Education for Sale: The Broad Way Towards Bankruptcy

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Despite the fact that the Los Angeles Times receives funding for their education coverage from the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation, their reporters were still able to publish a leaked copy of the foundation’s “Great Public Schools Now” plan to “place half of the students in the Los Angeles Unified School District into charter schools over the next eight years.” While the LAUSD is already “the largest district charter school authorizer in the nation, with about 250 independent and affiliated charter schools serving over 130,000 students”, this initiative would “accelerate charter schools’ existing growth plans by providing financial capital and addressing three major growth barriers: facilities, talent and the political climate.” Ultimately, the foundation hoped that their plans “would serve as a model for all large cities to follow.”

Even before the implementation of Broad’s plan, the District was said to be in a dire financial condition with some estimates that “a $333 million budget deficit looms in the 2017-2018 school year and the shortfall is predicted to balloon to $600 million two years later.” One reason for these shortfalls is the significant lost revenue as a result of declining enrollment, about half of which can be “attributed to the growth in charter enrollment”. In “the past six years, the District has lost almost 100,000 students” and “this trend is likely to continue if not accelerate in light of a recently released charter expansion plan.” Robert Ross, President of the California Endowment, has expressed concern “that opening large numbers of new charters “actually leaves children who don’t have access to those charter schools with a lower quality of education than they had before.”
http://thewire.k12newsnetwork.com/2016/08/01/education-for-sale-the-broad-way-towards-bankruptcy/

This is the first part of a paper. It's an interesting read if you have the time.

Since this is the OP's 3rd or 4th thread on this subject this evening, I am smelling a member of a public teacher's union has invaded our clubhouse

Since this is the OP's 3rd or 4th thread on this subject this evening, I am smelling a member of a public teacher's union has invaded our clubhouse

It's the third thread. Don't worry your pretty head.

2015 good enoughf for you? Seems to be a trend...

Charter Schools Performing Above State Average on New Common Core Aligned Tests :: California Charter Schools Association

http://www.scpr.org/blogs/education...los-angeles-charter-schools-outperform-tradi/

Los Angeles Charter Schools Outperform LAUSD :: California Charter Schools Association
This is why. Because it is more successful than the public schools. The teachers union is worried.

Why would anyone worry about crap you pulled that allegedly says something.............from 2011.

It's the third thread. Don't worry your pretty head.

Do you do this for free, or do you get paid per link click?

You sound like someone heavily invested........knowwhatImean?

I want for every student to do well academically. Making excuses for their failure is your job, not mine. Public education is underperforming. Schools are a failure. 2+2=4 is the same at an inner city Chigago school, Phillips Exeter, public schools, charter schools, magnet schools, American schools and Chinese Schools. If one wants at-risk students to do well, they need to challenge them not pacify their feelings. Blacks have sucked in school since my parents were in school and probably even before. It isn't because of racism. It is because of lowered expectations.

Won't accomplish crap. More charter schools won't change a thing.

If you really want kids to thrive in learning, end the disastrous state/Federal running of public education and let competition introduce consequence for failure and real motivation to exceed the expectations of families. You want to tax at the state level to help the poor pay for education, fine, but I suggest the government has done a piss poor job (expensive, bad results) and they've had total control for a very long time, from what's in the text books to how many tater tots are served at lunch. it's time to remove the handcuffs from the market for education and let that market thrive. Happy customers are a good thing.

Statist/collectivist/Progressives heads exploding in 3...2...

We've had this argument many times. I've heard all the objections, considered and rejected them. One simple reason: I value results over intentions. The results of the central planner wannabes suck.

Forum List

Back