Dollar Shave Club just went bankrupt.

Morally anyway....

Here is part of an email I got from them.

Action matters and conversation matters, but financial support matters too. Alongside each of our Unilever sister brands, DSC will contribute $100,000 to Black Lives Matter. Additionally, for every dollar that our employees collectively donate to this cause, DSC's leadership team will personally match those dollars, up to $25,000.

I will never give money to a company that funds terrorist organizations.

Now I've gotta use fuckin Bic razors.

Goddamn commies.

Hey man..old school single blades work. Personna makes these cheap doubles that are solid with a hair-pusher-outer on the back. You push the hairs out and can bang it on the side of the sink without it falling apart.. Like $6 a 6-pack..or is that 12? FYI: Personna makes most of the razor blades in America. They supply all the others.
I've been using an old women's leg razor with old blades, that worked great for like 5 years...then I bought some "current gen" blades which wear out really quick. I'm used to Wilkinson Swords n stuff.

If anyone can recommend a current-day Wilkinson Sword-type blade, that'd be nice.

I got shaved once with a straightrazor by an old Viet guy, towel on the face and all. He knew what he was doing.
The hot towel on the face is part of it. It's like an institution that's been going on since the 1800s.
You don't need the hair pusher-outer if you use soft soap instead of stupidly expensive aerosol shave poop.....The hair just rinses right out.

Morally anyway....

Here is part of an email I got from them.

Action matters and conversation matters, but financial support matters too. Alongside each of our Unilever sister brands, DSC will contribute $100,000 to Black Lives Matter. Additionally, for every dollar that our employees collectively donate to this cause, DSC's leadership team will personally match those dollars, up to $25,000.

I will never give money to a company that funds terrorist organizations.

Now I've gotta use fuckin Bic razors.

Goddamn commies.

Hey man..old school single blades work. Personna makes these cheap doubles that are solid with a hair-pusher-outer on the back. You push the hairs out and can bang it on the side of the sink without it falling apart.. Like $6 a 6-pack..or is that 12? FYI: Personna makes most of the razor blades in America. They supply all the others.
I've been using an old women's leg razor with old blades, that worked great for like 5 years...then I bought some "current gen" blades which wear out really quick. I'm used to Wilkinson Swords n stuff.

If anyone can recommend a current-day Wilkinson Sword-type blade, that'd be nice.

I got shaved once with a straightrazor by an old Viet guy, towel on the face and all. He knew what he was doing.
The hot towel on the face is part of it. It's like an institution that's been going on since the 1800s.
You don't need the hair pusher-outer if you use soft soap instead of stupidly expensive aerosol shave poop.....The hair just rinses right out.
I do use soft soap. Usually have to lather up twice with a drop each time.

There is only one way for a man to shave ...

View attachment 346464
I shave in the shower and use regular bar soap. A lot less mess that way and faster too.

A good shave soap needs to be lathered. The best way to do that is with a badger brush. A silver tip badger brush will last you a couple of lifetimes.

proraso-shaving-soap-refreshing-eucalyptus-150ml.jpg

View attachment 346464
I shave in the shower and use regular bar soap. A lot less mess that way and faster too.
I use an old women's leg razor version of that. I tried the man's one, it cut me up.
Been using a decades-old women's Gillette leg razor for 6 years now.
That has the butterfly top whereas the women's leg razor is 3 parts with no hinges. Top, base, and handle.
My problem is sourcing blades. Have a few of the older ones, been through some, too. Bought some newer ones, they're thinner and do not last nearly as long.

View attachment 346464
I use an old women's leg razor version of that. I tried the man's one, it cut me up.
Been using a decades-old women's Gillette leg razor for 6 years now.
That has the butterfly top whereas the women's leg razor is 3 parts with no hinges. Top, base, and handle.
My problem is sourcing blades. Have a few of the older ones, been through some, too. Bought some newer ones, they're thinner and do not last nearly as long.

I can't say enough good things about Feather Brand safety razor blades (made in Japan). They are ultra sharp, long lasting, and priced very competitively in packages of 100 more on Amazon and EBay.

Some people say they are "too sharp". Here's the thing about sharp. If you're used to using a less than sharp razor (like disposables) then you're used to having to pull the razor across your face with a little bit of force to get it to work. However, if you've shaved with a sharp straight or safety, you learn a lighter touch, letting the blade do the work, no you.

I hear from several people who switch from disposables to proper blades that they cut themselves to ribbons. It is because they are using too much force, a bad habit picked up from using a crappy razor.

Even better, if you get a good safety razor, like a Dovo, it will be much heavier in your hand. This weight will do all the work for you, it will do all the work for you, you just have to guide, not pull, the razor across your hair to get a super smooth shave.

Forum List

Back