Zone1 do you feed the wild birds in winter?

Feeding birds might not be too bad, but if you ever feed one stray cat, you'll have a whole heard of those bastards swarming your porch within a week.

My aunt in law lives down the highway and I adore her, but I'm glad she's not closer. She started feeding strays a few years ago and now her home is a land of insanity. She has just a couple that are actually her pets and live inside. Outside is crazy with cats everywhere. She still feeds them though. I think she spends almost as much as the national debt on cat food.

I am against feeding wildlife in general. I will feed birds in my yard but not with a bird feeder. I scatter it around the yard so they forage for it as in nature.

My aunt in law lives down the highway and I adore her, but I'm glad she's not closer. She started feeding strays a few years ago and now her home is a land of insanity. She has just a couple that are actually her pets and live inside. Outside is crazy with cats everywhere. She still feeds them though. I think she spends almost as much as the national debt on cat food.
Been there, done that, but It was winter and I felt so sorry for them. After a few months, I realized they are cats, the most vicious and prolific killer on earth. Complete species of birds are extint because of cats, who like to torture their prey before killing it. They will feed themselves.

I feed anything that wants food. Cats, birds, possums, raccoons, etc. I will never turn my back on a hungry animal. We are invading their turf with this concrete jungle so yeah..I feed 'em. Not supposed to, but I told my landlord he can bitch all he wants..I'll still feed them. And I do.
I get at LEAST 50 hummingbirds all day, every day due to all the feeders I have out there too. Even wasps, that bombard the sugar water. So now they have their own bowls so the hummers are left alone. Every one of them that depends on me is polite with each other and share.:spinner:

Yes.

I keep seed and suet available all year round. From April to October I keep hummingbird feeders out too. I'll put out oranges for the Orioles when I see them come around as well

I love my birds

No but we have a fountain in the front of the house that waters then year round... and our GSD provides tons of warm fur regularly that I brush out of her. It's funny to watch, birds around here know this. And I can brush her out and in no time there are birds flying in and gathering the fur.

Yup.
Started several years ago when we kept chickens and I'd scatter their feed and seed on the ground. Local wild birds got word and spread it.
Since then, I've taken to throwing out more seed, and bread pieces, in a few locations in our backyard. Also a couple of those suet packs are out there as well.
Hummingbirds have a few feeders also and have for even longer.

We do have a couple cats and one is a hunter, but only gets a few birds a year, mostly going after rats and mice. He is major rodent control around here.

Here's an interesting and short article;

It’s OK to Feed Wild Birds – Here Are Some Tips for Doing It the Right Way​

Millions of Americans feed wild birds, especially in winter and spring. Studies show that this can influence birds’ health and behavior in surprising ways.

we here do ….
I did and I loved it. I had the perfect place for it and I could sit and identify every bird with my handy little book.
But then, I fed a stray cat and made it mine and two hawks took residency in a high tree overlooking my porch and all three of those miscreants were caught eating birds, so I stopped feeding birds. Sad day. I miss them.

I am against feeding wildlife in general. I will feed birds in my yard but not with a bird feeder. I scatter it around the yard so they forage for it as in nature.
That's it. Get them on the ground. It's easier for the cats.

Forum List

Back