Ebola outbreak

More and more though I'm getting sick of this attitude by my fellow Americans that we are the saviors of the world, and we must act.
Again, I'm well aware these two individuals are Americans. It wouldn't matter though, and that's the point. If there's a disaster, we must act, if there's oppressed individuals, we must be the rescuers and bring them here. If there'a tyrant, we must destroy him/her.
Let another country take the lead for a change. Quit encouraging this idea that America is Superman.

Look, dumb fuck, this is about people in this nation. Ebola is a dangerous virus. The more we can learn about it, the sooner that we can develop vaccines for it, and anything it might mutate into. At present, it is not that contagious, but it could become so in the future. If we let frightened individuals like you dictate our policies, should it mutate, we will have no defense.
We don't need to allow deadly diseases into our country so we can "study" them. That's stupid.

I agree. We don't need third world diseases to get footholds in the u.s.
Close the borders immediately and ban anyone who travels from a hot zone....that's why it's so comical that whatshername said Ebola wasn't very contagious...Some people will just say ANYTHING to get attention..

LMAO....

3. when Louisiana had their big Katrina crisis, and thousands of people had to be flown out
quickly to start receiving care and treatment, there was no govt protocol to handle such a disaster.

We can get the 82nd Airborne or the 101st halfway around the world overnight if we want to invade another country...Don't tell me the u.s. gvmt couldn't figure out how to get food, water and healthcare to citizens in their own country for over 5 days.

80% of new orleans was under water for over 2 weeks...the largest man made disaster in american history...(due to corps of engineer levee failures).

We have entire DIVISIONS of seabees and engineers in the service..Don't tell me we can't apply their skills when a situation like katrina occurs...I'll bet if it was washington DC they would have figured it out...

There was a severe healthcare crisis in the city/area for months afterward...We have huge hospital ships that could have been sailed up the river and docked at the port.

Independent church, nonprofits and businesses pulled together in different
cities like Houston to take in evacuees, and had to just do what needed to be done to act quickly,
and work out the costs later.

Yes.

It looks like the real heroes in this case are also the people
and organizations that just take on that responsibility to do what they can.

...and we pay taxes for what reasons, again?

We should learn a lot about govt and health care systems,
and what we take for granted by looking into the political history of
Liberia and these other countries across Africa, to understand how good we have it.

Whatever. We built this nation out of nothing in a few hundred years...africa has been there for thousands...We don't need to study them...They should be studying us...they still practice slavery and burn witches in africa..I don't think there's much we could learn from them.

You don't know how much difference it makes
until you see what goes wrong when you don't have the resources and leadership in place!

I know all about not having "resources" or "effective leadership in place"...or electricity..or food..or water...or stores...or gasoline...

In fact, I get to practice for a couple of weeks almost every year.
I've lived through every hurricane that hit n.o. since betsy... Most of us know how to survive down here. Believe that.

May all the brave heroes fighting this battle receive
all the help and support they need to succeed,
cap the losses and keep the damage to the very minimum.

God bless all people who are grieving and suffering in conflict right now,
that we may learn how to better use our resources more wisely
and benefit from the examples and experience of others
to solve these problems effectively and make the world run more sustainably.

Peace and thanks to all ~

Yeah..that's nice...

Hi Rotagilla: I totally AGREE we SHOULD be able to implement resources and solutions quickly
instead of only being driven by who can get the most political points for which media hype or spin can be applied.

Maybe as we get more united than divided, we will see better govt management as a result.
===============================
I was reading COMMENTS on this article where the man who traveled from Liberia to Nigeria
led to 20 cases, 8 being fatal including his own and a prominent Doctor and other Nurses and professionals:
EXCLUSIVE How Liberian Govt Cleared Patrick Sawyer to Travel to Nigeria while under observation for Ebola Premium Times Nigeria

They are going through the same thing:
people are YELLING about the incompetent leadership of their President
the same way people here are yelling about Obama and our govt.

And other posters are saying: hey let's unite and get past this crisis first.
We can have this debate later, but not now, while lives are at stake.

People are blaming the Liberian and Nigerian govt for their politics, too,
Grieving for the loss of the doctor and staff and blaming that man for lying.

So we still have it good compared to what these people in Africa are
facing, living in fear, but having to pull together if they are going to survive this crisis
where the risk of outbreaks will continue through next year. Can you imagine
living in that political mess with this added medical crisis adding to the pressures?

