Does Being a Musician Appeal To You ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
In the USA, currently only 8% of the population are musicians. By musicians, I mean people who play at least one instrument well enough to entertain friends, family, neighbors. Some musicians may also play professionally. Others teach the instrument(s) that they play.

As a musician myself, I find it amazing that so few people take advantage of their abilities as human beings, to partake in this fun and rewarding experience. I wonder how people who don't play any musical instruments feel about it. Would they like to play a musical instrument ? If so, why don't they do it, and add such a nice aspect to their lives ?

I have tried a couple times. Never held my interest. I have always been the rough and tumble sort. Instruments are too sedentary. Sitting for hours picking at a guitar or blowing on a horn loses its appeal quickly.

I grew up in a family who loved music.

So yes, of course music appeals to me!

Also I prefer some musicians more than others..... classic music musicians are amazing too!

All six of my brothers and sisters make a living with music on a classical music level...I have tried everything from a guitar to a harmonica and I just suck at it....maybe Rambunctious was adopted???

:eusa_think:...

I have tried a couple times. Never held my interest. I have always been the rough and tumble sort. Instruments are too sedentary. Sitting for hours picking at a guitar or blowing on a horn loses its appeal quickly.
Try sitting for MINUTES and doing it. Later in the day, minutes again. Eventually, you could get pretty good at it.

In the USA, currently only 8% of the population are musicians. By musicians, I mean people who play at least one instrument well enough to entertain friends, family, neighbors. Some musicians may also play professionally. Others teach the instrument(s) that they play.

As a musician myself, I find it amazing that so few people take advantage of their abilities as human beings, to partake in this fun and rewarding experience. I wonder how people who don't play any musical instruments feel about it. Would they like to play a musical instrument ? If so, why don't they do it, and add such a nice aspect to their lives ?
Most people are just good listeners.......but there's always the air-guitar.
I played a brass instrument from the time I was 7. I stopped playing after H.S.....because I joined the military.

I've played guitar for 45 years. Frankly, I should probably be better than I am, but I'm no slouch.

My first foray into music was when I was in third grade and wanted to play saxophone in the band. Well, when you're in the third grade, they don't give you a sax. They give you a clarinet. After a year on that monstrosity I moved to sax and all was right with the world. I played sax up until my senior year of high school, ending up on the baritone sax, ala Gerry Mulligan.

While playing sax, I bought a drum set. That was a short-lived endeavor and, in 1977 I bought my first guitar. I've been playing guitar ever since...

37158_1676163626146_304435_n.jpg
1441543_10202537287215625_970355642_n.jpg

All six of my brothers and sisters make a living with music on a classical music level...I have tried everything from a guitar to a harmonica and I just suck at it....maybe Rambunctious was adopted???

:eusa_think:...
Ever take any lessons ? With the right guidance, you might find it easier than you thought. I've been teaching 4 different instruments, in 7 genres, with 2 different music schools, since 2015. I have a business card that reads >>

Become a Musician
In ONE HOUR
Guitar-Violin-Mandolin

I've had lots of students who were amazed at how they could play 3 chords and from that, hundreds of songs, after a one hour lesson. The violin students were able to play half of a tune (melody) in one hour, and a whole tune/song (32 bars) after only their 2nd lesson.

Ever take any lessons ? With the right guidance, you might find it easier than you thought. I've been teaching 4 different instruments, in 7 genres, with 2 different music schools, since 2015. I have a business card that reads >>

Become a Musician
In ONE HOUR
Guitar-Violin-Mandolin

I've had lots of students who were amazed at how they could play 3 chords and from that, hundreds of songs, after a one hour lesson. The violin students were able to play half of a tune in one hour, and a whole tune/song (32 bars) after only their 2nd lesson.
I have...my sister tried but I was interested in other things like surfing and playing on anything that included water or snow...and now my ageing knees can tell you the rest of the story...

I suspect that instead of 8% of Americans being musicians, about 70% could be, if they really tried and just took a few lessons.

The only instrument that I ever took any lessons for is the piano. That was twenty five years ago and because I didn't stay with it, I don't remember as much now compared to then.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back