In my opinion

not all opinions are equal

yours, for example, are pretty much worthless...

glenn becks opinions are crap

bill oreilly, ann coulter, rush limbaugh...

their opinions are all crap

What determines whether an opinion is worthless or crap?

Forum List

Back