Let us pray for all Africans to unite and be healed first and foremost, and fix these problems later through that unified strength. There have long been tribal divisions and uncivil wars and genocides, but there are also brave noble people, not just leaders but everyday heroes
struggle against the odds to win the battles they can. They need and deserve
all the support they can to pull together and pull out of this successfully.

Very inspiring to see them going through the same struggles
yet trying to encourage each other to lay off the negative politics and pull together.

We are not so different after all, are we. Are we not going through the same thing
but in our case we have the luxury of NOT having this scary risk hanging over our heads
as they are in the very countries with porous border traffic and imperfect security,
govt and health care problems even worse than what we complain about here.

If they can keep the virus contained and from breaking out again,
then anyone can. I think they deserve that support. We can learn a lot more from this than I thought.
===================

Ebola Second doctor infected by Patrick Sawyer survives tells full story - DailyPost Nigeria

^ this story made me cry. I will have to go back and finish it later, did not get through the whole thing without crying. story from the second doctor infected in Nigeria who survived the ordeal ^

Africa is a third world continent for good reasons.

Our standards should be higher than Liberia or Nigeria but, as you point out, they aren't.
That is failure of gvmt.

Close the border. That should have been done years ago.
Ban travel from hot zones. That should have been done days ago.

Now we may get to find out how deadly Ebola is in a first world country if it gets loose.
...but luckily for us, the gvmt has everything under control...:rolleyes:

Hi Rotagilla
I already donate 50.00 to Doctors Without Borders when their head spokesperson first sounded the alarm
the situation was getting out of hand and needed emergency help from all nations.

Searching online, I found links to a lot of localized nonprofits that were already
working and well established in Liberia, and now part of the outreach to cap the epidemic.

This nonprofit struck me personally where the younger board of founders focus on girls
in order to break the cycle of poverty and abuse through education:
More Than Me About Us
One Thing New - Katie Meyler One Person Making a Difference

So I donated another 25.00 there.

The first time, after I donated 50, that was before the Gates Foundation pledged 50 million.

Now let's see what happens:
what if each person helped promote ONE of these tiny nonprofits
that helps serve part of the population, could the problems be
addressed by delegating the resources to closeknit groups
within the region that have better relations and chances of stabilizing the spread.

Team said:
Hi, ...
we’re a collection of staff from local and international aid organizations working to stop the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, which according to yesterday's WHO situation report has resulted in 7,157 people being infected with the virus and 3,330 deaths in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. [Team has posted on the source site to answer questions]

Here’s who we all are:

For information on the current status of the Ebola outbreak, visit the WHO's Global Alert and Response page.

Last edited:
We don't need to allow deadly diseases into our country so we can "study" them. That's stupid.

No, but we sure are studying why the protective measures failed
as a big FU warning so we don't allow bigger holes in public safety and security.

Consider this like an innocuous exposure to what could have been worse.

One of the deputy's who was exposed without protection to Duncan's apt
checked in the minute he felt ill at all, to make sure there is no risk, or
if anyone gets sick, they catch it immediately. If any of the people around
Duncan tests positive, that means they should contain all the contacts and quit waiting for them to show signs.

It is dangerous to assume that since "older strains in the past" were only spread by fluids
that there is "no way" to catch it from airborne exposure or outside the incubation period.

Better to err on the side of precaution.

If Nigeria could contain a much worse exposure (where their
Patient Zero was already SEVERELY ill and HIGHLY contagious)
and they capped the spread after 20 cases including 8 deaths,
then we'll see if the U.S. can limit this to 1 death and treat the others by early detection if any.

This is more a test of people taking this seriously
and getting focused -- what would happen if this were worse.
If we lost 4 days between 09/24 and 09/28 that meant this guy dying from more advanced stages,
then that already tells us we need to get in gear and not take anything for granted.

Just a few days delay could have meant a difference if this guy could have made
it through or it went too far and destroyed his organs beyond recovery.

Especially if the response team doesn't pass this test, we need to learn and amp it up.
if any more cases leak out from this one, then of course people will start taking it seriously
and quit taking it for granted as if this isn't easily contagious.

We have a possible global pandemic on our hands, and so many here can only express their bigotry and partisan political views. Kudus to those like Emilyhghiem. All the nations need to work together on this. For it is truly a threat to all.

