earthquakes …. have you ever experinced one?

Yeah....
Felt like I was dancing without trying. Then seeing the trees sway so hard I figured out what was happening. A teacher started running and yelling down the hallway for people to get under a desk. And I thought that this was the most ridiculous thing because our desk tops were the old kind; the size of a sheet of notebook paper. I knew nobody would ever fit as the chair seats were bigger than the desk tops.

I ran outside of the old WPA project building...the whole thing shaking like that gave me no confidence in its standing much longer....they did demolish it a few years later.

Odd, on the East Coast the old buildings made by the WPA in the 30's are almost indestructible, at least the ones in Wastewater plants.

Most people have experienced them ... the big question is, have you ever caused one?
She has and very frequently .

Next week .
Constipation
Ever had it ?
How bad ?
Ever caused a minor earthquake ?
Across your neighbourhood?
How many people hospitalised ?

Odd, on the East Coast the old buildings made by the WPA in the 30's are almost indestructible, at least the ones in Wastewater plants.
This one was early 80's in Idaho. The other ones I experienced in bay area CA were "nothings" by far comparison.

Earthquakes differ due to the type and direction of movement. Where a 3.5 can be a "nothing" in one quake it can be devastating in another....all depending on the direction and type of movement.

This one was early 80's in Idaho. The other ones I experienced in bay area CA were "nothings" by far comparison.

Earthquakes differ due to the type and direction of movement. Where a 3.5 can be a "nothing" in one quake it can be devastating in another....all depending on the direction and type of movement.

Nah. A 3.5 is too small to do anything major, no matter the ground type. Liquefaction only becomes an issue when you get up into the Magnitude 6 and above quakes.

A 4.7 to a 5 will flatten a very poorly constructed shack, but will have zero effect on a modern building built to Code.

Nah. A 3.5 is too small to do anything major, no matter the ground type. Liquefaction only becomes an issue when you get up into the Magnitude 6 and above quakes.

A 4.7 to a 5 will flatten a very poorly constructed shack, but will have zero effect on a modern building built to Code.
Liquefaction is a RESULT of an earthquake...not what I was discussing. And Liquefaction can be an issue from a more minor quake....it all depends upon the oluvial in the area. In the Southern CA area it could be devastating...especially around LA which has very little rock and deep oluvial soil. Where in Idaho (outside the Treasure Valley areas (snake river valley in the southern portion) the oluvial soil is shallow and Liquefaction is not as much a factor as most buildings are built into and on top of bedrock.

Liquefaction is a RESULT of an earthquake...not what I was discussing. And Liquefaction can be an issue from a more minor quake....it all depends upon the oluvial in the area. In the Southern CA area it could be devastating...especially around LA which has very little rock and deep oluvial soil. Where in Idaho (outside the Treasure Valley areas (snake river valley in the southern portion) the oluvial soil is shallow and Liquefaction is not as much a factor as most buildings are built into and on top of bedrock.

The term is ALUVIAL, and no, liquefaction is a result of amplification of the P wave by the ground water in whichever strata the P wave propagates through.

Dry aluvium will NEVER experience liquefaction. It isn't possible. There are no "coulds" in geology, there are "will" or "will nots".

Who was reading this thread today at 10:55 AM PST?

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A light but widely felt earthquake shook Southern California on Friday. There were no immediate reports of damage to buildings, other infrastructure or injuries.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 10:55 a.m. quake, after several revisions, was a magnitude 4.2 and was centered about a mile (1 kilometer) northwest of Lytle Creek, in the San Gabriel Mountains about 45 miles (72 kilometers) east of downtown Los Angeles. The depth was put at about 5.5 miles (8.8 kilometers).

A quake of such magnitude is typically not strong enough to cause significant damage.

Michael Guardado, who works at the front desk of the San Bernardino National Forest's Lytle Creek Ranger Station, said the “building shook hard.”

Officials were working to determine the earthquake’s impact on the area and Guardado said he had heard that “a lot of rocks” had fallen onto Lytle Creek Road.

Cari Torguson, a bartender at Melody’s Place in Lytle Creek, said she felt “a hard boom and a shake” from the earthquake.

“It wasn’t very long but it was scary,” she told The Associated Press.

A decorative glass mushroom above the bar fell and broke, and a jar of instant coffee toppled off a shelf in the adjoining store, she said.

There were only a handful of people inside the building and no one had time to duck under a table, she said.

The quake was felt as a slight rocking in downtown Los Angeles. Shaking was also reported in several surrounding counties and cities, including the city of Long Beach, more than 50 miles (80 kilometers) southwest of Lytle Creek.

When we lived in Northern California in an area that had geo-thermal power plants, earthquakes were almost daily, generally under 3 on the Richter scale but every-so-often up in the 5’s. It was just part of life, no big deal.

Who was reading this thread today at 10:55 AM PST?

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A light but widely felt earthquake shook Southern California on Friday. There were no immediate reports of damage to buildings, other infrastructure or injuries.

The U.S. Geological Survey said the 10:55 a.m. quake, after several revisions, was a magnitude 4.2 and was centered about a mile (1 kilometer) northwest of Lytle Creek, in the San Gabriel Mountains about 45 miles (72 kilometers) east of downtown Los Angeles. The depth was put at about 5.5 miles (8.8 kilometers).

A quake of such magnitude is typically not strong enough to cause significant damage.

Michael Guardado, who works at the front desk of the San Bernardino National Forest's Lytle Creek Ranger Station, said the “building shook hard.”

Officials were working to determine the earthquake’s impact on the area and Guardado said he had heard that “a lot of rocks” had fallen onto Lytle Creek Road.

Cari Torguson, a bartender at Melody’s Place in Lytle Creek, said she felt “a hard boom and a shake” from the earthquake.

“It wasn’t very long but it was scary,” she told The Associated Press.

A decorative glass mushroom above the bar fell and broke, and a jar of instant coffee toppled off a shelf in the adjoining store, she said.

There were only a handful of people inside the building and no one had time to duck under a table, she said.

The quake was felt as a slight rocking in downtown Los Angeles. Shaking was also reported in several surrounding counties and cities, including the city of Long Beach, more than 50 miles (80 kilometers) southwest of Lytle Creek.

up to date!

Forum List

Back