How the hell is this justified?

capt.gagb10409010035.katrina_oil_gagb104.jpg

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/0805/31fuel.html

Gas getting even costlier; lines reported
Governor enacts anti-gouging law

By STACY SHELTON
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 08/31/05
Lines at Atlanta area gas pumps grew along with prices this afternoon as word spread of possible fuel shortages.

By noon today, several metro Atlanta gas stations had posted prices above $3.15 per gallon. Some metro area stations were charging as much as $4.75 a gallon, according to a Web site that keeps track of such things, www.atlantagasprices.com.

Prices were rising so fast in some areas that signs at gas stations no longer matched what was being charged at the pumps.

Declaring that there's "credible evidence" of price-gouging at the gas pumps, Gov. Sonny Perdue late Wednesday signed an executive order threatening to impose heavy fines on gasoline retailers who overcharge Georgia drivers.

"When you prey upon the fears and the paranoia, it is akin to looting, and it is abominable," Perdue said at a hastily called, 6 p.m. press conference.

The anti-gouging law does not prevent retailers from selling gas at higher rates but bars them from charging what the governor called "unreasonable or egregious" prices. It was last used after Hurricane Ivan hit Georgia.

Perdue also urged motorists to limit Labor Day vacation travel if possible. "There is no reason to panic. There is plenty of gas on the way. The only way we would have problems is if people rush out and try to horde and try to accumulate gasoline they won't need for a while," the governor said today.

Jim Tudor, president of the Georgia Association of Convenience Stores, said panicky drivers are the problem now.

"Atlanta's not out of gas," Tudor said. He said there may be outages at some gas stations, "but it wasn't because there wasn't gas available. It was because there was a run on these stores."

Spot shortages and news snippets ignited rumors that shot through e-mails, text messages, and telephone calls Wednesday. A popular one said state troopers were closing all gas stations at 4 p.m.; they didn't.

Some good news also trickled in. At 4 p.m., the Colonial Pipeline Company which owns one of the two downed gas pipelines serving metro Atlanta, sent out a news release saying some service will be restored tonight. Between 25 to 35 percent of the pipeline's capacity could be operational in hours. The company is using generators to re-energize the line.

According to Tudor, it generally takes about two days for gasoline, jet fuel and other refined oil products in the pipeline to reach Atlanta.

A manager at Costco in Morrow said at noon that prices at her store had not risen yet, but lines are long at the pumps. She would not give her name, but said she does expect lower supplies — just one truckload of gas a day as opposed to the usual two.

At the Chevron gas station at 10th and Spring streets in Midtown, drivers were limited to buying $10 of gas which was selling for $2.99 a gallon. A sign inside the station said "Due to fuel shortage, we are having to restrict use."

Tim Gara was filling up the Toyata RAV4 he bought in April with low gas mileage in mind. "I knew [gas] would be a problem with the hurricane. I didn't know it'd get to rationing," Gara said.

Dawn Townsend, driving a VW Beetle, said the rationing reminded her of the oil crisis in the early 1970s. "I was remembering all the lines," she said.

At about 3 p.m., more than 40 cars were in line for gas at the BP at Pharr and Piedmont roads. Of the 16 pumps, only four were working.

James Yodr said, "My sister called 15 minutes ago and said there was no gas where she was. The news is spreading fast."

Long lines were also reported at gas stations along Memorial Drive and Hill Street in DeKalb County, and the Virginia-Highland Chevron.

Cars lined up to get into gas stations were causing huge traffic jams on main arteries in Sandy Springs around 4:30 p.m.

Gas suppliers worried this morning whether fear of shortages would cause every driver to try to fill his tank at the same time, which would drain supplies much more quickly and perhaps cause the shortages everyone fears.

"The whole supply thing is so fluid and changes hourly," said BP spokesman Michael Kumpf. "In terms of this weekend, there's going to be gasoline around unless people start panic buying, which I'm hoping news stories won't encourage folks to do that. The more that happens, the bigger the problem [will be]."