It's stupidity that will surely get people killed by ebola. Deputy in Dallas is now in the hospital.

Grab this. My head was spinning faster than Linda Blair's in the Exorcist when I caught this at the Daily Mail.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgh!!!

They sent the Deputy to Duncan's apartment to serve the quarantine papers WITHOUT protective clothing.

AND as if that's not bad freaking enough he wasn't being monitored. Here's the link. It is idiocy like this that makes me want to run around the house smashing shit up.

Unreal.

BREAKING: Texas sheriff's deputy rushed to hospital with Ebola symptoms after attending apartment of 'patient zero' who died today
  • Dallas County Sheriff Deputy Michael Monning went to an urgent care clinic in Frisco, Texas with his wife on Wednesday

• A witness at the clinic described him as 'hunched over and flushed'
The deputy was inside the apartment where Ebola patient Thomas Duncan fell ill - the officer wasn't wearing protective clothing

• The CDC said the person is not one of the 48 contacts being monitored

• The CareNow clinic was placed in lock-down
Second man rushed to hospital with Ebola symptoms after contact with patient zero Thomas Duncan Daily Mail Online

1412801561447_wps_65_DALLAS_TX_OCTOBER_08_A_po.jpg

Why wouldn't there be just one intelligent person out there who went "Hey guys, it's a real deadly disease. Shouldn't we be wearing hazard suits?"

There is no cure for Ebola. Therefore we don't need to import it to this country. That is reason enough.

It's stupidity that will surely get people killed by ebola. Deputy in Dallas is now in the hospital.

Grab this. My head was spinning faster than Linda Blair's in the Exorcist when I caught this at the Daily Mail.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgh!!!

They sent the Deputy to Duncan's apartment to serve the quarantine papers WITHOUT protective clothing.

AND as if that's not bad freaking enough he wasn't being monitored. Here's the link. It is idiocy like this that makes me want to run around the house smashing shit up.

Unreal.

BREAKING: Texas sheriff's deputy rushed to hospital with Ebola symptoms after attending apartment of 'patient zero' who died today
  • Dallas County Sheriff Deputy Michael Monning went to an urgent care clinic in Frisco, Texas with his wife on Wednesday

• A witness at the clinic described him as 'hunched over and flushed'
The deputy was inside the apartment where Ebola patient Thomas Duncan fell ill - the officer wasn't wearing protective clothing

• The CDC said the person is not one of the 48 contacts being monitored

• The CareNow clinic was placed in lock-down
Second man rushed to hospital with Ebola symptoms after contact with patient zero Thomas Duncan Daily Mail Online

1412801561447_wps_65_DALLAS_TX_OCTOBER_08_A_po.jpg

At least the family member of Duncan, a nursing assistant who was given the clear to return to work,
HAS the sense NOT to go back to work or to let those kids go to school until after the 21 days is up.

Even if you think you are safe, other people are scared of the risk.
At least someone has some sense and sensitivity toward others!

There is no cure for Ebola. Therefore we don't need to import it to this country. That is reason enough.

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/136020/1/roadmapsitrep_8Oct2014_eng.pdf

I was looking for links to check the rate of new cases reported. ^ I found this ^

One source interpreted this report as the cases going down, especially with the
military lab opening up on Oct 5 in Africa to help address, cap and curb the spread.

It looks like the cases are still going up, especially due to disorganization in finding and reporting existing cases
that are still spreading. And only the treatment has increased in order to lower the death rate.

Anyone have any daily reports or sources on the new cases per day, to see when this slows down?

Here's another link from a blog citing WHO and a possible slowdown on new cases:
Could Ebola Be Slowing Down In Liberia Goats and Soda NPR

Last edited:
Africa doesn't want educated Europeans there.... They want what is theirs.

The medical care isn't theirs, Ebola is theirs..
So why are we giving away the healthcare that is ours and risking being infected by their diseases ?

We help because we can. Compassion for your fellow man does not make you gay.

They are bringing some of the patients to Emory, here in Atlanta. They will have the best medical care available, and the CDC is also here to make sure it is contained.

Panic over something else.

Well, it doesn't make me gay. It might make you gay. Though I'm not convinced you have compassion. You certainly don't have much for the children who are going to be exposed to the horrific diseases the CDC has been complicit in dosing them with...

