Ducks - stupidest thread ever, enter at your own risk

So I have farm drama a lot.

I've had chickens for years, but live where we have a red fox problem, we have a hawk problem too, but a couple pellets and they figure it out. I've raised a lot of chicks. This spring, DD wants a couple ducks. DUCKS? We get 2, they are in my kitchen as babies eating peas like crazy.

One ends up mothering all the chicks and chickens and she's grows into a full blown mallard, the other is names Ass Kicker and she's an Indian Runner. Long story short. All the chicks and chickens get in the holly tree and sleep together other than the 2 ducks and the duck chicken.

I have 1 ass kicker duck, 1 mama duck and 1 chicken duck that will only be with them and they all sleep in a pen. My big blue tick dog had surgery and is not outside for another week during the day to ward off the foxes.

The Mama Duck - mallard - gets it yesterday by the foxes. DD is destroyed. Ass Kicker is wandering around all sad. Top on that - this new batch of chicks we got - one ends up a rooster. Starts his cock a doodle from 4am til 6am so I haven't really slept since he figured out he's a rooster.

Complicate it - the rooster keeps getting outside his breed and won't leave the ducks alone. Ya know. So I'm out there yelling all the time "SHE'S A DUCK!! GET OFF HER".

Now that the fox came, I'm really worried today about Ass Kicker because she's an awesome duck (shut up). She comes for peas and her feathers are so soft and we love her dearly. But she's all alone now other than dipshit rooster jumping on her.

To leave her with the chickens or to give her to one of my best friends that has many ducks and let her be with her own instead of only the chicken that thinks she's a duck now that Mama Duck her friend is gone?

Am I being selfish to not just take her over there?

I warned you this was enter at your own risk. My farm drama is way more than the Kardamartians could ever hope for.

Thanks for all opinions :)
-c

Have you considered raising emus?

images

No but I've thought about getting a donkey.

That would put me smack into real farm though. I just flirt with it now.

the ducks are the hubbys and he thinks they are great...they way they travel in a flock etc...but yes they are stupid...the only words they get are in and out...and only if i go down there..they ignore hubby...they love spinach too....when i am in the garden they will just quack at me...

i never raised them to be that tame either...so they act like i am a total monster when they see me....even when i feed them...

my chickens can be petted...they will come when i call them..they are free ranging most of the day....buddy the short...stays out with them to protect them...they hate humans for having hands....when i am picking blueberries and they have eaten all the ones they can reach they just cluck at me..and i tell them about 'hands' lol they look so pissed off....my husband made fun of me for calling them and feeding them...he was going..they are just gonna follow you..then he saw me laughing....have you ever seen a buff run...they just waddle...the buffs are the largest ones i have..i have buff orpingtons ....barred rocks, red island reds and a golden whydot? not how its spelled but how its said...and two easter eggs chickens that dont look alike and i think only one lays blue eggs....the rest are brown egg layers

and that is why i dont have any roosters.....get rid of the rooster ....or you will only have more to deal with....i only have hens

He was supposed to be a she.

That happened once before and that rooster is history.

Mean.

He was chasing my DD and her friends around the yard and terrorizing anyone that came over. I punted him once and he didn't seem to care - he just kept coming.

and that is why i dont have any roosters.....get rid of the rooster ....or you will only have more to deal with....i only have hens

He was supposed to be a she.

That happened once before and that rooster is history.

Mean.

He was chasing my DD and her friends around the yard and terrorizing anyone that came over. I punted him once and he didn't seem to care - he just kept coming.

as the person who went two hours to purchase chicks and they all turned out to be roos.....i understand...i was lucky....another farm that 'processes' chickens came over and took them...we are a non slaughter ....we will keep the hens instead of processing them..we do not force laying or anything like that..when they dont lay...i just read them duck or chicken recipes from fanny farmer....but people pay more for our eggs due to the fact we are non slaughter and try to put the animals interest on the same footing as ours...

we made the hard decision not to pull any honey this year...a money killer..but even if the rain stops,,,the blooms come and are not knocked off by the rain..the pattern this year..the bees can only make enough honey to feed themselves thru the winter...so we announced last week that we will not have honey for sale this year...a major farm loss...we had early crops for market but lost a couple of crops due to rain and could ot replant....due to rain....you cant make stuff grew in mud...its been a bad year..down on the farm

the ducks are the hubbys and he thinks they are great...they way they travel in a flock etc...but yes they are stupid...the only words they get are in and out...and only if i go down there..they ignore hubby...they love spinach too....when i am in the garden they will just quack at me...

i never raised them to be that tame either...so they act like i am a total monster when they see me....even when i feed them...

my chickens can be petted...they will come when i call them..they are free ranging most of the day....buddy the short...stays out with them to protect them...they hate humans for having hands....when i am picking blueberries and they have eaten all the ones they can reach they just cluck at me..and i tell them about 'hands' lol they look so pissed off....my husband made fun of me for calling them and feeding them...he was going..they are just gonna follow you..then he saw me laughing....have you ever seen a buff run...they just waddle...the buffs are the largest ones i have..i have buff orpingtons ....barred rocks, red island reds and a golden whydot? not how its spelled but how its said...and two easter eggs chickens that dont look alike and i think only one lays blue eggs....the rest are brown egg layers

The duck I have left was on my kitchen floor the whole time she was growing up. She's very tame... stupid, but tame. The departed one wanted to mother the chickens but hated humans.

I'm not looking forward to getting rid of her, but I think I'm done.

