Does anybody here lease a vehicle?

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
My new job is working parts of refunds for vehicle lease companies.

I've noticed that these lease companies get ticket information, and property tax information on their customers.
Now I can understand the tickets.......but what the fuck does property taxes have to do with a lease vehicle??

Nobody at work knows. So I was wondering if anybody here leases a vehicle, and can tell me what a clients property taxes have to do with leasing a vehicle?

If you need to sue a Lessee - particularly a wastrel who leases his cars - you will not likely be able to collect on the judgment unless they have some equity in real estate. Otherwise, they are effectively judgment-proof.

If you need to sue a Lessee - particularly a wastrel who leases his cars - you will not likely be able to collect on the judgment unless they have some equity in real estate. Otherwise, they are effectively judgment-proof.

Oh, so if somebody does something to the leased vehicle and thier insurance doesn't pay and the lessee won't pay, the company can sue for judgement against their property holdings?

Tax liens are superior to all others. They are looking at their position in case of default is my best guess

I've noticed that these lease companies get ticket information, and property tax information on their customers.
Now I can understand the tickets.......but what the fuck does property taxes have to do with a lease vehicle??

Nobody at work knows. So I was wondering if anybody here leases a vehicle, and can tell me what a clients property taxes have to do with leasing a vehicle?

Don't some states charge property tax on vehicles? Even it isn't your state, they lease cars to people in all states.

One of the reasons (on a superficial basis--without delving into nefarious things they could do with it) is to verify your address. So if you live at 1234 Main Street and your work is at 9876 Elm Street, and those addresses are 60 miles apart, they can calculate the amount of miles you'll drive in a year which leads to depreciation and is built into your rate. Anyone can lie about where they live to get a lower mileage. If you're paying taxes for a residence at 1234 Main Street...they can deduce that is where you live.

Not me, I pay cash outright for everything. Brand new vehicles are not on my horizon.
Maybe if they finance me and let me pay it off with no penalties within 3 mos. (Not gonna happen)
I got 2 vehicles and other things to maintain already. Yeah, some things just aren't for me. :dunno:
Not a rich man.

Last edited:

Property tax on the car, possibly.

So............

Do leasing companies only lease to people with property then?

People who don't own property don't have any holdings for the leasing company to get judgements against for their loss.
Certainly not. Many people lease cars without owning property.

Forum List

Back