There is no freaking excuse for gas station owners to raise their prices 200% in 1 day. They are not endanger of losing any business or any money. People will buy gas regardless of the price and their isnt any shortage on the horizon. These scum bags get away with murder.

insein said:
There is no freaking excuse for gas station owners to raise their prices 200% in 1 day. They are not endanger of losing any business or any money. People will buy gas regardless of the price and their isnt any shortage on the horizon. These scum bags get away with murder.

Yep. and nobody can really touch them.

The "majority" voted for the guy who is currently the president. He's doing nothing about this issue, because he is part of the oil industry. If you voted for him, really you should not say anything. If you voted against him, better luck next time.

nucular said:
The "majority" voted for the guy who is currently the president. He's doing nothing about this issue, because he is part of the oil industry. If you voted for him, really you should not say anything. If you voted against him, better luck next time.

you need to sleep nuke--or read the news---or watch TV--action HAS been taken---how can you possibly say NOTHING has been done to try to address the problem ?

This kind of statement shoots your credibility all to hell---If you wanna bitch about something at least gripe about what he has tried to do.

It's not all gouging though. Ive heard that some areas of the country have no gas and there will not be another gas shipment for several days.... is it really that big a surprise that the gas prices are jumping?

I think its about time we started rallying against the environmentalists that have been keeping us from building more refineries. Let's stop putting these restrictions on us that are keeping us back. and well lets start using a bike more too....maybe we wont be as fat that way too;)

• Thanks
Reactions: Nuc
dilloduck said:
you need to sleep nuke--or read the news---or watch TV--action HAS been taken---how can you possibly say NOTHING has been done to try to address the problem ?

This kind of statement shoots your credibility all to hell---If you wanna bitch about something at least gripe about what he has tried to do.

You're right, I retract my statement. He's not doing "nothing". However I do wish he would make energy a priority and start encouraging alternate sources of energy, even if it is not 100% in the interest of his oil buddies. That would be leadership. If we don't get away from our reliance on fossil fuels, we are in trouble and our descendents are doomed.

i remember when 911 happened and the caseys station gouged their prices... and got huge fines! they should be doing the same thing for these fuckers

Price gouging going on here. Wish our governor would step into this situation with some threats like Gov. Perdue. Heaven knows, he travels around our state constantly and should know there's price gouging going on.

i talked to my grandparents yesterday, chatting about stuff and we got talking about gas prices, and how it is affecting them.

grammy told me because my they are retired and on a fixed income, they used savings, and went and filled their motorhome, which has an 80 gallon capacity. they are not travelling at this time because of my grandpa's upcoming surgery.

my grandpa invented his own cyphon (sp?) that eliminates sucking on the end of a hose and getting gas in your mouth, so if they need fuel for their lawnmower, ATV's (their main mode of transportation around town to neighbors, post office, etc.), they just get it from the motorhome.

they also filled both their truck and car yesterday, and used some savings to stock up on food and supplies so they don't have to travel the 13 miles into town for anything for at least 3-4 weeks, unless it is an emergency, because they live in such a small town, the main street is literally a post office, a bar/grill, and a church--total of 4 blocks. the rest are houses. The closest supermarket or target or walmart is 13 miles SW in Grand Rapids, MN

I set the record on a radio show this morning by reporting a gas station I saw yesterday with a $6/gal pump price for regular unleaded. It's highway robbery. I liken these people to the looters, profiting off of a national disaster.

I filled up last night - $2.79 for regular unleaded; across the street - $3.19 for regular unleaded.

??????

Also..a friend's dad (Decatur, Alabama) filled up at $2.59. Drove home to get his other car and as he pulled back up, he saw the station changing the prices on the sign. He pulled in, started pumping. They came over and told him he had to stop, they were changing prices. He said, "No, I'm not. And, you are raising prices for the gas that is already in your underground tank. How did that gas's price change in 10 minutes? It has been in your tank how long?"

They just walked away.

He drove back by after he filled up the second car.

Gas was now $2.99 a gallon.

