Elon Musk has made a serious mistake

I don't understand a lot of the technical stuff, but it's becoming clear that firing all these engineers was a monumental mistake, which may sink Twitter, Tesla, and his wealth.

Gergely Orosz Profile picture

Gergely Orosz

Twitter logo
4h • 13 tweets • 3 min read
Bookmark Save as PDF My Authors
What I'm hearing from inside Twitter:

Several people who were let go on Friday, then asked to come back were given less than an hour as a deadline.

Software engineers who got this call I know of all said "no" and the only ones who could eventually say "yes" are on visas.

Also:
Many people got a phone call with this "offer", and a short deadline. Lots of people stopped answering unknown numbers to avoid this.

Inside Twitter, managers I hear are getting desperate, trying to call back more people. People are saying "no" + more sr engineers are quitting.

None of this is surprising. As a rule of thumb, after you lay off X% of people, you get an additional half attrition. Lay off 10%: expect another 5% to quit. Lay off 50%... not unreasonable to expect another 25% to quit.

Calling back people you just fired rarely works.
Why it's a problem that senior people are quitting and people don't want to come back:

Twitter has a complex architecture *for a reason.* And it needs some level of institutional knowledge to maintain.

This institutional knowledge both got fired + is walking out the door.

In practical terms: software engineers who are with the company are now put on oncall rotations for systems they have no idea about. I mean, they can figure it out... easiest to talk with someone who knows these.

The problem is when there's no such person left.

Talking with engineers, some things people don't realize about Twitter:

- On prem data centers
- Lots of infra-level advanced stuff. Eg multi-level infra feature flags
- Advanced infra-level incremental rollouts to avoid outages that were caused by infra changes in the past
Unless the institutional knowledge is somehow retained, in days/weeks/months, we should, sadly, expect to see a lot more outages.

The straightforward option to reduce damage is:
1. Retain experienced folks, at least mid-term
2. Hire and onboard new people with these seniors

I know that on Twitter it's fashionable to mock how "slow" Twitter was to ship.

But the more I learn about the internal systems, and why it was built in a way, the more impressed I am. Eg Twitter onboarding to k8s was extremely challenging (+brilliant) thanks to legacy infra.

Twitter has no nuance to discuss Twitter tradeoffs. But as I understand, there were many: some workaround of legacy decisions, some deliberate.

This doesn't change that Twitter is a complex system, and it's complex for good reasons. I really hope enough people stay who know why.

Also, thank you to both people who built these systems Twitter runs on, and especially those staying and maintaining them.

Keeping Twitter running became far more challenging overnight for no fault of ppl doing all this difficult work.

Thanks for keeping the lights on and more!

One thing that continues to bug me:

Elon Musk is an experienced operator and no stranger to layoffs (and their impact). He has a team of advisors from the VC world.

Surely they expected all this to happen. So, why did they do it? Or is this the plan?

Unroll available on Thread Reader

A timely comic from a former Twitter software engineer - several people told me he was one of the most productive web engineers -, who was also Twitter's unofficial Chief Cartoonist.

So a bit more of an insider view:

Worth linking how the author of the above comic got fired at Twitter.

He was working on a high-priority project at 9pm on Tuesday (after Elon bought Twitter). Disconnected and fired mid-work-meeting. No justification as to why.

Now he's suing Twitter.

Elon is doing exactly the right thing. He figured out long before he made the offer. Those of your level on intelligence and business acumen cannot grasp what your superiors find obvious.
That is why he is the world's ruchest man and you're synthia.

When you have as much "Fuck You" money as he has he can do anything he wants.

If he was to lose every cent of the money he spent on Twitter he still would be one of the richest men in the world.

Good.

Fuck Woke-loving social media anyway.
Social media has been instrumental in the devolution of America.

Elon is doing exactly the right thing. He figured out long before he made the offer. Those of your level on intelligence and business acumen cannot grasp what your superiors find obvious.
That is why he is the world's ruchest man and you're synthia.
So what's so obvious? Can't spell it out? Lemme guess, genius> Being a genuine person, Elon will counter sue Lily for false advertising for even more than they can get from him because they're just a "legal person"! That must be it.:rolleyes:
Good.

Fuck Woke-loving social media anyway.
Indeed.

But how are you stupid Moon Bats ever going to "save the planet"?
I challenge Flash to give his honest answer.

1). Has the advancement of technology, most notably in that last 200 years, played ANY role in the future destruction of our planet, World Wide or Not...........even though it might be 100's years (if not more) away.

Give an Honest answer Flash.

Just ONE 1) Question at a time.

That is why he is the world's ruchest man

Sam Bankman-Fried was a multibillionaire a week ago.

Just sayin'

I challenge Flash to give his honest answer.

1). Has the advancement of technology, most notably in that last 200 years, played ANY role in the future destruction of our planet, World Wide or Not...........even though it might be 100's years (if not more) away.

Give an Honest answer Flash.

Just ONE 1) Question at a time.
You being alive contributes to the destruction of the planet. You and the eight billion other humans that demand a certain standard of living.

If you want to save the planet then off yourself and talk a few billion other humans into doing the same thing.

Put your money where your mouth is.

You are quite the Fuck-Stain

Acknowledged.
Fuck OFF old angry White Guy.

You are AN OLD ANGRY WHITE GUY. RIGHT?
You use earth's resources well beyond your basic need. You are destroying the earth. Buying an EV instead of an ICE isn't going to change much. You are just too chickenshit to admit it. Typical for a Moon Bat.

