Dodd to announce retirement tomorrow

Polk

Classic
Aug 25, 2009
Ost
Embattled Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd (D) has scheduled a press conference at his home in Connecticut Wednesday at which he is expected to announce he will not seek re-election, according to sources familiar with his plans.

Dodd's retirement comes after months of speculation about his political future, and amid faltering polling numbers and a growing sense among the Democratic establishment that he could not win a sixth term. It also comes less than 24 hours after Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) announced he would not seek re-election.

The Fix - Chris Dodd to step aside

This is a case where the Democrats actually have a better shot at retaining the seat because it's open.

Embattled Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd (D) has scheduled a press conference at his home in Connecticut Wednesday at which he is expected to announce he will not seek re-election, according to sources familiar with his plans.

Dodd's retirement comes after months of speculation about his political future, and amid faltering polling numbers and a growing sense among the Democratic establishment that he could not win a sixth term. It also comes less than 24 hours after Sen. Byron Dorgan (D-N.D.) announced he would not seek re-election.

This is a case where the Democrats actually have a better shot at retaining the seat because it's open.

sounds Johnsonesque in a way.

Another one sees the iceberg and jumps from the USS 0bama...

Dodd retiring has a lot more to do with his own "issues" he is having than it does with what is going in the Senate or the White House.

Dodd's role in the Banking Crisis of the past year sealed his fate come election time and he knew it. He's backing out now so the Democrats at least have a chance.

Dodd was messing up as previously stated long before Obama was even on the scene.

Another one sees the iceberg and jumps from the USS 0bama...

Even when Obama was at 60%+, Dodd was trailing his most likely challenger.

That confirms my theory.

Yeah, Dodd's a dud. I remember back during the primaries last year, I asked a friend why Dodd was in the race when we were watching the debate. He told me "I guess the boring white guy quota wasn't filled". I think that sums Dodd up pretty nicely.

:lol::lol::lol: The Rat's leaving the sink'in ship already---:lol::lol::lol: As far as another democrat replacing him---why would the citizens--trust another democrat. Over the past several weeks Dodd can't even head home because there are so many protestors standing around his home.

Dodd's role in the Banking Crisis of the past year sealed his fate come election time and he knew it. He's backing out now so the Democrats at least have a chance.

Dodd was messing up as previously stated long before Obama was even on the scene.

I guess this is why he didn't take over as chairman of HELP after Kennedy died.

:lol::lol::lol: The Rat's leaving the sink'in ship already---:lol::lol::lol: As far as another democrat replacing him---why would the citizens--trust another democrat. Over the past several weeks Dodd can't even head home because there are so many protestors standing around his home.

No one has polled it because Dodd was running and that would have drove off any strong challengers, but it's highly probable that Blumenthal jumps in the race now. If he does, it's his to lose.

Pretty much. The writing has been on the wall for awhile. His buddy Harry Reid will be joining him by this time next year with any luck.

Pretty much. The writing has been on the wall for awhile. His buddy Harry Reid will be joining him by this time next year with any luck.

You know, in the scheme of things, that's probably not a bad thing. Reid is horribly ineffective as majority leader. He seems more intent on making the Democratic caucus seem like a cool party than actually governing.

Forum List

Back