Pretty amazing, that just this week, the US was considering extra screening at airports....starting Saturday in the NY area...AFTER someone arrived here ( Dallas ) via an airport.

I just can't shake the "someone ( both sides of the aisle ) is asleep at the switch " feeling.....

Pretty amazing, that just this week, the US was considering extra screening at airports....starting Saturday in the NY area...AFTER someone arrived here ( Dallas ) via an airport.

I just can't shake the "someone ( both sides of the aisle ) is asleep at the switch " feeling.....

After Texas Ebola patient s death what ifs linger - CNN.com

For Comparisons being made as to the treatment of the Dallas Patient Zero:
1. in other cases of Ebola sufferers brought the US, these were Health Workers already connected
with hospitals and medical teams ready to receive and treat them. Also these were people in the field
trying to save lives, so of course there is going to be greater respect and support for them.

Several doctors and nurses HAVE died even though their cases were detected early.
So it's not like only the best people got the best care and lived; some survived and some did not regardless of treatment

2. The man in Dallas, Thomas Duncan, may have been misled by the family of the sick woman.
But it appears Liberian officials already knew at that point to screen for Ebola.
So whatever lapse occurred where he did not think he had been exposed or was at risk,
THAT is what cost him time. If full information had been given to begin with, this also would have prevented delay.

So I think it is unfair to keep harping on the lapse between the information given to the nurse and not to the doctor in Dallas,
when the INITIAL lapse was way before that, when Duncan did not think to report the death of his neighbor and family
as exposure to Ebola.

3. From what I understand, experimental drugs were normally administered within the first four days or so.
Duncan had already progressed much farther by the time this was reported and diagnosed.
Again I see the delay on his side, in reporting this later instead of sooner,
as equal if not more responsible for the delay than the lapses on the treatment side in Dallas.

Even the best, well-respected doctors diagnosed immediately in Africa were dying despite the best treatment. So I don't think it is fair just to compare to the people who survived and complain of being slighted.

Here's another take on this:

Guardian News Website - Some Spiritual Lessons From The Ebola Outbreak

[EMAIL][email protected][/EMAIL] said:
The spiritual lessons of obedience and discipline are being learnt, whether this is evident in adhering to the rules laid out by the Government through the Ministry of Health, or by being more aware of looking after our environment. Moreover, appreciation for the efforts of the authorities in charge, shows the spiritual lesson of gratitude learnt; and gratitude is an element in healing.

And an article on Doctors Without Borders / Medecins Sans Frontiers:

Doctors Without Borders Changed The Way We Heal The World Goats and Soda NPR

Last edited:

1. in other cases of Ebola sufferers brought the US, these were Health Workers already connected
with hospitals and medical teams ready to receive and treat them. Also these were people in the field
trying to save lives, so of course there is going to be greater respect and support for them.

Several doctors and nurses HAVE died even though their cases were detected early.
So it's not like only the best people got the best care and lived; some survived and some did not regardless of treatment

2. The man in Dallas, Thomas Duncan, may have been misled by the family of the sick woman.
But it appears Liberian officials already knew at that point to screen for Ebola.
So whatever lapse occurred where he did not think he had been exposed or was at risk,
THAT is what cost him time. If full information had been given to begin with, this also would have prevented delay.

So I think it is unfair to keep harping on the lapse between the information given to the nurse and not to the doctor in Dallas,
when the INITIAL lapse was way before that, when Duncan did not think to report the death of his neighbor and family
as exposure to Ebola.

3. From what I understand, experimental drugs were normally administered within the first four days or so.
Duncan had already progressed much farther by the time this was reported and diagnosed.
as equal if not more responsible for the delay than the lapses on the treatment side in Dallas.

Even the best, well-respected doctors diagnosed immediately in Africa were dying despite the best treatment. So I don't think it is fair just to compare to the people who survived and complain of being slighted.

Your points ( and links are well taken ), but I wasn't really speaking of the people in volved in this fight, but our Government ( thus my reference to "both sides of the aisle")..

as exposure to Ebola.

Your points ( and links are well taken ), but I wasn't really speaking of the people in volved in this fight, but our Government ( thus my reference to "both sides of the aisle")..

