Electric Cars Great....Indoors

Current battery tech has been working okay for normal commuting. The wife didn't use any gasoline from July to December in her plug in hybrid, and it only has 20 miles of range. The old Volt was nice, but wasn't as good as making the transition to pure highway traveler. The parallel system in the Ford does it better.

true

out here though one can easily put on a hundred miles or more in a day

EV mass produced battery tech in America, with 40 miles of range is good enough for about 75% of American commuting mileage. Of critical importance seeing as how we are the most wasteful crude consumers in the world, so replacing every one of our ICE powered machines is of greater value than just about any other citizen doing it. But with the Bolt able to hit 200+ miles on a charge, the problem from my perspective is mostly I don't like the idea of installing a 220V charger. I'm happy using normal household current, because the wife doesn't even need the 20 miles in range she has available most of the time. Suburbia having its advantages of everything being relatively close together.

what i would really like to see is an electric vehicle that produces its own electricity no plugging in

100 percent electric not like a diesel electric train but rather perhaps a hydrogen fuel cell

honda is doing it think

Current battery tech has been working okay for normal commuting. The wife didn't use any gasoline from July to December in her plug in hybrid, and it only has 20 miles of range. The old Volt was nice, but wasn't as good as making the transition to pure highway traveler. The parallel system in the Ford does it better.

true

EV mass produced battery tech in America, with 40 miles of range is good enough for about 75% of American commuting mileage. Of critical importance seeing as how we are the most wasteful crude consumers in the world, so replacing every one of our ICE powered machines is of greater value than just about any other citizen doing it. But with the Bolt able to hit 200+ miles on a charge, the problem from my perspective is mostly I don't like the idea of installing a 220V charger. I'm happy using normal household current, because the wife doesn't even need the 20 miles in range she has available most of the time. Suburbia having its advantages of everything being relatively close together.
You mean you don't enjoy you gasoline internal combustion engine that runs on 25% efficiency...??

true

Well, if you have a dryer, you already have one 220 outlet, and if your stove is electric, two. No big deal to install another.

The golf course sure is buzy with them thar electric horseless carriages...

Never had the wife's on a golf course. Had it to the top of Mt Washington though. Plus the advantage of free fuel to and from work? Haven't seen too many employers willing to provide that to employees!

Well, if you have a dryer, you already have one 220 outlet, and if your stove is electric, two. No big deal to install another.

I've got 220 service in the house, but to get the garage wired as well is about a $500 job, including the permitting. Just haven't had the urge, and don't really need it until the wife decides she wants to go full EV.

I've got 220 service in the house, but to get the garage wired as well is about a $500 job, including the permitting. Just haven't had the urge, and don't really need it until the wife decides she wants to go full EV.

i have 220 on both garages and the shop

never know when you need the extra juice

my air compressor is 220

the welder too

plus the heating and a/c units

my air compressor is 220

the welder too

My air compressor is 110, and the heating, A/C and laundry all sit on the opposite side of the house, so I need everything installed to get 220 to the garage. Like I said though, it will just be part of the cost involved if the wife demands a full on EV rather than the pluggable hybrid, which is working out quite well, a foot in both worlds as it were. EV for months at a time, and then off on a cross country trip guzzling the liquid fuels like everyone else.

true

If and only if...

There is room for it in the breaker box.
The main feed into the house will support it. (My old house would NOT.)
You have a convenient place to park and plug in the car.

true

If and only if...

There is room for it in the breaker box.
The main feed into the house will support it. (My old house would NOT.)
You have a convenient place to park and plug in the car.

depends on what amp rating your service has really

my air compressor is 220

the welder too

My air compressor is 110, and the heating, A/C and laundry all sit on the opposite side of the house, so I need everything installed to get 220 to the garage. Like I said though, it will just be part of the cost involved if the wife demands a full on EV rather than the pluggable hybrid, which is working out quite well, a foot in both worlds as it were. EV for months at a time, and then off on a cross country trip guzzling the liquid fuels like everyone else.
do it yourself it's not that complicated

Never had the wife's on a golf course. Had it to the top of Mt Washington though. Plus the advantage of free fuel to and from work? Haven't seen too many employers willing to provide that to employees!
if you pay for the electricity then it's not free

s

my air compressor is 220

the welder too

do it yourself it's not that complicated
it isnt that difficult

if i remember correctly the 220 kit for the volt was causing fires

maybe they have corrected that by this point

By the way, the newest model Leaf uses a heat pump to heat the cabin. That's about three times more efficient than resistance heating, so it mostly solves the problem of cabin heating being a big battery drain. Other EVs will follow, if they haven't already.

I don't pay for it. The wife doesn't pay for it. So for my family...it is free!! You don't need to be envious, go get an EV of one sort or another, find a progressively minded employer, and get free fuel like we do!

By the way, the newest model Leaf uses a heat pump to heat the cabin. That's about three times more efficient than resistance heating, so it mostly solves the problem of cabin heating being a big battery drain. Other EVs will follow, if they haven't already.

Late to the game! The wife's car is a 2014, and it has a "TO GO" time that allows you to tell the car to prepare the cabin temperature for a particular time, while it is still tethered to the house current. During the first fall day when he discovered this feature, she opened the car door and said.."its warm!". Turns out, you put in the time you want TO GO, tell the car the temperature, and the car pulls the current from the house. You can also do the same things other car owners can do, for example the wife can lock and unlock the car doors remotely...like from the other side of the country...and turn it on as well. Because it carries an onboard modem, you always know where it is, and can change all the settings on it remotely.

I don't pay for it. The wife doesn't pay for it. So for my family...it is free!! You don't need to be envious, go get an EV of one sort or another, find a progressively minded employer, and get free fuel like we do!

No thanks and I don't work for anyone people work for me.
But hey you can sit in your little electric car in traffic to and from work everyday just don't fool yourself into thinking that people are envious of you

Unfortunately, heat pumps don't work well in extreme cold.

So...are you a progressive employer that provides free fuel for your employees cars?

Skull Pilot said:
But hey you can sit in your little electric car in traffic to and from work everyday just don't fool yourself into thinking that people are envious of you

Her car isn't little. Its a mid sized family sedan, a Ford Fusion. And she didn't get it for people to be envious of her, that characterization probably applies more to her Mustang convertible. She drives the Fusion because its comfortable, safe, quiet, she never puts gasoline in it, and she works for a progressive employer who really cares about the world we live in, and provides free fuel for their forward thinking employees.

How much free fuel do you pass out to your employees?

So...are you a progressive employer that provides free fuel for your employees cars?

Skull Pilot said:

Her car isn't little. Its a mid sized family sedan, a Ford Fusion. And she didn't get it for people to be envious of her, that characterization probably applies more to her Mustang convertible. She drives the Fusion because its comfortable, safe, quiet, she never puts gasoline in it, and she works for a progressive employer who really cares about the world we live in, and provides free fuel for their forward thinking employees.

How much free fuel do you pass out to your employees?

None most of me employees lives less than 10 miles away and none are stupid enough to buy electric cars

Forum List

Back