"Don't fail the personality test"

freyasman

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2020
Texas
The title of this thread is something my father and his brothers, all cops, used to say when discussing their work. They were mainly referring to traffic stops, I believe, and talking about one of the factors involved in deciding who got a ticket and who got a warning.
But I wonder how many of these cops apply this question to themselves?
The reason so many of us don't like cops in general is because we have had bad interactions with them; many of them "failed the personality test"...... with us.
But they don't care about that, and that becomes obvious very quickly.

It's not always about a shooting or someone dying from excessive force, sometimes just being an imperious, entitled dick in a uniform is enough to make the rest of us not like you.

Another example;

Well Damn! I, like most people, would not press my luck with the cops like the dudes in the videos did. That being said, the people that were harassed in the videos are white. Black people are not the only one's that have troble with cops.

I do not reflexively support all law enforcement actions, but your choreography does not provide convincing examples of serious misconduct. I suppose you would like to eliminate all preventative precautions and restrict law enforcement to after-the fact crime investigations?

• Banned
I do not reflexively support all law enforcement actions, but your choreography does not provide convincing examples of serious misconduct. I suppose you would like to eliminate all preventative precautions and restrict law enforcement to after-the fact crime investigations?
I would settle for more professionalism and less ego driven "Do what I tell you!" attitude.

The title of this thread is something my father and his brothers, all cops, used to say when discussing their work. They were mainly referring to traffic stops, I believe, and talking about one of the factors involved in deciding who got a ticket and who got a warning.
The reason so many of us don't like cops in general is because we have had bad interactions with them; many of them "failed the personality test"...... with us.

It's not always about a shooting or someone dying from excessive force, sometimes just being an imperious, entitled dick in a uniform is enough to make the rest of us not like you.

It's call an attitude test, not a personality test.

Illegally detaining someone is serious in my book, even if it is only for a few minutes.

• Banned

It's call an attitude test, not a personality test.

Cops fail that a lot too.

Is limiting random stops part of Police Reform? I don't see much downside in implementing that. Every Black or Hispanic friend I have has told me they've been stopped multiple times for flimsy reasons.

Is limiting random stops part of Police Reform? I don't see much downside in implementing that. Every Black or Hispanic friend I have has told me they've been stopped multiple times for flimsy reasons.
Random stops are already illegal; absent reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime is being, has been, or is about to be committed, it is illegal to pull over, or detain anyone.

Forum List

Back