Yes, but even on that note, it looks like we the people of America
can learn lessons on how to take responsibility for action and leadership ourselves instead of waiting on govt:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/14/world/africa/ebola-liberia.html

This doctor is a good example. He got his education in America at Harvard
and is using his knowledge to organize local people in the slums to take more action themselves.

We need this in America also instead of complacently waiting on govt or politicians
and blaming them when nothing happens.

TLC Africa

Ebola Conference Call: Ebola Challenges, Supplies and Logistics

• - To understand what the challenges are for health care professionals in Liberia

• - To bring together relief organizations, other institutions and Liberians and create synergy in

getting supplies or donations to Liberia.

• - To promote collaborations between institutions and individuals in the fight against Ebola

• - To obtain accurate information from happenings in Liberia in order to align supplies and

donations to close gaps

• - To create general awareness of the dire need for help

• - To create a clearing house of institutions and organizations helping the Ebola effort and ensure

transparency from donor to recipient. Guests:

Chris Johnston, Communications Manager, Samaritan’s Purse
- Samaritan’s Purse has sent doctors and medical supplies to Liberia and has been in the fight against Ebola. Two of their doctors were infected with the disease and brought to the States for treatment. Contac t Samaritan Purse at Samaritan s Purse International Relief

Scott Lien, Executive Director, Global Health Ministries
- GHM has been in Liberia for 27 year, have sent air freight and shipped thousands of dollars of

supplies to Liberia since the Ebola outbreak. Contact Global Health Ministries at www.ghm.org Andy Perkins, Chairman of the Board, Bestwa

- Bestwa has been shipping nutrition supplies to Liberia for over 10 years. They operate in Nimba, Bassa and Rivercess. Contact Bestwa at Bestwa Inc. Home

Dr. Mosoka Fallah: Epidemiologist in Liberia

Fayiah Tamba: Secretary General of the Liberian Red Cross (could not make the call due to communications problem)

Remember, it is easier to contact these guests through [email protected]. Due to the number of people on the call, this email account will serve as a filter so our guests are not inundated with emails that can be answered by the team.

Link to Audio transcript of the conference call:

FAQ with Relief Groups

I am a doctor (or have other doctors and nurses) who want to volunteer service in Liberia. Is that possible-

Samaritan Purse: Yes, we have done so in the past and will consider that on case by case basis. Feel free to connect with us through our website. Note: It will be faster to connect with Chris through [email protected].

Can you pick up supplies from Liberians and organizations throughout the country-

Samaritan Purse: Container already scheduled to leave in 8-10 days. Samaritan is purchasing supplies from manufacturers and shipping out. Not expecting to send out containers right now although they will make decisions on a case by case basis. We also have ability to work with Liberians in the UK.

Bestwa: It depends on the size of the supplies and if it can be easily shipped to one of their warehouses across the country. Bestwa has containers currently en route to Liberia at ports in New Jersey, Tennessee, Houston, and Oregon; two of those containers with food packages.

Global Health Ministries: We are in the Mid-West (Minneapolis). If supplies are on the East Coast, we recommend other agencies like Samaritan’s Purse. If it is close to the Mid-West, they can contact GHM. We can also connect them to others entities that are shipping. It’s on a case by case basis so we encourage organizations and individuals to contact us so we can discuss.

Note: For faster connection to the guests, email [email protected]

Are there efforts to connect with major airlines or carriers such as FedEx, UPS, and DHL so that Liberians could donate supplies-

• - Our carriers helped us connect with SN Brussel via Air Canada but the cost of air freight is expensive

• - The cost of 5 pallets is approximately $8,500
    Can you ship supplies if the donor asks to deliver supplies to a specific area-

Global Health Ministries: Have had supplies that were targeted for specific areas but most of their supplies have been in Lofa, Montserrado and Bong Counties. It would be done on a case by case basis if the logistics can work out.
Bestwa: yes we can but Bestwa will have to evaluate the logistics of it. We will work with the donor to get supplies where they’re needed.

FAQ with Dr. Mosoka Fallah

How many burial teams do we have in Monrovia-

• - Started with 2 burial teams and now 6 burial teams; however the burial teams have not been able to effectively bury the dead.

• - Yesterday, there were 6 bodies in New Kru Town, bodies in Bensonville, there was a body in slipway and we couldn’t get all of the bodies around.