Your story cracks me up. I've had chickens for about 4 years and they are constant entertainment. Mine don't have a coop. They run around the yard and the pastures and then climb a ladder to get in a tree to roost. I have ameraucanas a few buffs and foghorn leghorns (well I call them that) and a few reds. The leghorns are the most industrious. The buffs are the friendliest. The ameraucanas are the ones that lay blue eggs. Easter eggs ready made.

yea yea ..i have two...they look so different ....i went to chick days at southern states where they have horse water things full of chicks..hundreds of chicks....one is beautiful with ear tuffs...so pretty i just knew she was a roo....now they are friendly....they squat to be petted..the buffs are friendly...the damn rhode island reds....not so much...

now one thing about free range..it cuts down on ticks and fleas....

yea yea ..i have two...they look so different ....i went to chick days at southern states where they have horse water things full of chicks..hundreds of chicks....one is beautiful with ear tuffs...so pretty i just knew she was a roo....now they are friendly....they squat to be petted..the buffs are friendly...the damn rhode island reds....not so much...

now one thing about free range..it cuts down on ticks and fleas....

Very much on the bugs! They take care of all of that.

What kind of predators do you have where you live?

we are lucky...not many..we have bobcats and foxes...the duck pen on one side is covered..then they have a top open pen but can get inside most of the time..unless i am drying out the coop...we have coons but so far no trouble..hell anything can kill a duck...the chickens are shut up inside at night...i am amazed nothing has gotten a hen...*knock on wood*

i have a market for the eggs...i feel in with a local diner...that prides itself on being local...i started out giving them duck eggs...a gimmick for their quiche...as far as i know they are the only diner in the area that offers duck egg quiche and free duck eggs...you can upgrade your sammie choice with a fryed duck egg...that comes to me..the chicken eggs i sell or give to friends...

the duck egg market is hard to crack..heehee i slay me...but i think once you do...it can pay..of course i am still paying for the duck palace...

So I have farm drama a lot.

I've had chickens for years, but live where we have a red fox problem, we have a hawk problem too, but a couple pellets and they figure it out. I've raised a lot of chicks. This spring, DD wants a couple ducks. DUCKS? We get 2, they are in my kitchen as babies eating peas like crazy.

One ends up mothering all the chicks and chickens and she's grows into a full blown mallard, the other is names Ass Kicker and she's an Indian Runner. Long story short. All the chicks and chickens get in the holly tree and sleep together other than the 2 ducks and the duck chicken.

I have 1 ass kicker duck, 1 mama duck and 1 chicken duck that will only be with them and they all sleep in a pen. My big blue tick dog had surgery and is not outside for another week during the day to ward off the foxes.

The Mama Duck - mallard - gets it yesterday by the foxes. DD is destroyed. Ass Kicker is wandering around all sad. Top on that - this new batch of chicks we got - one ends up a rooster. Starts his cock a doodle from 4am til 6am so I haven't really slept since he figured out he's a rooster.

Complicate it - the rooster keeps getting outside his breed and won't leave the ducks alone. Ya know. So I'm out there yelling all the time "SHE'S A DUCK!! GET OFF HER".

Now that the fox came, I'm really worried today about Ass Kicker because she's an awesome duck (shut up). She comes for peas and her feathers are so soft and we love her dearly. But she's all alone now other than dipshit rooster jumping on her.

To leave her with the chickens or to give her to one of my best friends that has many ducks and let her be with her own instead of only the chicken that thinks she's a duck now that Mama Duck her friend is gone?

Am I being selfish to not just take her over there?

I warned you this was enter at your own risk. My farm drama is way more than the Kardamartians could ever hope for.

Thanks for all opinions :)
-c

Have you considered raising emus?

images

^^^ NEGGED!! for raising the dead. :D

I'm thinking about it but I'd have to do something with his shotgunned little carcass.

Ew.

See the dilemma.

I'm half cocked. I could do that part but then I'd start yelling for someone to do something with the fuzzy fox body.

I'm screwed six ways from Sunday on this fox and duck thing.

Easy,throw it on the side of the highway. Thats what I use to do with all the hogs I shot.

lol we do too...but if you can find a niche it pays...but here is the problem...in the summer i can sell all the eggs they can lay...matter of fact...i am having to scramble to fill orders now....so do i expand the flocks? It would mean a lot of work and i will have to work on a solid winter market...i have an angle...body builders love fresh eggs..total protein..i am gonna hit them up when i decide if i want to expand or not...

ducks are amazingly stupid...i am simply amazed they exist in the wild..

The ones in the wild are most definitely not stupid. Unless you want to count when they fly right at the blind because they fell for the decoys.
But their vision is astounding. One glimpse of your face or hands and they're gone.

that is funny cause they one eye ya to look at ya...

but my experience with wild ducks is very limited...the pond ducks are just lazy ho's who stay around and eat bread or scratch feed

The ones in the wild are most definitely not stupid. Unless you want to count when they fly right at the blind because they fell for the decoys.
But their vision is astounding. One glimpse of your face or hands and they're gone.

I need to get some wild ducks because these are dumb as rocks.

Their vision is awesome - they can spot a pea from 100 yards.

That's about where their talents end.

They are extremely cute, they walk funnier than any animal I've ever seen. And that there is why I have this duck problem in the first place. lol

I need to get some wild ducks because these are dumb as rocks.

Their vision is awesome - they can spot a pea from 100 yards.

That's about where their talents end.

They are extremely cute, they walk funnier than any animal I've ever seen. And that there is why I have this duck problem in the first place. lol

We had a Pekin duck when I was a kid. It thought it was a dog. Every time the boxers would run to the fence and bark,the duck was right there with em. And the duck would actually try and bark. Funny as hell !!
Had to get rid of him because he kept shitting in the pool and everywhere else.

Forum List

Back