CDZ Do You Support Term Limits For Congress?

Do You Support Term Limits For Congress

• Yes

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Undecided

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

SNAFUBARIFIC

Dec 26, 2018
The powers that be imposed term limits on the POTUS (mostly due to FDR's 4 terms), why not term limits for Congress?

Absolutely. The top priorities of our "leaders" are clearly fundraising, pleasing the (insane) base and re-election. Combined with a change to publicly-funded elections, this would largely put a stop to that.

We can pretend that they don't behave and vote differently because of those priorities, but we'd be lying.

We're also lying when we say that "elections are term limits", because incumbents obviously have a significant advantage and build their power base over time.

We can change the system under which these people are allowed to operate, or we can just keep bending over and taking it.

Last edited:
The powers that be imposed term limits on the POTUS (mostly due to FDR's 4 terms), why not term limits for Congress?

Members elected to Congress are 1/435 or 1/100. Their power is, by definition, diluted. That isn't the case with the President.
So, you're OK with carreer politicians? The main reason so many of them are out of touch with the regular Joe is because many of them have never held a JOB outside of politics.

To me, that doesn't make for good representation...IMHO...

Thanks for the replies, all.

Have a good morning!

I wish the actual problem could be fixed. AKA voters
But that certainly wont happen. This is the next best thing.

Members elected to Congress are 1/435 or 1/100. Their power is, by definition, diluted. That isn't the case with the President.
So, you're OK with carreer politicians?
You bet.

Are you okay with career physicians? Career Attorneys? Career Plumbers? These folks are all employees of ours; politicians are no different. The Difference with politicians is that their compensation is taken by statute out of our pockets and we volunteered avail ourselves of the services of the others. That and also, if you call a plumber over to your house to fix your hot water heater, your neighbor doesn’t get theirs fixed. You get a direct benefit. When you call a city councilperson to put a park in your neighborhood, you and your neighbors benefit but the people on the other side of town who pay her (the councilperson) do not so they get upset at the “do nothing” council because they’re not seeing a direct benefit.

Politics is a profession; just as is the law, medicine, plumbing… It’s best left to the professionals. Our circus atmosphere in Washington should make that truth vividly clear.

The main reason so many of them are out of touch with the regular Joe is because many of them have never held a JOB outside of politics.
Ok. Makes you wonder how nobody who has had a job outside of politics gets elected. Gee. I wonder how that happens. Oh yeah…apathetic voters who can’t be bothered with being civic minded, can’t be bothered with studying the issues, and think that the only relevant issues are the ones they face.

We get the government we deserve.

I think you’re right about that. But I’d rather have someone who is fighting to get a larger slice of the pie for me, my community, my district, my state...(because that is what the people on the other side of town are doing). That is best done by having someone who knows the political realities and can anticipate and plot a strategy.

Have a good morning!

You as well.

Absolutely. The top priorities of our "leaders" are clearly fundraising, pleasing the (insane) base and re-election. Combined with a change to publicly-funded elections, this would largely put a stop to that.

We can pretend that they don't behave and vote differently because of those priorities, but we'd be lying.

We're also lying when we say that "elections are term limits", because incumbents obviously have a significant advantage and build their power base over time.

We can change the system under which these people are allowed to operate, or we can just keep bending over and taking it.
I would agree completely, however, I do have a different idea about funding. The NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA all have "salary caps". The intent is to create an environment where "any team can be equally competitive". Unfortunately, it doesn't work completely, but it is the best idea I am aware of. Therefore, I would be in favor of a type of "salary cap" for elections. You can pay as much as you want for any good or service in your campaign, but you cannot spend more than a certain amount in total. I don't have an idea as far as what that amount would be, let's discuss that. I might even go one step further, to say a cap on primary election spending and a cap on total spending. That has one inherent problem though. It tips the scales in favor of anyone who doesn't spend as much in the primary. Worth discussing and considering though as it would make relative "unknown" candidacies more viable. Of course fundraising would still be from private donors.

