Ending Our Incarceration Nation

TruthOut10

Dec 3, 2012
Dylan's Weekly Notes for April 12th, 2013. Sign up for weekly notes here.

Friends,

In life there are some clear paths that we can walk down today to reach a better place, while others are less clear, dangerous even, yet no less important for us to travel.

When it comes to creating jobs for veterans, it's clear we can act now to feed people using the modern technology of hydroponic, organic farming. As you know, an increasingly large group of us are acting to do just that by taking Archi's Acres to the national level.

Other problems are more intractable, seemingly insurmountable. Beyond jobs, food and our vets, few things keep me up more than the disastrous functionality of our prison system.

It is, after all, no secret that the U.S. houses 25 percent of the world's inmates, while representing a mere 5 percent of the world's population.

In my opinion, this is a direct byproduct of "fear politiks" practiced by both parties -- holding power by way of first scaring the broad population and then offering superficial relief by assault on some minority, or "other" population. Too often, that population is "young black men."

In fact, as I have reported in the past:

Since 1971, there have been more than 40 million arrests for drug-related offenses. Even though blacks and whites have similar levels of drug use, blacks are ten times as likely to be incarcerated for drug crimes.
"There are more blacks under correctional control today -- in prison or jail, on probation or parole -- than were enslaved in 1850, a decade before the Civil War began."

In 2005, 4 out of 5 drug arrests were for possession not trafficking, and 80 percent of the increase in drug arrests in the 1990s was for marijuana.

The development of for-profit prison companies and their vast lobbying and political apparatus doesn't help.

Prisoners now manufacture and assemble products for Microsoft, Starbucks, Victoria's Secret, Boeing, as well as body armor for soldiers and handcuff cases for law enforcement officers.

In 2007, taxpayers spent 74 billion on prisons, with the largest percentage increase of prisoners going to for-profit prison companies.

Putting people in jail and keeping them there is good for business. So, of course, that's what for-profit prison companies lobby do. According to the Justice Policy Institute, these companies "have contributed $835,514 to federal candidates and over $6 million to state politicians."

Dylan Ratigan: Ending Our Incarceration Nation

If you want to stay out of jail, then don't break the Law... It's that simple.

I wonder what thread this asshole would start when violent crime shot through the roof?

If you want to stay out of jail, then don't break the Law... It's that simple.

Bull-fucking-shit.

You're talking to someone who was wrongly convicted of a crime. The for-profit prison system will go to any lengths to keep its cells full. No matter what. Incarcerating people is big business, innocence be damned.

First of all, we need to end the war on drugs. It didn't work and all it did was fill our prisons with people we need to support

Second, we need to reduce the number of non-violent offenders in prison. Other nations have done it without a surge in their crime rates

Its not that I am soft on crime but I am cheap. I do not want to spend my tax dollars paying to keep these people locked up while I slash education, public works and other funding

Jury Nullification is the answer.
Americans think they have only one vote, when in fact they have three:
1. Elections
2. Grand Jury
3. Jury Trial

Your job in a Jury Trial is to not only judge whether the Defendant broke the Law, but if the Law is Just.

If the Jury feels the Law is Unjust, then they can find the Defendant Innocent even if all evidence shows him to be Guilty.

But try explaining that to most ANY American, they won't believe you.

The incarceration rate will never decrease since it is based on profits and keeping those that work in the system employed. There is no such thing as "justice" in the justice system. It is no longer based on a moral code of behavior.

Forum List

Back