Why is it taking so long to respond despite the increase in burial teams-
  • - Most of the vehicles that are supposed to pick up the sick or bury the dead don’t leave early because they have to wait for hours to receive gasoline for the day.

• - The case investigation team also needs to be out in the field. If they can’t go out due to gasoline issues, we lose valuable time.

• - Such wait, plus the one hour it takes for the workers to get dressed in personal protective equipment (PPE) does not help the system run efficiently.

• - How many bodies can they remove from the community when the wait takes so many hours before they start work-

What are the challenges in the fight against Ebola-
  • - Delays in response time to pick up the sick and take them to treatment centers

• - Delays in response time to pick up and bury the dead

• - In some instances, the dead are staying three to four days with family before pickup

• - In some instances it takes 2-3 days before the sick are picked up and taken to treatment centers

• - These delays are counterproductive to the fight against Ebola, thus creating the environment

where the disease could spread.

What part of the system is not working-
  • - Example, during a cursory research on the system, I observed statistics that there were 75 calls from the community for cases, but we were only responding to 22 of those calls.

• - We are not responding adequately to all of the calls.
  • - In some instances, it is difficult to move sick people into treatment centers because the centers are full.

• - The system is not synchronized or unified as yet and that needs to be addressed What can be done-
  • - We should not only focus on the logistics of getting supplies, we should fix the system problems. For example, can we come up with a plan for vehicles to get fuel adequately- Can we get gas cards or slips for drivers to fill the cars every evening-

• - Can organizations sponsor means to obtain gas. Can they help with vehicles-

• - Can we provide body bags for one week instead of on a daily basis-

• - Organizations and individuals should also consider helping with these system problems in

addition to medical supplies.

• - We need to shorten response time in order to reach sick people, remove them from the

population and take them to treatment centers. Our inability to identify and swiftly remove sick people from the population will hamper our progress.

Community Engagement
  • - We need to get the communities involved, we need to mobilize them

• - It’s important to put community leaders together and empower them. Trends show that in

other countries where the spread of Ebola have been broken, the main factor was community

engagement and involvement

• - Community leaders on active surveillance can find and report cases quickly

• - Spread of Ebola in some communities in Lofa County have been reversed because of community

involvement

Human Resources
    • - In some cases, workers are complaining that they don’t know their employment status, how much they’re getting paid.

• - Drivers and workers are not confident in employment (status of contract or how much they will be paid)

• - We need to help the drivers, the sprayers, the folks who are in the field daily with adequate pay and compensation

• - We need more people in the field; those who have experience organizing communities can come and help the Ebola effort

What are some of the needs at the treatment centers-
  • - We need experts, hygienists and people with experience in disease control and prevention

• - We need Liberians who are counselors, sociologists, psychologists to help change the perception

and mindset of the public and victims.
How do you track mortality rates of Ebola vs Cholera and Malaria-

• - We have all made errors (including myself). Our focus on Ebola has distracted us from catering to other diseases.

• - It’s difficult to do because Liberia has lost a lot of health care workers to the virus

• - Lack of adequate PPE keeps other health professionals away from hospitals and keeps them

from dealing with the sick.

• - An example: a healthcare worker did a rapid diagnostic testing (pricking the finger and drawing

blood) on someone for malaria without using gloves; this physician assistant died, his wife died,

three other persons died.

• - There is widespread fear among healthcare workers in the absence of PPE

Why is it that people don’t believe Ebola exists-
  • - I was in West Point some time ago and people were jeering at me saying there is no Ebola although we counted 39 persons who dies in 30 days.

• - This is not unique to Liberia. When there’s an outbreak, there is a tendency that people would not believe health reports.

• - But as the disease progresses and people see the impact, those perceptions change What can be done about this issue-
  • - Give feedback of lab results to family members so they can know that their family members died of Ebola

• - Engage community leaders and convince them with information so they can bring their constituents on board. When the community starts to report strange deaths, it makes things easier.

• - Use social media to create awareness and educate people. What other items or supplies are needed in the fight against Ebola-
  • - Obtain list from MOH; Plastic aprons, disposable gowns, head gear, surgical masks, caps, rain boots, boot covers, body bag chlorine.

• - We need infrared thermometers to prevent contact with potential sick patients. These are very important.

• - Proper PPE will help reduce fear of healthcare workers

• - Some health workers will not touch patients because of the absence of PPE, even if the patients

do not show symptoms of Ebola.