You use earth's resources well beyond your basic need. You are destroying the earth. Buying an EV instead of an ICE
ICE ? Explain.

I recognize that the last 200 years have led to tech advancement.
Can you agree to that ^^^^

ICE ? Explain.

I recognize that the last 200 years have led to tech advancement.
Can you agree to that ^^^^
There are a billion Chinese and almost a billion Indians that are polluting the hell out of the earth to get to the same level of comfort that you live.

Do your part to save Mother Earth. Do away with all the technology that you use everyday. All of it. Do not buy anything that requires modern polluting technology to get it to you, including the computer you are posting on.

Put your money where your mouth is. Do it Moon Bat and quit your bitching.

There are a billion Chinese and almost a billion Indians that are polluting the hell out of the earth to get to the same level of comfort that you live.

Do your part to save Mother Earth. Do away with all the technology that you use everyday. All of it. Do not buy anything that requires modern polluting technology to get it to you, including the computer you are posting on.

Put your money where your mouth is. Do it Moon Bat and quit your bitching.
I agree Moon Bat.
So you agree that this "earth polluting" is caused by man, even if it is Foreign?

Fucking turn back the TV to Guttfeld and Watters to HEAR what you are TOLD>

I don't understand a lot of the technical stuff, but it's becoming clear that firing all these engineers was a monumental mistake, which may sink Twitter, Tesla, and his wealth.

Gergely Orosz Profile picture

Gergely Orosz

Twitter logo
4h • 13 tweets • 3 min read
Bookmark Save as PDF My Authors
What I'm hearing from inside Twitter:

Several people who were let go on Friday, then asked to come back were given less than an hour as a deadline.

Software engineers who got this call I know of all said "no" and the only ones who could eventually say "yes" are on visas.

Also:
Many people got a phone call with this "offer", and a short deadline. Lots of people stopped answering unknown numbers to avoid this.

Inside Twitter, managers I hear are getting desperate, trying to call back more people. People are saying "no" + more sr engineers are quitting.

None of this is surprising. As a rule of thumb, after you lay off X% of people, you get an additional half attrition. Lay off 10%: expect another 5% to quit. Lay off 50%... not unreasonable to expect another 25% to quit.

Why it's a problem that senior people are quitting and people don't want to come back:

Twitter has a complex architecture *for a reason.* And it needs some level of institutional knowledge to maintain.

This institutional knowledge both got fired + is walking out the door.

In practical terms: software engineers who are with the company are now put on oncall rotations for systems they have no idea about. I mean, they can figure it out... easiest to talk with someone who knows these.

The problem is when there's no such person left.

Talking with engineers, some things people don't realize about Twitter:

- On prem data centers
- Lots of infra-level advanced stuff. Eg multi-level infra feature flags
- Advanced infra-level incremental rollouts to avoid outages that were caused by infra changes in the past
Unless the institutional knowledge is somehow retained, in days/weeks/months, we should, sadly, expect to see a lot more outages.

The straightforward option to reduce damage is:
1. Retain experienced folks, at least mid-term
2. Hire and onboard new people with these seniors

I know that on Twitter it's fashionable to mock how "slow" Twitter was to ship.

But the more I learn about the internal systems, and why it was built in a way, the more impressed I am. Eg Twitter onboarding to k8s was extremely challenging (+brilliant) thanks to legacy infra.

Twitter has no nuance to discuss Twitter tradeoffs. But as I understand, there were many: some workaround of legacy decisions, some deliberate.

This doesn't change that Twitter is a complex system, and it's complex for good reasons. I really hope enough people stay who know why.

Also, thank you to both people who built these systems Twitter runs on, and especially those staying and maintaining them.

Keeping Twitter running became far more challenging overnight for no fault of ppl doing all this difficult work.

Thanks for keeping the lights on and more!

One thing that continues to bug me:

Elon Musk is an experienced operator and no stranger to layoffs (and their impact). He has a team of advisors from the VC world.

Surely they expected all this to happen. So, why did they do it? Or is this the plan?

Unroll available on Thread Reader

A timely comic from a former Twitter software engineer - several people told me he was one of the most productive web engineers -, who was also Twitter's unofficial Chief Cartoonist.

So a bit more of an insider view:

He was working on a high-priority project at 9pm on Tuesday (after Elon bought Twitter). Disconnected and fired mid-work-meeting. No justification as to why.

Now he's suing Twitter.

Racist !
All because he's am African American....one of less than a mini van full

It's become apparent that Elon Musk is a fraud. He owes his billions to Barack Hussein Obama and Joseph Robinette Biden. That's a fact, jack. And now he's taking down Twitter and Tesla. I hope Space X and The Boring Company aren't next. But if he crashes Tesla he may have to relinquish control over them.

After taking over Tesla, the government should divide it up into solar panel, lithium battery, and EV manufacturing coops. Sell off the marketing and distribution to warehousing operations or possibly make those coops as well. None too big. No one getting insanely rich, all just much happier in general.

Darn tootin'. I always quit my good-paying job too and starve my family at a time when the whole industry is seeing attrition and finding work could be tough because other people were laid off! That'll teach 'em'. :smoke:

Especially if they just didn't really want or need the job!

software engineers who are with the company are now put on oncall rotations for systems they have no idea about. I mean, they can figure it out...
Good. That is what engineers are usually expected to do.

He probably told a bad joke about Biden. :smoke:

Disconnected and fired mid-work-meeting. No justification as to why.
No justification needed.

Now he's suing Twitter.
Great! I bet that really makes Elon laugh! :happy-1:

Forum List

Back