There is another place to reform as well. Lower caps on donors to ensure that the very wealthy and businesses/corporations are less influential with their donations.

The president has term limits, congress doesn't

You don’t say.
I was just stating the obvious regarding your post, Candy.

I would agree completely, however, I do have a different idea about funding. The NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA all have "salary caps". The intent is to create an environment where "any team can be equally competitive". Unfortunately, it doesn't work completely, but it is the best idea I am aware of. Therefore, I would be in favor of a type of "salary cap" for elections. You can pay as much as you want for any good or service in your campaign, but you cannot spend more than a certain amount in total. I don't have an idea as far as what that amount would be, let's discuss that. I might even go one step further, to say a cap on primary election spending and a cap on total spending. That has one inherent problem though. It tips the scales in favor of anyone who doesn't spend as much in the primary. Worth discussing and considering though as it would make relative "unknown" candidacies more viable. Of course fundraising would still be from private donors.

There is another place to reform as well. Lower caps on donors to ensure that the very wealthy and businesses/corporations are less influential with their donations.

Interesting idea. I like it.

I personally think that the State-Controlled airwaves should be made available free of charge to anyone with demonstrated support during the biannual elections for federal office. By that I mean that the radio and television stations that are licensed by the FCC should be required to run candidate-produced advertisements on a 1:1 ratio.

You should be able to buy whatever you wish above that (using your salary cap idea of course) but it would give anyone with demonstrated support a voice. By “demonstrated support”, I mean those who get signers to a petition, are on the ballot, or other legitimate means of demonstrating that they have some game. It won’t get the money out of politics (which should be job #1) but it would put more voices into the public debate sphere.

So, you're OK with carreer politicians? The main reason so many of them are out of touch with the regular Joe is because many of them have never held a JOB outside of politics.

Have a good morning!

"In 1988, I invested most of the earnings from this lecture circuit acquiring the leasehold on Connecticut’s Stratford Inn. … In retrospect, I wish I had known more about the hazards and difficulties of such a business, especially during a recession of the kind that hit New England just as I was acquiring the inn’s 43-year leasehold. I also wish that during the years I was in public office, I had had this firsthand experience about the difficulties business people face every day. That knowledge would have made me a better U.S. senator and a more understanding presidential contender."
George McGovern How To Create Jobs, By George McGovern

"Joe Biden: ‘I’ve Never Been Gainfully Employed In My Life’"
Joe Biden: ‘I’ve Never Been Gainfully Employed In My Life’ | Breitbart

Have a good morning!

"In 1988, I invested most of the earnings from this lecture circuit acquiring the leasehold on Connecticut’s Stratford Inn. … In retrospect, I wish I had known more about the hazards and difficulties of such a business, especially during a recession of the kind that hit New England just as I was acquiring the inn’s 43-year leasehold. I also wish that during the years I was in public office, I had had this firsthand experience about the difficulties business people face every day. That knowledge would have made me a better U.S. senator and a more understanding presidential contender."

EXACTLY my point!!! Congress puts out a LOT of crappy, clueless legislation, mostly because I don't think half of them have any real world experience...

Have a good morning!

EXACTLY my point!!! Congress puts out a LOT of crappy, clueless legislation, mostly because I don't think half of them have any real world experience...

And you are exactly correct.

But....all their voters care about is the 'D'

You want term limits? Get an amendment on the ballot. Failing that you can whine, cry and stamp your feet all you want it ain't happening.

I personally think that the State-Controlled airwaves should be made available free of charge to anyone with demonstrated support during the biannual elections for federal office. By that I mean that the radio and television stations that are licensed by the FCC should be required to run candidate-produced advertisements on a 1:1 ratio.
An interesting idea. One which I am not completely opposed to, however, I am slow to endorse anything requiring private firms to do any particular thing, especially when it involves government and money. Now, you say it would be "free air time", that air time costs money. If the candidates don't pay for it, and the government doesn't pay for it, the stations/networks would have to pay for it. Even if that were only in lost advertisement revenue.

Forum List

Back