DUNE 2020

Dune is already working on a sequel in writing the script

The sequel to 'Dune' was written 44-years-ago. It's called 'Children of Dune'.

I predict this latest iteration of 'Dune' will fail, not because it's a bad premise, but because the book 'Dune' is such a sweeping epic of intricate plots and sub-plots so far removed from popular science fiction, that it can't be condensed into a 3-hour movie.

David Lynch's 1984 'Dune', was a disappointment for 'Dune' fans and confusing for people who had never read the novel for precisely that reason.

A similar example, is Peter Jacksons 2001 (and 2002 ... and 2003) 'Lord of the Rings'. More than nine hours of film and they still had to leave out Tom Bombadil and his hippy wife.

It looks absolutely appalling. Timothee is a wimp. He will make a terrible Paul. The best Dune version, imo, is the mini-series with Alec Newman as Paul. It's too bad they didn't have a bigger budget (i.e. sets are rather cheesy) - but it's well cast and acted.

No film version of DUNE will ever equal the film I saw in my head the first time I read it. That's probably true of everyone.

Frank Herbert liked the overall look of Lynch's, but the story and the studio buried Lynch. He finally took his name off it.

I detested the TV miniseries. Very sophomoric, terrible production values. Children of Dune was a bit better, but surely they could have found 10 year old twins to keep it authentically creepy.

The trailer for the remake debuts online tomorrow. We'll see.

Last edited:

I predict this latest iteration of 'Dune' will fail, not because it's a bad premise, but because the book 'Dune' is such a sweeping epic of intricate plots and sub-plots so far removed from popular science fiction, that it can't be condensed into a 3-hour movie.

David Lynch's 1984 'Dune', was a disappointment for 'Dune' fans and confusing for people who had never read the novel for precisely that reason.

A similar example, is Peter Jacksons 2001 (and 2002 ... and 2003) 'Lord of the Rings'. More than nine hours of film and they still had to leave out Tom Bombadil and his hippy wife.

And for some reason make the "scary ghosts" into killer ghosts.

To be fair, if they didn't ramp up the thrills, it would have been a nine-hour movie about people walking.

"Even the TREES walked in that movie" -- Randall Graves, "Clerks II"

Dune was awesome. The sequels all sucked.

And I agree that it won't translate to the screen well for exactly the reason you state.

Jacksons version of LOTR was absolutely pathetic, walked out half way through "Fellowship" and stayed away from everything after that point... A motion picture I might be interested in would be Steven R. Donaldson's Lord Fouls Bane, The Illearth War, and The Power That Preserves, but they'd definitely fuck that up too...

Dune was awesome. The sequels all sucked.

I have to agree with that. 'Dune' (the novel) was a masterpiece. 'Children of Dune' a fair novel. Everything after that was just unreadable.

Herbert milked that cow own to the bone.

To be fair, if they didn't ramp up the thrills, it would have been a nine-hour movie about people walking.

"Even the TREES walked in that movie" -- Randall Graves, "Clerks II"

Indeed, still think they could have kept the ghosting going BOO and added the Rangers in as the reinforcements.

The upcoming movie is only going to cover half of the first Dune book. The “sequel” will be the second half. So, nearly six hours to tell the story should suffice.

The upcoming movie is only going to cover half of the first Dune book. The “sequel” will be the second half. So, nearly six hours to tell the story should suffice.

Tell me about your home world, Usul.

Forum List

Back