Dutch museum says van Gogh painting stolen in overnight raid

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — A painting by Dutch master Vincent van Gogh was stolen in an overnight smash-and-grab raid on a museum that was closed to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, police and the museum said Monday.

The Singer Laren museum east of Amsterdam said that “The Parsonage Garden at Nuenen in Spring 1884” by the Dutch master was taken in the early hours of Monday. By early afternoon, all that could be seen from the outside of the museum was a large white panel covering a door in the building’s glass facade.

Museum General Director Evert van Os said the institution that houses the collection of American couple William and Anna Singer is “angry, shocked, sad” at the theft.

I wonder how long it will take to get it back.

Whoever stole it must have had a buyer lined up. That buyer can't do anything but hide it, unless they never let anyone into their house, not even a cleaning lady, right? There are going to be pictures of it everywhere on tv and in the papers. What a waste.

I hope I'm wrong, but I bet it will be gone for years.
1585598842102.png

Last edited:
Looks like it just rained (isn't that a few puddles here and there?), but it's clearing some--especially brighter over the church (reminds me of the church spire in Stormy Night) She must be looking for the first crocuses or green shoots pushing up through the dreary mud. First bud break on the flowering trees. Not enough sun or open blossoms on the trees or colorful clothes on the woman to make it exactly cheerful, but there is a faint promise there.

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — A painting by Dutch master Vincent van Gogh was stolen in an overnight smash-and-grab raid on a museum that was closed to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, police and the museum said Monday.

The Singer Laren museum east of Amsterdam said that “The Parsonage Garden at Nuenen in Spring 1884” by the Dutch master was taken in the early hours of Monday. By early afternoon, all that could be seen from the outside of the museum was a large white panel covering a door in the building’s glass facade.

Museum General Director Evert van Os said the institution that houses the collection of American couple William and Anna Singer is “angry, shocked, sad” at the theft.

I wonder how long it will take to get it back.

WHAT??????

On his birthday??????

Vincent van Gogh, in full Vincent Willem van Gogh, (born March 30, 1853, Zundert, Netherlands—died July 29, 1890, Auvers-sur-Oise, near Paris, France), Dutch painter, generally considered the greatest after Rembrandt van Rijn, and one of the greatest of the Post-Impressionists. The striking colour, emphatic brushwork, and contoured forms of his work powerfully influenced the current of Expressionism in modern art. Van Gogh’s art became astoundingly popular after his death, especially in the late 20th century, when his work sold for record-breaking sums at auctions around the world and was featured in blockbuster touring exhibitions. In part because of his extensive published letters, van Gogh has also been mythologized in the popular imagination as the quintessential tortured artist."
Britannica.com

Just wait 'til he hears about this!!

Oh....wait.....

Forum List

Back