Is it true that people have been using formaldehyde to purify wells-
- It has been ruled out as a lie. There is no evidence of such.

List Shared by Dr. Mosoka

Needed Items.

1. Ambulance 2. Gloves
3. Googles
4. Gowns
5. Boots
6. spraying Can 7. Buckets

8. Aprons
9. Disinfectant (chlorine,) 10. Plastic Sheet
11. Ambubag
12. T0wels
13. Linens/Bed sheets
14. IV Pole
15. Gentaviolet (G V)
16. Cord Tied
17. Waste Disposer Bag 18. Alcohol
19. Suction machine
29. Mosquitos nets
30. Infants Bed
31. Mask
32. Infrared thermometers 33. rain boots
34. head gears
Drugs Needed
Antibiotics---------Adults &Peds (PO &IM) Analgesic
Hypertensive Drugs
B-Complex

Quinine -------------Adults &Peds (PO& IV) Metoclopomide
Diclofanic----------- (PO& IM)
Phenegan ----------(IM&PO)

Adrenalin Multivitamin
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Mebendazole
Metronidazole -------(PO& IV) Compound Magnesium (Gas tablets) Diazepam---------------(PO& IM) Egod
Fluid (R/L, DNS,NS,D5W,)
Cipro ---------- (PO&IV)
Oral rehydration Salt
Folic Acid
Ferrous/Fefa
D50%
Pitocin
Piriton
Lidocain
Sutures
Gauzes Syringes-----(2cc,5cc,10cc,20cc.) Needles------(18g,19g,22g)
Cannula -----(20g,21g,22g,23g,24g.) Scalp vein Needles

Tubing
Cotton Wood Gauze Bandage
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Acknowledgements for Participating in/Promoting the Call

Union of Liberian Associations in America (ULAA) European Federation of Liberian Association Samaritan’s Purse
Global Health Ministries

Bestwa
Dr. Mosoka Fallah, Epidemiologist fighting Ebola in Liberi Friends of Liberia (FOL)
Grand Capemount County Association
Bong County Association
Lofa County Association

Nimba County Association (UNICCO) Bassa County Association (UNIBOA) Grand Gedeh County Association Liberia Association, Sacramento Liberia Association, Houston

Liberia Association, Dallas
Liberia Association, Nashville
Other Relief Organizations
Liberian Association of Metropolitan Atlanta Liberian Public Radio

Special thanks to Liberty Party and its leaders for initiating the need to bring Liberians in the Diaspora together on a conference call against Ebola. In the interest of creating a neutral and non-political atmosphere, I was asked to coordinate and moderate “We Stand as One against Ebola” campaign as an individual with anyone or group willing to help.

Philip B. Suah, Jr.
Coordinator/Moderator, “We Stand as One against Ebola” Campaign [email protected]

1. Based on medical records, Frieden said it appears the team of 77-healthcare workers who treated Duncan had exposed skin while working in the quarantine unit during the three-day window between when he was admitted and when he was diagnosed.

CDC US nurse with Ebola should not have traveled on commercial flight live updates World news The Guardian

The hospital workers had exposed skin BEFORE he was diagnosed.

The first transmission was to a nurse AFTER he was diagnosed and when he was closer to dying and most contagious.

After he was diagnosed he still had high-risk procedures done involving tubes and dialysis
that in the case of Ebola require much high level safeguards if attempted at all.

2. Only 4 US hospitals such as Emory in Atlanta have the biocontainment units necessary
for this level of biosafety hazard (level 4 pathogen that requires more than standard protection, but a full suit
see CDC chart on what is required for Level 4 which is not what hospitals and staff were provided:
CDC LC Quick Learn Recognize the four Biosafety Levels

Official: Duncan should have been moved

An official close to the situation says that in hindsight, Duncan should have been transferred immediately to either Emory University Hospital in Atlanta or Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha.

Those hospitals are among only four in the country that have biocontainment units and have been preparing for years to treat a highly infectious disease like Ebola.

"If we knew then what we know now about this hospital's ability to safely care for these patients, then we would have transferred him to Emory or Nebraska," the official told CNN senior medical correspondent Elizabeth Cohen.

"I think there are hospitals that are more than ready, but I think there are some that are not."

Forum List

Back