Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Atheist

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Theist

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Other

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
Not the existence of ancient tribes. The existence of God. If such proof existed, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I guess you missed the point. The Bible, the word of God, has been proven to be legitimate and reliable. Therefore, if the Bible introduced us to tribes we never knew about, then just maybe everything else in there holds truth as well.

I guess you missed the point. The Bible, the word of God, has been proven to be legitimate and reliable. Therefore, if the Bible introduced us to tribes we never knew about, then just maybe everything else in there holds truth as well.

Or maybe it doesn't. Are you kidding me? Are you really arguing that the Bible is verifiable due to its accuracy as an historical record?

You really shouldn't expose yourself to a thoughtful conversation about this, as you've already admitted to not knowing "shit" about it.

You really shouldn't expose yourself to a thoughtful conversation about this, as you've already admitted to not knowing "shit" about it.

I don't know much about religion (compared to some), but I am pretty damn comfortable that the Bible isn't infallible as a historical record.

That's ONE example of the Bible holding truth: Historical records. There are more examples.

Furthermore, if you believe the history books, the archaeologists and the museums then the Bible should be added to your list of things you believe in. You might not have faith, but then again, you know we breathe air but can you see the air?

Last edited:
That statement is a complete lie and so full of blatant misrepresentation it doesn't deserve an answer.

If you want to learn about where the bible comes from, google it. It will take about 2 seconds to see how wrong everything written above is.

Do a little research my dear, the original writngs have been bastardized for centuries, several gospels were deliberately omitted because they failed to fit in with their remit.

By the way, shouldn't you be off somewhere advocating for the murder of prisoners (except we solve the problem of them actually being prisoners by killing them) - good Christian that you are.

To Reilly:
But you don't know, as you've already eloquently stated. You don't know what's in the bible, so I'm curious...how can you know it's not a good historic record? (BTW, the archaeologists of the world disagree with you.)

Therefore, all you're saying now is based upon nothing but your own hubris and ignorance.

Last edited:
Do a little research my dear, the original writngs have been bastardized for centuries, several gospels were deliberately omitted because they failed to fit in with their remit.

They were omitted because they weren't gospels, because they were not inspired by God, because they had factual errors and the authors had no connection to the stories they were writing.

Follow your own advice. The original writings are still around. They haven't been bastardized. They weren't challenged when they first started to come out...when people who had witnessed the events being written about were still alive.

That's ONE example of the Bible holding truth: Historical records. We can discuss more examples if you like?

Furthermore, if you believe the history books, the archaeologists and the museums then the Bible should be added to your list of things you believe in. You might not have faith, but then again, you know we breathe air but can you see the air?

What isn't important to me are instances where the Bible may appear to be correct. I wouldn't be surprised if their weren't some. It is based in some part on historical accounts. What would interest me is if there are any accounts in the Bible that are contradicted by historical or scientific record, as it seems to me that one piece of Bible fallibility would call the very basis of the belief into question.

Air? Give me a break. We are talking about God here. Air's existence can be proven through reproducible scientific techniques. I've never seen a bunsen burner test for the almighty.

To Reilly:
But you don't know, as you've already eloquently stated. You don't know what's in the bible, so I'm curious...how can you know it's not a good historic record? (BTW, the archaeologists of the world disagree with you.)

Therefore, all you're saying now is based upon nothing but your own hubris and ignorance.

Perhaps I overstated. I know a bit of what is in the Bible.

Now, you want to discuss the topic, then discuss the topic and keep up. Otherwise, go prepare a petition for the murder of prisoners you psychotic witch.

They were omitted because they weren't gospels, because they were not inspired by God, because they had factual errors and the authors had no connection to the stories they were writing.

Follow your own advice. The original writings are still around. They haven't been bastardized. They weren't challenged when they first started to come out...when people who had witnessed the events being written about were still alive.

Hahahahahahahahahaha...OK, but then you have a vested interest in believing that, I don't, I can look at all the available evidence and come to a totally opposite conclusion.

What isn't important to me are instances where the Bible may appear to be correct. I wouldn't be surprised if their weren't some. It is based in some part on historical accounts. What would interest me is if there are any accounts in the Bible that are contradicted by historical or scientific record, as it seems to me that one piece of Bible fallibility would call the very basis of the belief into question.

Air? Give me a break. We are talking about God here. Air's existence can be proven through reproducible scientific techniques. I've never seen a bunsen burner test for the almighty.

Our knowledge and understanding isn't that great. I don't think there has been any contradictions. Actually there is more evidence supporting it.

Our knowledge and understanding isn't that great. I don't think there has been any contradictions. Actually there is more evidence supporting it.

More evidence supporting it is almost irrelevant, as the aura of its infallibility is burst with even one firm contradiction with historical or scientific evidence. I don't think anyone disputes that it may be historically accurate in some respects. It is a collection of stories after all. There is no reason to think that some of the stories wouldn't be based on historical fact.

It is late tonight (in London), but if you like, I will find some instances of historical and scientific inaccuracies in the Bible. Even a quick look on the internet turned up quite a few.

I am not meaning to try to shake your faith or anything. I was in a bad mood when I hopped on the message board and probably responded more stridently to you than I normally would have. If you really believe, you should and will clearly do so regardless of what a history or physics book says.

Well, you said "the original writngs have been bastardized for centuries" which seems to be not true, thought this link would help.

Thats the Old testament for jews, a far more ancient religion than christianity.The dead sea scrolls don't say Jesus is the son of God.The new testament is a movie script given the hollywood treatment to appeal to the masses.

The NT confirms everything that was said in the OT.

Question, So you believe in God? just not in the NT?

The NT confirms everything that was said in the OT.

Question, So you believe in God? just not in the NT?

No, I know that people have believed in God for a long time because they wrote about it, it doesn't mean it's true.The original believers in God do not believe Jesus was the son of God:cool:somebody or everybody is wrong, I think you are all wrong.

Forum List

Back