In the last three days where I live, gas has gone up $0.60 a gallon and continues to rise. One station will raise its prices and everyone else jumps to where they are. There is some gouging going on. As for building more refineries at the expense of the environment, that isn't the answer. The best thing to do is continue to look for alternative fuel sources, increase standards for fuel effeciency especially in giant gas guzzling SUVs, and to build refineries, if they are built, in areas that aren't environmentally sensitive.

acludem

acludem said:
In the last three days where I live, gas has gone up $0.60 a gallon and continues to rise. One station will raise its prices and everyone else jumps to where they are. There is some gouging going on. As for building more refineries at the expense of the environment, that isn't the answer. The best thing to do is continue to look for alternative fuel sources, increase standards for fuel effeciency especially in giant gas guzzling SUVs, and to build refineries, if they are built, in areas that aren't environmentally sensitive.

acludem
How stupid are you????---------EVERYPLACE is environmentally sensitive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blowup:

Actually, you're wrong. Not everywhere is equally environmentally sensitive. Each place has it's own environmental concerns. Refiners need to find places where they can produce their products and do as little harm to the surrounding environment as possible. There are areas that are far easier to accomplish that than others. And why the abrasive attitude? :huh:

acludem

acludem said:

acludem

When I was a manager of a Filling Station, just after I had gotten out of the Navy, it was policy to look at specific comptitor stations and match their pricing. Our gas station never set the price, they always followed. I was never able to figure out who was the leader in that type of price setting.

acludem said:

acludem

I understand the need for alternatives. However a viable alternative will not be found tommorrow, or next month or even within the next 20 to 50 years. We must do research and try and find alternative energy sources but in the meantime, we must secure any and all oil that we can.

BTW, how will INCREASING the already outrageous standards create more fuel? This will only raise prices further on the limited supply we have. The fact that a new refinery hasnt been built in over 20 years shows that to environmentalists, everywhere is environmentaly sensitive. Even the Germans cant understand why we dont have more refineries in this country. In the one article that criticizes Bush for creating the hurricane through his magical global warming powers, it actual speaks of how Americans are stupid for not building more refineries.

What we need to do is lower the EPA standards on these gases and find a NATIONAL standard rather than having each individual state dictate what its standard of gas is going to be. We then need to secure our oil reserves in ANWAR and the Gulf. Once we get oil flowing, we increase the supply to keep up with demand. We then build more refineries wherever they need to be in order to keep that supply coming. All while were doing this we focus research on finding alternative fuel sources for when oil is no longer a viable energy source. Thats how you do it.

acludem said:
Actually, you're wrong. Not everywhere is equally environmentally sensitive. Each place has it's own environmental concerns. Refiners need to find places where they can produce their products and do as little harm to the surrounding environment as possible. There are areas that are far easier to accomplish that than others. And why the abrasive attitude? :huh:

acludem

Garbage--try building a refinery ANYWHERE in the United States and someone will be there claiming that it will ruin the environment and btw---where are they going to pump all this polluted water that is drowning New Orleans? We certainly can't pump it into the Mississipi or the Gulf. 40 gazillion 55gal drums and haul them out to Nevada and bury them????---noooooooo---we can't trust our railways to take them there.
Abrasive attitude---because I'm royally pissed at the ignorance and deceit of organizations like yours who pretend to help America while they literally divide it and destroy it. :piss2:

dilloduck said:
Garbage--try building a refinery ANYWHERE in the United States and someone will be there claiming that it will ruin the environment and btw---where are they going to pump all this polluted water that is drowning New Orleans? We certainly can't pump it into the Mississipi or the Gulf. 40 gazillion 55gal drums and haul them out to Nevada and bury them????---noooooooo---we can't trust our railways to take them there.
Abrasive attitude---because I'm royally pissed at the ignorance and deceit of organizations like yours who pretend to help America while they literally divide it and destroy it. :piss2:

Seriously---anyone hear any stories from the evironmentalists on this one as to where to pump this toxic water to??? I though the were fighting to protect wetlands instead of pumping toxins into them and the Gulf.

Forum List

Back