Do You Complain About Where You Live?

I have very specific complaints that are more related to zoning/code policies, but for the most part I am perfectly content in my miserable southern existence. I have lived in DC, NYC, and a few other places, but I find that being able to have land around me, a huge crowd being 5 people in line in front of the grocery store, and a major traffic jam being 10 cars at the same intersection a higher quality life than being able to once in a blue moon visit a museum or a show. Sure a lot of my old friends are richer than I am but mostly just on paper since their debt loads are insane compared to mine. I don't have $10K a year property tax bills on my house nor do I have some insane mortgage. My house payment isn't much more than my combined internet, TV and telephones bills and it will soon be paid off completely within the first 10 years of me buying the place because when I run out of other things to spend money on, I put it on the old mortgage. Despite what blue city democrats would have you believe, I get by better on less money in nowhereville than I got by on a lot more money in those other places.

Nothing wrong with any of that, it's all about with where you're comfortable, and living in a place where crime is as low as property taxes is certainly appealing, provided one can be happy with fewer things to do than you'll find in more populated locations.

"Living on the other side of the tracks" has traditionally been meant to imply separation between "good" and "not good" neighborhoods. In these examples, a single "not good" neighborhood is cleaved by an active railway.

View attachment 492772

I am not so sure that the "other side of the tracks" exists anymore in most US locales. With gentrification of the historically less affluent part of cities and the current policies of mixing low income with higher priced homes in new neighborhoods the "other side of the tracks" have largely disappeared. I believe the thinking was to separate the thugs and they would be easier to control.

I have very specific complaints that are more related to zoning/code policies, but for the most part I am perfectly content in my miserable southern existence. I have lived in DC, NYC, and a few other places, but I find that being able to have land around me, a huge crowd being 5 people in line in front of the grocery store, and a major traffic jam being 10 cars at the same intersection a higher quality life than being able to once in a blue moon visit a museum or a show. Sure a lot of my old friends are richer than I am but mostly just on paper since their debt loads are insane compared to mine. I don't have $10K a year property tax bills on my house nor do I have some insane mortgage. My house payment isn't much more than my combined internet, TV and telephones bills and it will soon be paid off completely within the first 10 years of me buying the place because when I run out of other things to spend money on, I put it on the old mortgage. Despite what blue city democrats would have you believe, I get by better on less money in nowhereville than I got by on a lot more money in those other places.

Nothing wrong with any of that, it's all about with where you're comfortable, and living in a place where crime is as low as property taxes is certainly appealing, provided one can be happy with fewer things to do than you'll find in more populated locations.

See that is the irony to me. When I lived in DC, sure there were a lot more things to do in theory, but that god awful time suck that commuting was made it fairly impractical to go out to a lot of them. 90 minutes each way to work is 3 hours of a day. After that I didn't want to turn around and spend another hour or more getting into Georgetown or wherever. I did a lot more going out and about in NYC because its subways are really good at getting you within a few blocks or less of any place you wanted to go. Unfortunately, our monthly rent payments on a tiny 2 bedroom apartment in midtown was close to the same as my annual mortgage payments in nowhereville. Plus NYC is no place to raise a family or have pets that need to be outside.

"Living on the other side of the tracks" has traditionally been meant to imply separation between "good" and "not good" neighborhoods. In these examples, a single "not good" neighborhood is cleaved by an active railway.
I like it just fine here in suburbia. Very liveable and surrounded by friendly and interesting people.

I sometimes complain about parts of life where I live.

Atlanta traffic can suck. Summer in Georgia can be rough.

But I like where I live.
Don't worry. Traffic sucks only until you retire. After that, you can choose when you leave the house. (If I plan to use them, I still check the interstate traffic reports.)

I think Atlanta is just about at the perfect elevation...1000 ft AMSL. Denver is too high, Miami is too low.

I live in one of the 10 best locations in the United States.

No, I won't tell you.
That is kind of subjective. I live in a depressed area that is not highly rated on most surveys--I am truly content. What is that old saw about "beauty is in the eye of the beholder." But, no, I'm not broadcasting where I live either.

View attachment 492772
I absolutely live my summer home on the lake. I am normally in it by now but still stuck in a city that I detest . Sown to last property to get rid of in the city and last few days. Hope to get all property closed in next two weeks and then will be in this city no more Can't wait!

View attachment 492772
That's pretty horrifying. Nope. Can't do it. I've lived next to airports, the red line, but like that? Nope. Not doing it.

I live in the "ghetto" because I got the job and needed to move us and found the house online. Perfect set up, yes. Also, no and I was a dumbass.

I don't complain. I ridicule. We have a fantastic nightlife during the summer. There are raids, foot traffic,, dealers, and tweakers. My entertainment is set. I'll be out of here by the fall.

Not at all I LOVE where I live. It's in west-central Florida in a small city that's 97% white or Hispanic. Kids play outdoors and people walk their dogs and we have NO problems. My family and I appreciate our wonderful governor and our excellent community.

We prefer to stay here but, on the infrequent occasion that we have to go into an area that has more black folks, I make sure that I'm heavily armed.

I've lived next to airports,...
I've lived almost exactly 10 miles (as the crow flies) from the East ends of the 5 parallel runways at HAIA (Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport) for over 20 years. My home is not considered near the airport, but it is under the flight path of East to West landings and West to East takeoffs on all 5 runways. In either direction, flights may go to the left or the right of my house...or directly over it.

Years ago, airliner engines were quite a bit noisier than they are today (especially when taking off) and the takeoff noise was enough to wake some people up in my neighborhood. (Today, it is hardly noticeable unless you're outside the house.) Being an aviation advocate and a sound sleeper, I don't mind the jet noise.

I've lived almost exactly 10 miles (as the crow flies) from the East ends of the 5 parallel runways at HAIA (Hartsfield Atlanta International Airport) for over 20 years. My home is not considered near the airport, but it is under the flight path of East to West landings and West to East takeoffs on all 5 runways. In either direction, flights may go to the left or the right of my house...or directly over it.

Years ago, airliner engines were quite a bit noisier than they are today (especially when taking off) and the takeoff noise was enough to wake some people up in my neighborhood. (Today, it is hardly noticeable unless you're outside the house.) Being an aviation advocate and a sound sleeper, I don't mind the jet noise.

My aunt's family lives in an old railroad section house. Section houses were crash pads for railroad workers in that section of the line. In their case, the rail bed hasn't moved much in the 100 years the house has been there so there is literally a railroad track in their backyard and said track is on a grade and in a curve. I personally think it is torture being in that house when a train is passing, especially when they are going east to west. They, however, barely even notice them any more and it isn't because trains have gotten any less noisy. They are just all half deaf from living practically right on the GDf'ing train tracks.

For the most part I've never complained and its all because of how things could've been if I had stayed where I used to be.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. On July 20th, it will be 25 years that I have been here in east Tennessee.

I do this often and have told it so many times I can't count them. I learned it decades ago.

Whenever I feel symptoms of oncoming self pity regarding any facet of my being, I just watch the news. It never fails that I see people that are in far worse conditions than mine.

I think it's funny how people stop their conversations and wait for the plane to pass and then restart the conversation.

II live near an AFB now but not close enough to it to be impacted at all by it. I want to move there for the stuff and I am up there frequently as it is but.................I would find myself dealing with the same noise crap. I will just move to the City and have stuff there without the airplanes.

Forum List

Back